What To Say?

by HEAB on December 5, 2012

Hey.  I was just thinking about this space and wondering what to fill it with today.  As I sit here with the twins (big sis is napping), I started thinking about my life since I began blogging, over 4 years ago.  So much has changed.  Diet and exercise used to be my life.  I thought about both all day – what I would eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and how and when would I fit in at least 60 minutes of exercise.

Looking back I realize my priorities were really out of whack, and I’ll be the first to admit I had some issues.  I remember one day waking up at the crack of dawn to go trail running with a friend.  We ran for about 40 minutes.  It was a great way to start the day, but I of course wasn’t satisfied with anything less than hour of exercise.  So, I drove straight to the gym and ran for another 20 minutes on the treadmill.  So silly.  Do I still exercise?  Yeah, when I feel like it, but these days, exercise consists of going on a walk with a baby or two.  We have a jog stroller for Summer, and maybe once or twice a week I’ll do some sprints while walking with her.  Let’s see, I did 12 push-ups on Monday (On my knees. Still sore!), and if I wake up before the twins, I might do a yoga podcast (OK, so that’s happened once in the last month.).  I really miss my yoga studio, but my favorite classes simply don’t fit into my life right now.  That’s okay though.  I’ll get back someday.  I enjoy being active, but I no longer equate it to, Did I get in my workout today or must squeeze in a trip to the gym., etc.  Now, it’s just about getting outside for a walk or running around the playground, and that’s enough.  More importantly, it’s not forced.  It’s just life, and it’s good.

Fun on the monkey bars.

Food?  Hahahaha – seriously, you guys should see some of my dinners as of late.  I try and cook casseroles or a meal that will leave us with leftovers at least once a week, but dinners aren’t much of a priority around here anymore.  Our kids go to bed fairly early, but by the time everyone is all tucked in, I usually don’t feel like cooking. Chris will often whip up some kind of veggie beef stir-fry for us (thanks CD!), but some nights I’ve been known to eat cottage cheese straight from the container using tortilla chips as a spoon <– it’s really good with a little salsa thrown in as well.  Many days I just graze, but other days I’ll eat a good lunch and dinner.  Breakfast involves a lot of coffee.  Eating well is still important, but the way I view food has changed.  We prepare mostly simple meals using wholesome ingredients, and that’s that.  I’m sure I’ll have to put more thought into meal planning as the kids get older and we start sitting down to dinner together, but for now, I’m enjoying keeping things simple.  If anything, I’ve realized that meals don’t have to be a big production, and it’s okay if I don’t get in my veggies for the day.  Well wait…chips and salsa totally count as veggies, right?!?

Oh gosh, the twins are starting to doze off.  I need to get them into bed, and Summer is due to wake up soon.  I wasn’t sure what I was even going to write when I started typing this.  Thanks for listening to me babble.  I’ll leave you with a photo of some yummy almond flour cookies we baked last week.  Many thanks to Evan for the recipe!

Kate December 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

You said it perfectly, Heather. As one of the only bloggers who has survived MANY cuts in my Reader over the years, your honesty and candor is always refreshing! So happy that you’re finding a new balance and LIVING life with your beautiful family!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:07 am

Thanks so much Kate. Glad I made the cut(s). ;)

Ameena December 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Heather I could have written this. I used to obsess about making sure I got in 60 minutes a day. But there is something about working full-time and having a child that sort of put things into perspective for me.

I don’t love getting older but I do love that with age comes a bit of perspective.

Meagan December 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ameena – “And the things that I eat? Are not fit for others to see…horrible concoctions consisting of leftovers.” You are too funny! I often feel the same way. I cook a lot, but sometimes make good combinations that taste great but other people would think they’re unappetizing :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:08 am

Ameena, I could not agree more. I was a mess in my 20′s. 30′s have been eye opening, and I plan to be perfect in my 40′s. ;)

Jenn December 28, 2012 at 6:09 am

I love love love this. Oh HEAB, I really wish everyone in the blogsophere (and real world too I guess) could read this. There just are not enough words to express how bang-on-right you are. I see so many girls out there now (bloggers or not) obsessed with food. Particularly of late the whole “don’t eat dairy, grains or meat” or “or eat only organic” or “juice fast diets”. Gah, it’s enough to make one mental.

