Knacks

by HEAB on September 26, 2012

We used to be a 3-meal a day family, plus a snack or two if anyone got hungry.  Well, apparently someone didn’t get that memo…

Hiking with her snack cup.

Knack knack knack – our favorite word these days.  When we first introduced Summer to solids, I tried to sit down with her for at least one or two meals a day.  However, since the twins arrived, that doesn’t happen much anymore,  and by the time Summer eats breakfast, I’ve usually been up for a while (read I’ve already eaten, and I’m on my second or third cup of coffee).  She also eats an early lunch and dinner, and it’s challenging for me to sit down with her at those times.   I’m doing my best to prepare meals for her, but most days, she’d rather just graze.

Some of our favorite snacks (this week anyway) include cheese, raisins, blueberries, grapes, rice Chex cereal, these animal cookies, and bananas.  We went through a Larabar phase, but nope, those are all done now.  Cashews get thrown at the dogs as does anything else with a disagreeable texture.  We avoid wheat & cinnamon (allergies), and that limits us when it comes to the usual snack cup-friendly fare.  In other words, no cheerios, goldfish, graham crackers, etc.  However, I did find a great recipe for gluten-free cheese crackers that were a huge hit with the whole family.

I used this recipe and highly recommend it.  Was super easy too!

I would love any other ideas for portable snacks.  Please leave your favorites in the comments below…PLEASE. ;)

P.S. Click here to see the winner of Zesty’s WordPress Workshop.

Kara September 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE your boots and dress! May I ask where you got them?
And I have a house full of little snackers… it is the only word I hear all day!

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Kara,
The dress is from Forever 21. I bought it this past Friday for $6!!! It was 50% off the sale price. The boots are from Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse, and the brand is Franco Sarto.

Ozlem October 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Heather- you do not have to respond to this, I imagine you are crazy busy and this is not that important but where is this dress and the boots? I am sure I will love them too and I was just curious. Thanks.

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I don’t think I have ever heard of a cinnamon allergy! Wheat’s so easy to avoid these days, but oh, I feel for her on the cinnamon! At least she gets cheese crackers, made with love :-)

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Jennie,
Yeah, the cinnamon thing is no fun. It causes a red rash on her face, and wheat exacerbates her eczema. :(

Anna W. October 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm

My son (14 months) has the cinnamon thing, too! I found out when feeding him oatmeal and freaked out. I had never heard of it before. My husband is a pediatrician so luckily he calmed me down. Seems to be a rash but not painful…do you think Summer’s cinnamon and/or wheat issues will go away with time (or does your doc think so). Congrats on the twins! PS: Elliot (my son) calls snacks “kacks” and it is his fave word and that darn snack cup is his new obsession :)

HEAB October 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Anna W.
I know – we must never leave home without the snack cup! Happy to hear we’re not the only ones. :)

Re. the cinnamon, we discovered it when feeding Summer yogurt with cinnamon. She kept getting a red rash all around her mouth, and I finally figured it out when I got some of the yogurt on her forehead, and it left a red streak for a few hours. Same thing as your son – doesn’t seem to be painful or bother her, just gets bright red. Our Dr. thought she might have outgrown it by now and told us to try cinnamon again if we wanted. So, I gave her TWO bites of cinnamon Chex cereal a month or so ago, and the rash appeared immediately. We have adults in the family with a cinnamon allergy, and so it might be with her for life. Hoping she’ll outgrow the wheat thing if she ever completely outgrows the eczema. It’s gotten so much better, and she only has a few patches left on her legs/ankles. Hope Elliot is able to enjoy cinnamon himself one of these days. It’s my favorite spice! Hate that Summer can’t enjoy it right now, and it’s in so many baked goods. :(

Sarah September 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm

We also do cherry tomatoes, dried apricots, popcorn, chickpeas straight from the can, fruit leathers, Babybel or string cheese and of course, pickles!

We’ve got lots of knackers around here.

