No Nuts Granola Bars

by HEAB on October 7, 2012

I had to share these delicious homemade granola bars with all of you, especially any parents out there looking for a low sugar, non-crumbly, and perfect on-the-go knack…for me anyway.  The toddler wouldn’t even take a bite.  Hoping this picky eating thing will end soon.  Oh well, just means more granola bars and roasted chickpeas for me!

I can’t take credit for this recipe.  These are Anne P’s famous 5 Minute No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars.  Earlier this week, I placed an order on iherb for all the ingredients I didn’t have (basically everything but the rolled oats) and yesterday whipped up these bars in literally 5 minutes.  Perfect.  I made mine with sunflower seed butter instead of PB and added a pinch of salt.  Other than that, I followed the exact recipe, and they are delicious.  Thanks Anne and thanks to reader Tracy for reminding me to make these.  I’ve had the recipe bookmarked for a while now.

I will never buy another granola bar again…lie, but I really do hope to keep a stock of these bars in our fridge at all times.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

yum! i’d prob use a seed butter too…maybe even tahini with medjool dates in there. hopefully your picky eater changes her tune and appreciates these tasty knacks! call me crazy but i love a good bar semi frozen and chopped into chunks, love that chew!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Melissa,
Oooh, you’ll have to let me know if you try the tahini + dates combo. Sounds right up my alley!
P.S. Don’t think you’re crazy – love my chew too. :)

Anne P October 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Aw I’m so glad you liked them! :)

the 3volution of j3nn October 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

These look great! I love bars that have lots of fun texture. Yum!

Hannah October 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Bahaha, I love your part at the end. How many of us blog granola and granola bar recipes saying “I’ll never buy it again” and then totally do because, well, convenience much? This is why I love you.

lindsay October 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Can i take summer’s “knacks” for her? Looks right up my alley!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Lindsay,
Well you could if CD and I hadn’t eaten them all. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I am on a massive granola bar kick and have seen Anne’s and want to try her recipe. Your bars turned out gorgeous, Heather! In the past 2 weeks I’ve posted a couple no-bake, no-nut, granola bars and I have two more in my drafts. I am seriously in love with granola lately!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Averie,
Oh you must try Anne P’s bars. They were sooo good. We’re all addicted over here…except for the toddler of course. :)

Margie October 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm

My kids are big on homemade granola bars, but not into chunks of stuff they can see. I don’t know if you feed Summer peanut butter or almond butter yet, but our go-to snack has always been peanut butter balls. Just mix 1 cup of oats, 1 cup of dried milk, 1/2 cup of honey, and 1/2 cup of unsweetened nut butter. Mix together and let kids roll them into balls and walah! My daughter was very into edamame when she was a toddler. My son will only eat veggies if he can dip them in ranch dressing or hummus. Presentation is EVERYTHING too. Carrot sticks sliced very thinly, cucumbers cut into chains and linked together, anything speared with a toothpick, a variety of fruits and veggies presented in an ice cube tray, etc. Smoothies and baked goods are always gobbled up too. Good luck, Heather!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Margie,
YES, it’s the chunkage factor that is a no-go. You are so right! I love me some chunks, but Summer, not so much. We do feed her peanut butter, and I bet she would love those balls. So easy too. Thank you!!!! Also love the idea of putting everything on a toothpick. Brilliant. :)

Tracy October 7, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Your bars look great! I’m definitely making another batch of those this week….with sunflower butter. Sounds delish.

Good luck with Summer’s pickiness. I wish I had more words of encouragement, but my boy twin has been picky from the get-go and is to this day (at age 13!). His twin sister will eat any and everything…very adventurous. At least I know it’s nothing I did. I’ve always offered them the same foods. You can only do so much. I’m convinced Patrick is a “super taster” and many foods are just too much for him.

Have a great week, Heather!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thanks Tracy. :)

Natalie October 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

these look fabulous!! brown rice syrup is the trick to all granola bars in my view. Don’t you love when you make all this fun stuff and the toddler won’t touch it?? It drives me mad – but this too shall pass :) Thanks for sharing!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Natalie,
She used to eat whatever I put in front her, but not anymore. Hoping this will pass. :)

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate October 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

These look great! And I love that they incorporate sunflower seeds! They are a great source of fiber and so easy to add to recipes like this.

charlotte October 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Ooh thank you for this! I was just looking for a different granola bar recipe. Mine is good (as in the kids gobble them up) but it uses way too much honey and oil for my liking. Gonna give this one a shot! As for picky toddlers, good luck sister. Two of my kids outgrew it by about age 6 (my two eldest’s fave dinner is steamed crab, shrimp and fresh artichokes) but my third son still refuses to touch a fruit that’s not “sauced” and will only eat asparagus for greens. Sigh. I have hopes for Jelly Bean though! She just ate a whole cuke for lunch… Every kid is just born with their own little (or big!) personality!

Jess October 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

OH this is awesome. I’m definitely making these!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Homemade granola bars really are the best! The boys actually prefer them now! I do bake mine though. The boys aren’t picky so much as they have a vision of what they like and sometimes it’s hard to get them to see the alternative. Hopefully Summer will come around soon!

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Sarena, I hope so. :)

Ana October 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Those look so good Heather!
Does Summer like raisins? When Matheus was around that age he loooved raisins. I would make mini muffins and granola bars with for snacks and he would always try it just because of the raisins :-)
The same goes for chocolate chips :-)
The boy still loves anything with raisins, chocolate chips, and even craisins (although I am not a fan of this last one).
I need to try this recipe, and might even risk using honey instead of the brown rice syrup, which I don’t have at home right now (although I was reading some of the comments on her blog and she doesn’t recommend honey… maybe I need an order with iherb too)

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Ana,
Yes, Summer LOVES “rees-rees”, but they are the only dried fruit she’ll eat. She also loves chocolate chips. :)

Go for the brown rice syrup – works as a great binder in granola bar type recipes. Totally worth it!

Lou October 11, 2012 at 1:40 am

Yummo, a tasty “knack” for sure.

Anything that involves nut/seed butter is OK with me ;)

HEAB October 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Lou,
One of the many reasons I love you. :)