Where is the life in these lives I wonder…?

Jennifer December 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

>>Well wait…chips and salsa totally count as veggies, right?!?

Oh so totally. :)

Good to ‘hear’ from you, Heather. I love how at peace you seem with – well everything. :)

Happy Holidays to you and the family. :) Are the little ones scooting around yet? I can’t imagine Christmas decorations with 3 little ones 2 and under.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you and Happy Holidays to you as well. The twins aren’t crawling yet, but I imagine it will be crazy when they do…as well as quite entertaining. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

After becoming a mom, everything is put into perspective, really quickly. Like you, the things I used to think about, whether it was what my hair looked like! to whether I had cute shoes to my workouts to the food I ate or whatever it was – I just don’t even have time for that anymore or care! I mean, sure, to a point – but motherhood is the great equalizer. And all my energy, thoughts, and everything going into my family, not worrying about my workouts! Love the post :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:11 am

Averie,
Laughing about the cute shoes to work out in b/c I recently went to a running shop and told the guy helping me that I needed some hipper running shoes – something colorful. Haha, I was feeling so old in my plain white Asics. Ironic thing is I usually only wear them for walking/pushing strollers. ;)

Jen @ Existential Evolution December 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Well said. I am looking for more balance in my life so thank you for the inspirational post!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

Jen,
You’re welcome. Hope it helped. :)

Meagan December 5, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Your babbles are always welcome! Love hearing your thoughts :) bet the babes are just adorable when they sleep!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

Meagan,
Yeah, they’re pretty stinkin’ cute! :)

Kara December 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I certainty appreciated your honesty here :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:13 am

Thanks Kara :)

Rose December 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I have loved your blog from the beginning, my dear! Mostly because I love your very honest posts. It’s been great to watch you transform over these past four years and now – three little young ones. What a journey, one you’re obviously able to handle. Thanks for letting us peak into the life of a very busy mom. It gives us non moms something to look forward to.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:13 am

Thanks you Rose and yes, you have so much to look forward to. So much! :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Oh Heather, I always love your posts and this one is no different. It’s more YOU than what you cook that draws people to your blog. And even simple meal ideas can be worth sharing (hey, I do a weekly post for a KISS meal–keep it simple, silly). Lastly, you are still an inspiration for what you do as a wife and mom–and maintaining a healthy balance! Good for you! :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

Thanks Michelle – good to hear b/c these days, my “cooking” is more like slop it in a bowl and cover in salsa. ;)

Janine December 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Freedom rings in this blog today Heather! I now feel normal as I have done most of what you and others have posted. I, too, love the salsa “go to” in a bowl with black beans or whatever’s around. Children have a way of putting what’s important into perspective. They have a way of growing us up quickly. Blessings to you and all your readers for a wonderful New Year!

HEAB December 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks Janine, and may your 2013 be filled with lots of salsa go-to bowls. I know mine will be. Happy New Year! :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) December 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

wow..that is pretty serious dedication lol..i’m clock watching if i hit 30mins of exercise lol. i know what you mean though to a point (obviously not a mom with littles) but in regards to perspective and what’s most important. i have been meditating each night before bed (a guided thing by an app i d/l called ‘headspace’) and it has been causing me to ask myself questions about why i’m doing it, who i want to be to myself and others. it’s really laid things out very clearly in my life and i am far less stressed! this has really been noticable in the last 3 months for me, even nate has noticed my new zen :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

Melissa,
That is awesome – I really need to start spending a little more quiet time with myself. I can totally make the time, but I rarely do. So important too. Glad it’s making a difference for you.

the 3volution of j3nn December 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This post is a breath of fresh air in a blog world filled with so many stressful daily schedules and complicated meals and recipes. I think the ultimate key to health and happiness is finding peace in everyday life. Stress is a silent killer, and joy killer. Don’t allow it. :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

Jenn,
I couldn’t agree more. Stress can do so much damage. Happy to avoid it when I can.