Ameena September 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Maya used to knock back the snacks like there was no tomorrow…I used to give her tons of fruit, corn, turkey, smoked salmon, shrimp, yogurt, popcorn, Sun Chips, seaweed, sushi…

Now that she’s older I’ve curbed the snacking thing. Otherwise she won’t eat her meals and that annoys me to no end.

caroline September 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

beef jerky and http://www.mygutsy.com/kiwi-fruit-leather/ kiwi fruit leathers!! So cute :)

Hannah September 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m just like Summer, a chronic snacker! Do you have Chicnuts in America? They’re storebought roasted chickpeas and, yes, you can make them yourself yadda yadda, but I’ve never been able to make mine as perfectly dry and crispy as my beloved chicnuts…

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hannah,
Brilliant! We don’t have Chicnuts that I’m aware of, but I have roasted my own chickpeas before. Totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder!

purelylori September 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Summer is too cute with knacks!
I like to snack too :)
and love your boots!
not sure if I have any portable snacks good for kids just yet, though my niece does love our cashew biscotti, so who knows with kids and what they are liking haha
if I think of anything I will let you know!

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Lori! :)

Jessica September 26, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Sadie used to say the same thing! :) Nack! Nack, PEEEES! ;) Also, you look so gorgeous Heather! Love your dress/boots/jacket!

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Jessica, and we’re still working on the PEEEES part. ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm

No cinnamon?!? I can’t even imagine . . . .

Anyways, some ideas might be: carrots, apple slices, and hard boiled eggs.

I love the roasted chickpea idea. Good one.

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Michelle, yeah, I can’t either. LOVE cinnamon, but it causes a red rash on her face. :(

robyn jones clark September 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm

my biggest vice is knacking :) ay yi yi… :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Oh the days of snacking…I think we’re still in that stage here! I like to keep easy things in the freezer too. I’ll make a batch of muffins (like I just did mini pumpkin muffins) and freeze them. Also, I know you guys eat meat, but bean burgers work well for freezing too so you can make mini ones that are hand held eats on the go. The boys love my mini corndog muffins too. I used to tear up waffles too and put them in their to go containers. It’s so hard, one day they like something and the next day they don’t. I know your hands are busy most of the time, but if you found the time to bake off a bigger batch of things, then you could freeze them for ease. I would be happy to come help you!

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Sarena,
Mini muffins are a GREAT idea, and Summer used to eat your lentil burgers all the time. Need to try putting those back in the rotation. :)
P.S. You are welcome to come help me anytime!!!

Katie September 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Such a sweet picture of you two. Also, we have the same snack cup…we’re big KNACK fans over here, too.

Our favorites are dried cranberries, cherry tomatoes (messy), Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies, and apples (a new one this week).

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Katie,
She will not eat apples – I think it’s a texture thing, but I’ll keep trying. Never tried cherry tomatoes – will add that to our list. Thank you!

Amy September 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That’s such an adorable picture!! My son loves: plums, raspberries, strawberries, apple chunks, those pouches (expensive, but sometimes that’s the only veggies he gets in a day), snap pea crisps, veggie straws, and smoothies (portable in the ‘big kid’ cups with a lid and real straw), and cereal bars (not sure if they make any gluten free ones?). Happy knacking! :)

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Amy,
Thank you! Snap pea crisps – hadn’t thought of those, and I LOVE them. Also need to pick up some veggie straws. I wish she would do smoothies, but the only liquid Summer will drink is water. Not a bad thing, but smoothies are just so easy and filling. Would make a great breakfast for her.

Hilary September 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm

My son loves snacks! If I say lunch or dinner he gets so upset. He wants everything called a snack :)

We do lots of nuts (he loooves macadamia nuts), fruit, cheese, cranberries, trail mix, hard boiled eggs, dried mango (TJs has great no sugar added dried mango), and muffins. Look at Paleo websites or http://www.againstallgrains.com for wheat free recipes. Also any sort of nut/date/coconut oil balls are a huge hit. I know you said she doesn’t like larabars, but maybe in disguise they would work? They are so easy to keep on hand and take with you.

