A Knack For Salads

by HEAB on October 2, 2012

Thanks for all of your snack suggestions for toddlers.  I spent a few hours yesterday morning prepping a variety of knacks for the week: a batch of gluten free waffles portioned into small servings and frozen for future toasting, hard boiled eggs, more cheese crackers, popcorn, and Parmesan roasted chickpeas.  Unfortunately, the chickpeas were not a hit…with the toddler anyway, but CD and I thoroughly enjoyed them!

I’ve been taking the time to make myself salads for lunch these days.  Summer goes down for her nap a little after 12 PM, and the twins are usually napping then as well.  So, for now, I get to enjoy some down time mid-day.  It’s lovely.  The above bowl contained mixed greens, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 baked sweet potato, roasted chickpeas, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and honey.  Delicious…Summer you’re totally missing out! ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I love salads that include ingredients like that! I’m a big fan of adding hot foods on top of a crisp, cold salad. My husband thinks it’s strange, but I love the variety of textures, flavors and temperature. Roasted squash and chicken on top of broccoli slaw and mixed greens and mushrooms. Yum!

HEAB October 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Michelle, not strange in my book. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Avocado really makes or breaks a salad for me – this looks fantastic!

Jill October 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m going to have to try those chickpeas-I’m definitely not as dedicated of a “knacker” as Summer, but it’s always nice to find new stuff to take to work with me so that I’m not just grabbing spoonfuls out of my jar of peanut butter at 5 pm :-) Also, I have to tell you that I still don’t see any fall flavors from Jeni’s on their website-what are they waiting for? LOL

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Jill,
Ha, one of Summer’s favorite snacks is a spoonful (or two) of nut butter, and you must tell me when the fall flavors arrive at Jeni’s. I unsubscribed from the company’s emails as every time I received one, I wanted to go buy a pint of ice-cream. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Well the salad sounds perfect to me! That just means there are more chickpeas for you and CD to enjoy! I’m so glad you’re able to sit down and enjoy some time during the day! Hugs to you my friend!

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hugs to you too Sarena. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I can’t believe you have 3 kids all coordinated on a nap schedule. THAT is amazing work – and a very, very well-deserved lunch for mama :)

Purely Michelle October 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

yum! yes enjoy your alone time as you never when you will get it again :)
xoxo

Katie October 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm

That salad has my name all over it! I used to eat a salad for munch every single day, always with avocado and some kind of winter squash, and even identical dressing. The only thing different is that I also add mustard to my ” “dressing”, meaning I squirt mustard all over the salad too. It’s more of a honey mustard dressing that way, and it goes great with the avocado and winter squash flavors.
Lucky you that the kids all nap at the same time!

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Katie,
Was so close to adding mustard but at the last minute decided against it. Clearly, I wasn’t thinking straight. ;)

Lorne October 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hey Heather,
Avos are my favourite food these days. Every breakfast consists of 1/2 avocado on toast with a squeeze of lemon and pepper. I never tire of my avocado.

I am keen to discover some salad dressing options I can make for myself.

We found out yesterday we are team blue :0)

Lorne

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Lorne,
Ahhh, so exciting!!! A little brother for Minu. Congrats my friend.
P.S. I never tire of my avocados either. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Roasted anything in salads makes it just that much better! I need to roast myself some sweet potatoes…mmmmm…..

Jess October 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Oh enjoy that down time! So pleased you’re getting some. I think you’re amazing with how well you do!

Alyssa October 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I love roasted chickpeas!! I’ll have to make those soon! Great knack :-)

Sarah October 2, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You can fix me a knack any time.

Marcia October 2, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Mmm…salad. This week the adult lunches are sandwiches. Next week is pasta. Last week was stir fry. We have a four week rotation. The fourth week is burritos.

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Marcia,
I’d like to join you weeks 3 & 4. :)

Cherie October 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm

The salad looks really good! I like to roast chickpeas with coconut oil and my homemade organic all-purpose seasoning. I’ll have to try the parmesan recipe too.

Oh, and I thought of you when I saw this recipe from Dr. Axe’s newsletter. I plan to try it myself real soon. http://www.draxe.com/recipe/crockpot-beef-broccoli/

Tracy October 3, 2012 at 11:49 am

Oh I love roasted chickpeas! Alas I could never get my kids interested in them either. On the bright side, more for us, right!? ;)

And 3 cheers for mid-day downtime! When my 4 kids were babies/toddlers, my time was 1-3pm every day. I felt so jipped if one of them woke early and broke the spell! haha

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Tracy,
Exactly, and yeah, I feel a little jipped if the naps are shorter than usual, but just means more play time which isn’t such a bad thing…most days anyway. ;)

Nolita October 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Yummy sounding salad! Will have to try out those chickpeas. That is great that all 3 kids are down at the same time…hope Mommy is sneaking in some shuteye then too!

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Nolita,
Don’t get much time for naps, but all babies are sleeping through the night. So, I am getting some long stretches of sleep. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

That salads looks delicious!!

Courtney October 5, 2012 at 7:17 am

Mmm, I’ve been doing salads with roasted sweet potato, beets and brussels sprouts. Fall!

I recently went gluten free and was wondering what kind of flour blend you are using for waffles? I bake a ton but am not ready to start making my own flour blends yet. I’ve heard Pamela’s and King Arthur Flour make the best…

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Courtney,
Yes, I love fall flavors!

As far as the flour blend goes, I actually made waffles using Bisquick gluten free biscuit mix and made them with butter, milk, and eggs. After freezing, we warm in the micro for a few seconds and then toast. They’re really good. I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill AP gluten free flour mix, and it was okay. Tastes kind of “beany”, and so taking a tip from Sarena (www.thenondairyqueen.com), I usually do half AP and half brown rice flour in all of my gluten free baked goods. Oh, and my FAVORITE gluten free pancake/waffle recipe is Alex’s. She uses all brown rice flour, and they are soooo good! Here is the link: http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2011/01/10/the-way-to-every-persons-heart/

Courtney October 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thanks! Yeah, I saw that Bob’s Red Mill was mostly chickpea flour and put the bag down immediately. In case you were curious, I made both some gf date/walnut/oat scones and some cornbread this weekend using the Pamela’s blend and they both turned out really well. I’d recommend it.

Lou October 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh yes, the frustrating feeding game. I know it well. Is Summer into smoothies? Misty will eat anything as long as it is in liquid form and in his bottle…. I blend up fruit/veggies/nut butters/oats you name it ;)

Yum I love roasted chickpeas!

HEAB October 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Lou,
I know, I thought of you when I made those chickpeas as I remember you making a chocolate version before. Alas, Summer isn’t a smoothie girl. I’ve tried a few times, especially when she was teething b/c I had remembered you telling me that Misty loved his cold banana smoothies when his gums were bothering him, but all she will drink is water. Not a bad thing, but I wish she liked smoothies b/c I could sneak in some veggies.

{ 1 trackback }