Amanda Yoder December 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I’m glad to hear a check-in from you! and glad to hear you’ve adapted your life around this new “season” as some refer to it–enjoy the babies and your family and friends and be healthy as you can be, sounds like you’re doing a great job balancing!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:17 am

Thanks Amanda, and I hope you enjoy the cookies. They were a big hit around here.

Amanda Yoder December 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

and THANKS for that awesome looking recipe! Will be trying that this weekend

Kris December 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Just wanted to say I’ve been reading your blog since you were pregnant with Summer. I found your blog and was immediately hooked as I share your love of nut butters:) AND healthy eating and exercise. I’ve really enjoyed your posts. I now have a one-year-old and we’re hoping for more soon, though none on the way yet. You’re one step ahead of me, so it’s nice to know what’s coming from a mom with similar perspective. NOW I love your blog because of the changes that having babies made in your life. I totally agree about changing priorities to fit your family, and I can only imagine how much more change I have in store for myself as we have more children.

You’re a fantastic blogger and a great mom. Keep it up!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:18 am

Kris,
Thanks for sticking with me over these last few years. More babies – awww, so exciting, and I hope it happens for you soon. It’s amazing watching them all together. Best of luck to you and your growing family. :)

coco December 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

such a sincere and real talk from a mom. I’m still not there yet but I can totally relate on how our life priorities change once we become a mm. it’s the best job in the world although probably thr hardest, but I love it! :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:19 am

Coco,
Agreed. Hardest but best thing we’ve ever done. :)

kalli December 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

heather, i love how much your life has changed. you are just an incredible woman who has blossomed into a very happy and content mom. i am so very happy for you!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks so much Kalli. :)

Tracy December 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I never mind listening to you babble, Heather. You speak truth!

My attitude about fitness and food has definitely evolved over the years as well. It’s funny to look back now and see how silly I was! I wasted so much time and energy worrying about it.

As always, thank you, Heather! Enjoy your babies!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thanks Tracy. Sounds like we’ve walked similar paths…or ran? ;)

Susan December 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Thank you for such a wonderful post! I am not a mom, but I am certainly looking for more balance and FUN in my life. I think many of us go through a time where it is all about the workouts, the diet, the “rules” but there comes a time when you just think “why am I doing this…it’s not even fun anymore”. I have gotten to that point. Realizing it and actually letting go are two different things, but I am slowly releasing my grip on the rigidness and trying to just enjoy. I always love when you get a chance to post so keep em coming! We all can learn so much from each other :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:22 am

Susan,
YES, I used to have so many rules. My gosh, looking back, I just think why why why? Lots of life lessons learned, and yes, I did a lot of realizing before letting anything go. So very true. Thank YOU. :)

purelymichelle December 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I cannot even imagine how life is for you now…I know good! better! I always ask my mom how things were for having 4 girls. Crazy how moms do it. Even though I do not have kids, I do believe moms have the toughest job. So many people relying on you. xoxo Lori and I still hope to plan a trip to see you guys!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

Michelle,
I know, I often wonder how our moms did it. They didn’t have half the the stuff we have today to make it a little easier. I’d never be able to leave the house without my double stroller! Would love a visit from you and Lori. Will you be here for the Country Music Expo in April? Doesn’t Lori want to celebrate her first wedding anniversary with me instead of Gary? ;)

Purelymichelle December 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

haha I am sure she would love too, but not sure about Gary LOL

One day soon we will get together. Did not know about the country expo in April sounds fun.

lindsay December 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

sounds like life is full of love and playing and no longer stressing or worrying. Isn’t that how God intended it? Keep doing it and being a wonderful mom for us to look up to! love your family.