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Hilary,
Same here – every meal is referred to as a knack as well. :) Thanks for the ideas – I’ll have to check out that website. Mini muffins would make great on-the-go snacks!

Debra September 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Are you sure you had twins? You look amazing. Summer is so stinkin’ cute! I’m trying hard to cut back on carbs so I’m not much of a knacker anymore.

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Debra. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Those crackers sound and look awesome!

And you and Summer are just beautiful together! The park looks like it’s all sunshine and rainbows and it you are just a gorgeous pair :)

lindsay September 26, 2012 at 8:22 pm

wait, summer didnt get the memo? Didn’t you read it to her while you were preggo? she must have been sleeping.

looks like a good “knack” though.

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Lindsay,
Nope, she didn’t. Thankfully, she was still into Larabars when you sent her that stash. Now the only ones she’ll eat are the chocolate chip ones…not sure where she got her love of chocolate from. ;)

Maren September 26, 2012 at 8:31 pm

the knack’s look tasty! But what I’m really wondering is where you got your top/dress! I love it :)

HEAB September 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Thanks Maren. The dress is from Forever 21. Got it this past Friday – it was on sale for $6!

Maren September 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Now that’s my kinda prices!!! I will have to search for it online. I hope I find it!! I have so many showers and stuff this fall since I’m getting married in Dec. and I don’t want to spend a fortune on all these new dresses! :) Thanks lady!

Alyssa September 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Heather, I love reading your blog and seeing how it has changed! You’ve become such a great mother! A quick question for you: do you not feed Summer gluten because she was diagnosed with an allergy or as a precaution? Do you ever intend to introduce it to her diet? If so, when? I have Celiac disease and am concerned about my kids (when I have them) and how I’ll want to handle their diets as well. Looking forward to your feedback!

Fondly,
Alyssa

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Hi Alyssa, thanks for much. :)

Regarding the gluten, Summer does not have Celiac disease, but it does exacerbate Summer’s eczema, which she’s had since she was an infant. Out of all the common food triggers for eczema, that seems to be the only one that really bothers her. We avoided wheat with her until she was about 18 months and have tried it a few times with no luck. We’re hoping she’ll outgrow it.

Marcia September 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I do not know how you do it. Toddler and twin babies. I have a hard enough time feeding myself, the Hub, the six year old, and the 11 week old while working part time. I can’t imagine it with an extra baby.

Yogurt, carrots, applesauce, bananas are our go to snacks. Oh and hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, almonds.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Marcia,
Well, it’s not so bad now, but I can’t imagine when I have THREE snacking toddlers. I’m going to have to walk around with a cooler strapped to me. ;)

We haven’t tried hard boiled eggs yet. Good one!

Nicole September 27, 2012 at 12:44 am

i just wanted to say that you look freaking fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Oh gosh, thanks Nicole. :)

Hilary (Four Little Forks) September 27, 2012 at 12:52 am

My daughter’s best friend has a cinnamon allergy too! I think it’s more common than people think.

So as for snacks, we like:
Popcorn
Seaweed (nori) snacks or kale chips
Spelt pretzels
Raisins
Dried mango (this is a BIG treat for my kiddos)
Granola

Gosh, I sound like such a hippie with the stuff on this list! Haha!

Oh, and my kids are obsessed with those applesauce squeeze packs from Trader Joe’s.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hilary,
From one hippie to another, I like your list. :)

Rose September 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

I have a life long cinnamon allergy. Growing up, my pediatrician thought my parents were crazy until he witnessed a particularly bad reaction to all natural cinnamon candy. My heart hurts for Summer. :-)

I agree with everyone else. You look AMAZING!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Rose,
I know, I hurt for you. Cinnamon is in so many recipes! :(

Annalisa September 27, 2012 at 6:32 am

My 16 month old only grazes and I can never seem to coordinate it with eating our own meals :-(

