Colorado Donuts

by HEAB on November 11, 2012

Let’s talk donuts, shall we?

Last week, CD and I took a quick trip to Colorado – two amazing days of hiking while the grandparents loved on all the kiddos.  It was our first time away together since before Summer was born, and although we missed our babies, we had a wonderful time.

Hiking in Evergreen.

An early evening walk followed by a delicious dinner at Waterloo in Louisville.  LOVED Louisville.

Exploring the Poudre River Trail in Fort Collins.

So what does our trip to Colorado have to do with donuts?  Well, while in Fort Collins, we had a wonderful lunch with Jessie and Ashley, and Ashley made us all a batch of her gluten free donuts…

CD enjoying a donut after leaving Restaurant 415.

Ashley gave us six triple chocolate donuts similar to these, but made with almond meal instead of coconut flour.  We ate lunch with the girls at noon, and by the time we boarded our plane at 7 PM, all donuts were gone.  In other words, they were delicious!  I felt the need to share since I know many of you are on the lookout for good gluten free recipes .  Lucky for you Ashley is coming out with a gluten free donut cookbook due to be published in October 2013, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!  Until then, you can find many of her donut recipes, along with lots of other delicious dishes, on her recipe page.

Jessie and Ashley, it was so nice to finally meet you both in person, and Colorado?  Hope to be back soon!

Edited to Add: I recently made a batch of Ashley’s donuts…

Make some…you know you want to. :)

Alyssa (Azusmom) November 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I want to say something intelligent, but all I can hear in my head is Homer Simpson saying “Mmmm! Donuts!”
Glad you guys were able to have a trip away from the kids!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Alyssa,
Haha, that’s all that really needs to be said. :)

Amelia November 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Ah, I miss my Colorado! [Kevin & I have been back in SC now after living in Denver so I could go back to school to be an R.D. ] I miss all of the wonderful hiking, breweries, and delicious eats! There is something to be said about how wonderful it makes you feel to be in such a wide open space. :)

Glad you had a wonderful trip and how lucky you were to meet Ashley and sample her donuts!!!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Amelia,
I could not agree more. Happy to hear you’re back in school studying something that interests you – good for you! However, I know it must have been REALLY hard to leave Colorado. Hope you get back there someday!

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I have heard rave reviews about those donuts of Ashley’s – I need to try them!

And how fun that you guys took a little trip and saw such beautiful sights. From the mountains to…those donuts :)

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Averie,
Yes you do. Never met an Ashley recipe I didn’t like. :)

Lou November 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Oh wow, a few nights off – BLISS :)

PLUS doughnuts? Heavenly!

Oh and you are looking amazing :)

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks sweet Lou. :)

the 3volution of j3nn November 12, 2012 at 6:12 am

Oh, man, a chocolate donut sounds soooo good right now! I can totally make them with almond and coconut flour! And then eat all of them. Heh :)

How nice to get away! Glad you enjoyed it.

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

J3nn,
Yes, very easy to eat the entire batch…trust me, I speak from experience. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 12, 2012 at 8:24 am

I am so glad you two got away together. I know it stinks to leave the kids behind, but it really is nice to be able to focus on each other. Also, the grandparents love the spoiling time! Tony’s parents have already asked if we will leave the kids with them for a month this summer…I don’t know if I can go that long without them though. I think we may have to go visit them during that trip!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Sarena,
I know – I only hope I can be as good of a grandparent as our parents are to our kids. They have so much love for them – it’s amazing…and how about when you go visit the kids this summer, you swing on by Nashville. :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

Oh, my beloved Colorado. So glad you were able to get back! Is it July yet?!? Can’t wait for my annual visit. :)

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Michelle,
I know, right? Please tell me again why we don’t all live there?!?

purelytwins November 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

hiking and donuts – yes please!

thedelicateplace November 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

GF donuts and the great outdoors, could there be a more perfect scenario? did you stay in a yurt?!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Melissa,
No, it could not have been more perfect and haha, no yurt this time around…unfortunately. LOVED our yurt experience. :)

Lorne November 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Awww bless the grandfolks for giving you some time to charge your batteries in your favourite place! How sweet and caring of them.

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Lorne,
Yes, bless them. It was a lot of work for all involved but knowing that our babies were in good hands made our trip a lot more enjoyable. They got so much love that weekend. :)

Ashley November 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm

You are way too kind! This post made my day! I wish you were around to do more sampling. Last week there was a 5 layer doughnut cake and this weekend doughnut bread pudding. Ahh!! I’m so glad you and Chris had such a nice little trip and that the weather worked out. It was fabulous to finely meet you and Chris and see Jessie again for lunch. xoxo

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Ashley,
Oh my, I saw that bread pudding on Instagram and really wish I was there to do more sampling as well. Great to finally meet you too, and I’m pretty sure our paths will cross again. :)

Sarah November 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Louisville is where I lived all last year before moving back to Steamboat Springs. I LOVE Waterloo too, and Louisville has such a charming, charming downtown. So cute.

I love your posts!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Sarah,
Really? Louisville was great – we dream of moving there. Seems like a very family-friendly town.

Thanks for reading. :)

Tracy November 12, 2012 at 7:35 pm

How fun! I love love love Colorado! I often wonder why we don’t live there since we keep going back for vacation.

Super great that you and CD were able to get away. I bet you really appreciated your quality time together.

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Tracy,
I know – I often wonder why everyone doesn’t live in Colorado as it’s such an amazing place!