p.s
cottage cheese and tortillas chips are a go to here as well, with salsa!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

Lindsay,
Totally! :)

Natalie December 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I LOVE IT!!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

Thanks Natalie. :)

Kath December 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Love this!! In my short 3 months as a mom I am making similar realizations. Salsa totally counts!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 7:27 am

Thanks Kath. You look so happy in all of your photos lately. Truly happy. :)

Maria December 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thank you for this post and an honest outlook on exercising and healthy eating. I injured my knee pretty badly this year and have been sort of out of commission for a while now. I wasn’t working out as hardcore as before and I was beating myself up on over it. I then changed my attitude and figured that “something was better than nothing” and walked for exercise. A few push ups here or there. Nothing crazy. And I loved it. I remembered your post long ago about giving up running and embracing walking + yoga. I must have read it and corresponding posts like 10 times. I loved every word and it helped me understand and grasp a healthy attitude towards exercise.

Glad all is well and you are still checking in from time to time. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Maria,
Sorry about the knee injury, but it sounds like some positive things have come out of the situation. Hope it heals soon and Happy Holidays to you as well. :)

Missy December 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I am speechless right now but I will try. This awesome and truth-full post? From you? MONUMENTAL. Thank you for sharing as I, of course, never suspected anything disruptive in your attitude toward food or exercise (despite a raging battle against eating dis-order of my own, I necer would have imagined)…I feel like this post might influence many of the HLB community who may be coming to terms with the same “life is NOT about” realization and just….wow.

I thank our Lord for your “babble” as it is powerfully influential.
Peace and Blessings to you and your wonderful family. And SO SO many thanks.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Missy,
Oh trust me, I’ve had (still have) my moments with food & exercise. It will probably always be an ongoing battle, but I’m in a much better place now, and yes, life is definitely NOT about food and exercise. There is so much more to live for! Thanks for reading and for your kind words. :)

Katie December 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Was just thinking about you earlier today. My priorities have also shifted from workouts/food because of kids. Not my own, obviously, but students. Job and life and FUN are more important to me now. I would rather (shockingly) sit around lazily sipping coffee in the morning for an hour than busting out a sweaty workout. There is a time and a place for all that.

It took an injury to get me to sit on my butt and I’m starting to love it. :D

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Katie,
Yes, lazily sipping coffee from your “I ♥ Spreadsheets” mug sounds like a perfect morning to me! :)

Lou December 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm

These babes teach us so much more about OURSELVES than we ever expected, right? Nothing like bringing another little life into the world to gain a bit on perspective on what truly matters, no?

The only exercise I do these days is yoga – and that’s just for my mental state! But it’s all I need – chasing a little Misty is my “cardio” – ha!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hi Lou,
Agreed. These kiddos have taught me so much, and I know they will continue to teach me as the years go by. I hear toddler boys are very adventurous, and I’m counting on Charlie to keep me in shape. :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple December 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Funny isn’t it? After my first baby, I was careful to get regular exercise in my schedule, along with a full time job and breastfeeding for a year. I spent much of the winter sick due to stress (I was healthy for about 30 total days out of 5 months from Nov to March).

Now I’m 6 years older with a second baby. I don’t work full time (only part time), and I definitely don’t stress about the exercise and diet. I make sure I’m fed. I do exercise, a couple of days a week for my sanity. Tues/Thurs, 30 minutes, and a walk if I can squeeze it in on the weekend. And you know, I’m okay with that.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Marcia,
Wow, that first year with your first sounds pretty rough. Glad you’re not as stressed this time around to do it all. Same for me. I tried to do everything “right” when Summer was born, and looking back, I was really hard on myself. More self-love this time around, and it’s sooo much better!