Things she loves is kefir (they sell squeeze tubes of it), some smoothies, PB sandwiches, muffins – we make them together and freeze some, frozen waffles, fruit leather, etc.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Annalisa,
Oh good, glad to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t sit down to meals with my toddler! Muffins are a great idea. I used to bake and freeze them before the twins arrived but got out of the habit. Need to get back into that one!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day September 27, 2012 at 7:18 am

Oh wow! I have been away from the blogosphere for a while and I come back and you have TWINS!!.. and look at you… you look great… wow.. your life must be sooo busy! Congratulations!!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Melody. Yes, very busy but very happy. :)

Rebecca September 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

She looks so cute in her adorable dress and bows in her hair!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Rebecca. :)

ashley September 27, 2012 at 11:45 am

Heather, this sounds just like my almost 2 year old (next month!) right now! How funny…every child is unique, obviously, but what amazes me more is how much each of them has in common with others. My son even says “knack” as well : ) His appetite and preferences do make it a little tricky right now to figure food out. Bananas, yogurt, apples, crackers and cheese aree a sure thing right now, but who knows what it will be next week!

I love that picture of you two : ) Take care.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Ashley. :)

Marie September 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

For my middle child, the saying, “Some like it in the pot 9 days old.” is super fitting. We will eat breakfast- and she will eat a few bites. But we leave her plate out becasue she will come back a couple hours later and eat the whole thing. Apparently she like cold breakfast:)

The snacks you listed are our go-tos. My kids like apple slices and fruit leathers as well. And I usually have some kind of “cookie” on hand for them to eat when we have to grab and go. This week I have a batch of these from mama pea. Every kid loves cookies:)

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Marie,
Too funny. We’ve done that many times with blueberry oatmeal. Sometimes, she’ll eat the whole bowl and other times, she ends up only taking a few bites, but will then eat it cold for lunch. And yes, every kid seems to love cookies – thanks for the link. Never met a Mama Pea recipe I didn’t like. :)

Jen September 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My daughter is around the same age and loves roasted chickpeas!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Jen,
I just bought 3 cans of chickpeas and hope to get to roasting soon. Do you have a favorite recipe?

Tracy September 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Tragic about the cinnamon! I hope she grows out of it….do you think she will?

Will she eat your oaties? Or do they have too much texture? I usually make a batch or 2 of those or Anne P’s 5 minute no bake bars to keep available for portable snacks. Or Rice Krispie treats? Chex cereal instead of cheerios?

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Tracy,
Not sure. There are other family members with cinnamon allergies. So, not sure if it’s something genetic or not. :(

We haven’t tried giving her oaties, and I’ve heard many good things about Anne P’s bars. I hope to make batches of both and soon. Thanks for the ideas!

Errign September 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm

The little one I watch right now goes nuts for cheese, drinkable yogurt, pretzels, chickpeas and berries.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) September 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm

omg is summer a little miss bossypants? haha i cannot imagine how funny it must be to see her get excited about the ‘knacks!’

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Melissa,
Yeah, the humor has kind of wore off. ;)

Cara (Twinthusiast) September 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I think your description of Summer is actually me right now – eternal grazer…;) Had fun reading through the comments for snack ideas. Nothing new to offer here – the girls would eat cheese all day if I let them…You look fantastic in that pic, btw!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Cara. :)

Erica September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm
Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever September 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Snacks, fruit, yogurt is basically all my daughter will eat right now. Anytime I offer her “normal” food or prepared meals of any kind she says no. Starting to be at my whits end so thanks for this post. Hoping to find some good suggestions.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Deirdre,
Same thing here – “no” to almost every single prepared meal. All she wants to do is graze.

