A certain someone around here loves her macaroni & cheese. We usually just make the Trader Joe’s brown rice version, but since we have an abundance of quinoa on hand (thank you Costco), I thought I’d try something a little different…
Quinoa & Cheese Casserole
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin or pureed winter squash
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- bread crumbs or crumbled crackers for topping (I used Blue Diamond Pecan Nut Thins)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, & pumpkin in a food processor or blender and stir together with cooked quinoa and cheddar. Salt & pepper to taste. (I thought it was salty enough but did add pepper).
- Spread quinoa & cheese mixture in a 9 x 9 baking dish, top with crumbled bread or crackers, & cover with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Definitely not Kraft Shells & Cheese, but if you’re looking for a lighter version of an old favorite, give it a try. Pretty tasty, and the leftovers were even better the next day.