Amanda Yoder November 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Been following you for a long time but rarely comment, just wanted to say I recently found out I’m extremely gluten intolerant as well so I was excited to see such a yummy gluten free recipe! Keep em coming. And glad to see you return to Colorado, if only briefly! Glad you and your family are well too!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Amanda,
Thank you and so sorry to hear about your gluten intolerance. I know it’s tough but thankfully there are so many gluten free options nowadays. Wheat exacerbates my daughter’s eczema, and so we try and keep things gluten free around here. Makes me grateful for Ashley’s recipe page – she’s got some great GF ones!

Nadine November 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Would look yummier if we hadn’t just eaten a big mug of microwaved brownie mix and pumpkin…yummy idea courtesy of HEAB!!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Nadine,
Haha – not sure whether to say “sorry” or “you’re welcome”. ;)

Hollie Birckhead November 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

SO HAPPY you were able to get away the two of you! So fun and well deserved!:) I LOVE DONUTS too. They sound delicious.

Karey @ Nutty About Health November 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm

So glad you had a nice trip to Colorado! It looks beautiful! Oh my, those donuts look soooo good!!! :)

Ana November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

You look great and happy Heather!
And the donuts look and sound incredible, I too can’t wait to get a copy of Ashley’s book :-) I really enjoy her recipes!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Ana and me too. Never met an Ashley recipe I didn’t like. :)

Wendy Heath November 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

You were in Fort Collins?! That’s where I am! Oh well, I was probably working or in clinicals when you were here anyway… sounds like you had a great time in my home digs! :) There’s a reason I’ll never move out of state again…

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Wendy,
Yes and we loved it! Strolled around Old Town and did some walking and hiking. I would never leave again either – such a cool city.

Marty November 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Love Colorado! I’m glad you and CD got away for a short trip alone, I’m sure it was divine! Those donuts look divine, now if I could only figure out how to make them without eggs…someday!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Marty,
Well, today is your lucky day as Ashley has a vegan version of her donuts posted on the recipe page here: http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2011/10/21/triple-chocolate-donuts.html. Just scroll down. No eggs! :)

Cara (Twinthusiast) November 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

That’s awesome that you were able to get away! I wish we had done that sooner… :)

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Cara,
I know – I remember reading when you guys left Caroline and Kelly for the first time. It was hard to leave, but so good to get in some alone time, just the two of us, especially knowing that the babies were in such good hands. Grandparents are the best! :)

Monica November 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm

You are my hero! Taking time to return to a twosome is so difficult, but so important. When I saw your pictures on Instagram I was wondering if your cuties were with you guys. Glad you guys had a great trip!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Monica,
I agree – we had a great time, and although we missed the kids so much, it was nice to have some time to ourselves, just the two of us. I know you get it. :)

Jen @ Existential Evolution November 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Good for you guys! I haven’t been to CO but I would love to go someday. We have a friend in Colorado Springs we would like to visit. I have had a brand new donut pan in my pantry since last Christmas so thank you for reminding me of Ashley’s recipes. Can’t wait to try it!

HEAB November 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Jen,
We used to go to Manitou Springs in the summer, and it’s right outside Colorado Springs at the base of Pike’s Peak. Such a cool little town with some great trails. Hope you make it out there someday. Also hope you make some of Ashley’s donuts soon! :)

Charlotte November 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I’m not a huge doughnut fan (I know, I know) but my kids are so I’ll definitely be trying this recipe for them! And congrats to your sweet Summer on her birthday!

Rebekah November 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

We’re actually taking our little boy for a family trip to Colorado around Christmas. It will be all of our first time going – any recommendations would be welcome! We’re staying in Denver.

HEAB November 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hi Rebekah,
We love Colorado, although I honestly haven’t spent much time in Denver. We used to spend our summers in Colorado Springs, and I know that area a bit better. If you like hiking, there are great trails in Boulder and we LOVED hiking around Three Sisters Park in Evergreen – both are close to Denver. The trails in Three Sisters are easy to navigate and not too difficult if you’d like to take your son on a short hike. Ashley has some great recommendations for Denver (both activities and restaurants) on her FAQ page here: http://www.edibleperspective.com/faq/. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip! :)

Colleen Murphy Stewart November 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

YaY! for time alone ;) Colorado is on our list of places to visit. We are thinking Boulder next Fall. I’m not a doughnut person but oh my those look yummy!!! Triple chocolate anything sounds good to me!

HEAB November 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hey Colleen,
Hope you make it out to Colorado next year. Such an amazing place. :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery December 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hi Heather! It’s been a while since I’ve commented because I didn’t realize you were blogging again! Congratulations on the twins! I could totally tell that first picture was in Evergreen…because I’ve hiked in that exact same spot!! I’m a native Coloradan and moved back to CO in late August.

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hi Alex,
Good to hear from you, and yep, I’m back at it. Blogging is such a great creative outlet for me, and I realized I still needed this space. So, I’m writing when I feel like it. How awesome that you’re back in your native Colorado. We dream of moving there someday. Seems like a great place to raise a family.

Alex @ Raw Recovery December 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I’m so glad you’re back at it. I’ve really missed reading your blog. You are so kind and real on your blog, and I really appreciate that about you. If you’re ever in Colorado again, I’d love to meet for tea or coffee if you’re up for it. Colorado is a great family place and it’s so active. I’ve missed it here.

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Oh, we’ll be back, and I look forward to our coffee date. :)