Hollie Birckhead September 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I need all the help I can get with snack foods and ideas.. my kids are bottomless pits and I tend to give them same snacks over and over and I know my kids would appreciate it if I would incorporate some of your healthy and fun snacks! I need to spend some time going through your past posts for meal and snack ideas!!!:) Thanks!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hollie,
I’ll be honest, not looking forward to the day the twins start solids. I can barely keep up with one toddler snacking and cannot imagine three! Will definitely be needing those coolers you told me about! ;)

Grandma Honey September 29, 2012 at 10:08 am

My grandkids (3 year old twins) favorite snack at my house are “shakes.” Just whatever frozen fruit I have with some rice milk and protein powder. Whirl it all up in a blender like a smoothie.

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Grandma Honey,
It’s been a while since we’ve tried smoothies. Summer will drink nothing but water, but I would love for her to enjoy a smoothie for breakfast. That way I could sneak in some veggies. Will try them again soon!

Nikki September 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Have you ever tried Crunchies Food Food Company snacks?http://crunchiesfood.com/
My kids love them, and you can get them at iherb.com!

Easy to take along, as they are dry and do not need an icepack!

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Nikki,
I haven’t tried that brand, but we have tried freeze dried fruit before. It’s hit or miss around here, but it’s been a while. I should try again. Thanks for the reminder!

Kami September 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Do you give her cashews? Not judging if you do, I’m just so paranoid about the choking thing! String cheese, salami, yogurt, & cottage cheese are some of our faves. Your outfit is beyond adorable :)

HEAB September 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Kami,
Re. the outfit, thank you! Cashews were the first and only nut we’ve yet to try as I worry about choking as well. However, she now has a full mouth of teeth, and so we decided to try unsalted cashew halves a couple of weeks ago. I was going to wait until she was two, but that’s less than two months away, and one of my friends told me her toddler loves cashews. Plus, they’re softer than other whole nuts. Summer might eat one or two but always ends up spitting them out and then asks for more cheese. I’m desperate for more portable snack options – cheese doesn’t really fit in the knack cup. ;)

Colleen Murphy Stewart September 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for the cheese cracker recipe Heather! We are staying away from wheat at our house and I sure do miss crackers :) I just pinned the recipe!

HEAB October 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Colleen, I’ve made the version with cornstarch. They’re yummy! Hope you enjoy. :)

Jess September 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Snacks are loved around here too. My girls are into eating whole pieces of fruit or vegies – makes them big girls… So lots of carrots, bananas, apples, cucumbers etc. Also popular rice crackers plain or with nut butter, berries, Sweet potato chips, broad beans and chick pea chips (can buy these at health food store so delicious), smoothies with almond milk and frozen fruit and hard boiled eggs. Also veggie burgers, just cut them up and let them graze off a plate through the day.

HEAB October 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Jess, lots of good ideas, and will definitely play up the “big girl” angle. :)

Mary @ Fit and Fed October 1, 2012 at 12:13 am

You got lots of suggestions on the snacks, did anyone mention mini rice-cakes in different flavors?

HEAB October 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Mary, no, but you just did. Thank you! Good one. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) October 1, 2012 at 5:27 am

Ohh this sounds really challenging! Having kids makes you reorganize your whole life!

I think I’d try almonds and apple slices. Probably rice crackers, I loved them as a child because it was so fun to nibble patterns into the puffed rice :)

HEAB October 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Kath, yes, challenging is a good word to describe the “knack” challenge. Thanks for the ideas. We haven’t tried almonds yet as I fear choking, but they’re definitely on MY go-to snack list. Hope to share them with Summer one day soon, and if she doesn’t like them, oh well, just means more for mama! ;)

Denise Billings October 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

Someone else may already have said this but nuts can be toxic to dogs. Just wanted to be sure you knew that. Hang in there, Heather. I’m sure it’s challanging but it sounds like you’re doing a wonderful job.

Love,
Denise

HEAB October 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Denise,
Oh dear, I knew macadamia nuts were a no-no, but I hadn’t heard that about cashews. Thanks for the heads up!

Hayley October 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Ok I’m dying to see the dress & boots everyone is asking about. Why am I so blind right now?!

{ 2 trackbacks }