Getting My Fill of Veggies

by HEAB on September 5, 2012

Been eating some green things around here.  Below is one of the easiest and tastiest dinners ever.  Another mom of multiples sent me the recipe after she’d seen it on Pinterest as neither of us has a lot of time to prep dinner these days.

Simply place a few chicken breasts, some chopped red potatoes, and veggies of choice (I used the frozen organic green beans from Costco – not straight from the garden, but still really good!) in a baking dish.   Then top with a packet of Italian salad dressing mix (Beware of MSG. I prefer this brand.) and a stick of melted butter.  Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 60 to 75 minutes.  I actually baked mine for about 80 minutes as the potatoes were not cooked through after just an hour.  Oh, and I also only used about 1/2 of the seasoning packet as I was afraid it would turn out too salty.  Turned out great.

Thanks to everyone for their crock-pot suggestions.  We’ve had a few mishaps, but pictured below is one of our better creations.

A good friend sent me her recipe for turkey chili.  You basically brown a pound of ground turkey with your favorite veggies, add two cans of crushed tomatoes and three cans of drained beans, and stir in 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate overnight and then cook in your crock-pot on low for 4 to 5 hours.  We served it with my favorite cornbread.  Delicious!

What’s missing from this post?  Broccoli!  No worries…

I got my fix when I met up with my favorite broccoli eater for lunch at Whole Foods, but Heather, next time, we’re totally getting pancakes! ;)

Now, if I could just get our toddler to eat veggies.  We seem to be stuck on cheese and raisins this week.

Maren September 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I can’t wait to have children of my own and see the interesting combinations they “crave” that particular week! Seems taste buds are always changing with children!

That turkey recipe looks delicious and EASY! Thanks!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I totally pinned that same recipe!!! Glad you tried it, and gave it a good review–now I know! :)

Sarah R September 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

We are totally stuck on bananas and raisins here. My little boy used to eat peas and green beans with reckless abandonment. Now he won’t touch them with a ten foot pole. What is it about the raisins?

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Adorable picture of the two Heathers. Glad you two had a meetup!

Great job on making dinner, at all! Not enough hours in the day, I’m sure, with your three little bundles of joy you’re working with and around. Just to get anything hot on the table is a feat. Great work, mama :)

Sarah S. September 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

What a genius idea!! I imagine you could sub any “spice mix + salt” too. This is going to be happening ASAP. I don’t have three babes and making dinner is still a challenge! You are totally Supermom!

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:05 am

Sarah S.
Yeah, I’m anxious to try other spice combos or nothing but salt and butter. Can’t really go wrong with that combo…EVER. :)

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian September 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

That looks like a great, super easy way to get dinner on the table! As for broccoli – well, I’m a vegetarian and I still hate it lol. It’s one of the very very few veggies that I just don’t enjoy.

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:06 am

Lisa,
No worries – I’ll eat enough for both of us. :)

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate September 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Both of these meals look great! I love foods that are simple to make and/or quick to finish off when I get home from work. Loads of veggies and fiber-rich beans are an added bonus!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Cheese and raisins are good. That is a good portion of the food groups! Those dishes look great Heather! Sounds like you guys are doing pretty well getting through this tough time! You look amazing and I’m so jealous you and Heather got together! Two of my favorites!

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:07 am

Sarena,
You need to get your booty up to Nashville one of these days so that we can all get together!

Felicia September 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

how easy is that recipe! you had me at butter ;)

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

Felicia,
Thought you might like that one. :)

Samantha September 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe , we are making it tonight! Glad you’re finding easy hands off foods to make while your hands are full of precious cargo! The nursery looks great too, superwoman!

lindsay September 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm

that’s my favorite KISS MY BROCCOLI too! hehe. And we do the same thing, but in pot or skillet. I toss everything in there and cover with seasoning. BAM!

Sarah September 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

You have newborn twins and you are eating better than I am. ;)

Yvonne B. Fink September 6, 2012 at 8:36 am

So have enjoyed reading about your adventures. Your receipes are wonderful!! Thanks for all your information. Sincerely, Yvonne

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thanks for reading Yvonne. :)

katie @KatieDid September 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

That dinner does look incredibly simple, I thought the potatoes were apple chunks at first which would also be tasty! You spend more time making dinner than I do these days and I don’t have three little excuses running around ;)

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

Katie,
Yeah, apples would be really good, especially now that it’s almost fall. So ready for apple season!

purelylori September 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

Love simple and quick dinner ideas. Pinterest is great for finding great ideas!

Tracy September 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for another easy meal idea…we could all use those!

Good luck getting Summer to eat veggies! I’m convinced they either will or they won’t. Of my 4 kids, 2 gobble them up and 2 turn up their noses in disgust. I’m just going to continue being a good veggie eating and loving example and hope it eventually wears off on them!!

Have a great weekend, Heather!

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:11 am

Thanks for the encouragement Tracy. It’s so funny – one day Summer will love a certain food, and the next day, she won’t touch it. This weekend she is all about cottage cheese, but by Monday, she’ll be “all done. all done. all done.” with it, and you’re right – the best we can do is lead by example. I’ll keep trying.

Lara September 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I had seen this on Pinterest and bypassed it for some reason…then saw your post on it and had to go back and find the pin! Then it dawned on me I could have just pinned your post ;) Sorry–my brain is a little fried lately. At any rate, I can’t wait to try this now that I know it’s Heabie approved :)

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:12 am

Lara,
Fried brain? Me too. I could share so many stories…let’s just say I hope all the brain cells I lost during my pregnancies come back soon. They will, right?!?

Katie September 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That sounds so GOOD! I’m all about the easy, fast recipes these days too. I don’t have kids of my own, but sometimes, teaching feels that way. I get home and by the time I finish all my daily “chores”, I barely have time to stuff my face before crawling into bed and starting over. I can’t imagine having kids on top of that….

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:14 am

Katie,
I know – we both need more time for cookie baking, no?

Laura @ She Eats Well September 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Love love love the simplicity of this recipe. Also, I must say, I recently discovered that your blog was back up (I know I am late to know!) but it makes me happy. Love your positive tone.

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thanks Laura, and I hope you try the recipe soon. So easy and delicious!

Jess September 7, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you for that recipe! Looks achieveable even for me! :) just keep offering the toddler a variety of foods. Eventually she will try them.

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

Jess,
OK, we’ll keep at it. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

polly September 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

heather PEACH!
girl… gonna make that butter chicken dish. seriously, now… how yummy are little potatoes in butter?

and the friend that sent you that chili recipe must love you. a LOT. :)
XOXO

tell Summie that she can have tortilla chips for her veggie. works for me. ;)

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:16 am

Polly Peach,
Yes, that turkey chili creator is pretty awesome. Love HER a lot. :)

Meagan September 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Whole Foods trip! Good food! How fun :)

Simply Life September 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm

cornbread and chili is one of my favorite combos!

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:17 am

Simply Life,
Mine too – you can’t beat it!

Britt @ Taking Orders from a Cookie September 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Wow, that chicken dish looks delicious! It would be great even without the italian dressing, but I bet it really brings out the flavours. I’m going to try it for sure (both ways!)

HEAB September 9, 2012 at 12:17 am

Britt,
I agree. I think it would be just as delicious with nothing but butter and salt. Hope you enjoy it!

Hayley September 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm

That’s so weird…I could’ve sworn I left a comment here this morning but now I can’t find it. Ok I’ll try again!

I wanted to say that I’m really glad you’re back to blogging again and I give you major props for doing so! I can’t ever complain about being busy with just Chloe – you’re doing awesome for taking care of a toddler and twins..not to mention you look great! I’m so glad you’re doing well and are happy.

On a totally random note, do you still drink coffee creamer? I was reading back through your blog and looking for some recipes when I came across your “Creamer Confessional.” I was using sugar-free creamer for a while and then switched to “Natural Bliss” because it as more natural but I discovered (by curiously measuring) that I’m using a good 3-4 TB per CUP! That’s added up to a buttload of calories so I was thinking of switching back to SF…or just getting my taste buds used to milk.

Lots of love to you guys!

Lisa September 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I absolutely love roasted veggies! It’s one of my favorite things to do in the winter…some green beans, onions, chunks of squash roasted in the oven….yum!