Jen December 6, 2012 at 12:20 am

I’ve come to believe that joy in the company of others gives the greatest health benefits! I share your journey, minus the husband & kids, and – even when I’m doubting my “fitness” – try to remember that living a wholesome and happy life is the important thing, not necessarily being the most tight and toned. I’m looking forward to aging with grace! :) Great post, Heather.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Thanks Jen, and I could not agree more. Hoping to age with grace myself. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 6, 2012 at 8:32 am

Perspective is everything! It’s kind of crazy how the life you knew before can completely change (and does) when you have children. Finding a balance is not easy, but having the ability to look inside yourself and really focus on the here and now is such an important part of your changing life. I’m so happy for you and your family. You’ve worked so hard to get to this point and you have such an amazing family! So many hugs to you my friend!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hi Sarena,
I know I always count on wise comments from you, friend as I know you’ve been through all this and totally get it. Hugs to you too. :)

Katie December 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

It’s amazing the perspective that some little kiddos bring into your life, right?! Couldn’t have said it better myself!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Katie,
Yes, quite amazing. :)

Sarah December 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

Awesome, awesome post. I am still struggling with the “gotta get the workout in” mentality, but I’m slowly coming around to it.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Sarah,
You’ll get there. Believe me, I still struggle at times. Just need to trust and let go. :)

Talia December 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

Love this post- it is really true. I love posts like these- real ones! Life isnt perfect, I like working out but alot of the time working out is dancing with my 2 and 4 year old while my 5 month old watches us, or doing kiddy yoga with them, or chasing them in the backyard or picking the two older ones from school in a stroller. Its life, and is meant to be enjoyed, while being the healthiest you can.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Talia,
Dancing with Summer is one of my favorite activities. We have so much just being silly because yes, life is meant to be enjoyed. :)

Lara December 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh Heabie, you know I can relate! I think it’s a pretty great transformation actually. Our lives are so much richer now than the days when we were obsessed with diet and exercise. Obviously I still want to be healthy (and fit into my jeans) too, but my approach is much gentler. Loved this little post :)

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Thanks Lara.
P.S. I still want to fit into my jeans too. ;)

Jessica December 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm

What a lovely post! Filled with words many of us need to hear from time to time. Thanks you for sharing your authentic voice!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi Jessica,
Thanks for listening. :)

jennifer December 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm

This is my favorite post of yours!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Oh wow, thanks Jennifer. That means a lot. :)

Cecilia December 7, 2012 at 6:28 am

This was great! And believe me, I often eat a very similar dinner. I’m a single mom who works fulltime as an Infant Teacher in a child care center. I’m exhausted when I get home!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Cecilia,
Wow, you inspire me. If we were neighbors, I’d bring over a bag of chips so that we could share dinner together. :)

Alyssa December 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hey, if ketchup and pizza are vegetables, salsa TOTALLY counts!
Kids, especially wee ones, really put things into perspective, don’t they?

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Alyssa,
Most definitely! :)

Bree December 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm

What a great post. So refreshing to read.

I totally ate cottage cheese out of the container for dinner this past week. (I usually use Triscuits as my spoon.) I cook dinner about once a week now. I feel like my life used to revolve around my workouts. Now it’s amazing if I get 3 in a week. I am excited to start to get to play more with mine. I will probably regret saying this, but I am excited to be able to run around with them and play at the park and watch them experience the world around them. I still care about and am interested in working out and cooking, but there is only so much room in a day and in my brain to keep track of it all!

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Bree,
It is so fun once they are able to play and run around. I won’t lie – tummy time and playing on the floor just gets boring for me after a while. Now that Summer is older, I love chasing her around on the playground or dancing with her around the house. We stay active and have a great time while doing so. As much as I want Charlie and Katie to stay little babies for forever, I can’t wait to see them as toddlers, running around together. It will be so entertaining!

KC December 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm

This is such a great post. I’m right in the middle of my 20′s and to be honest, while I’m fairly slim, I’m struggling with not constantly thinking about what I’m eating and how I’m going to exercise to balance it out. Funny enough, I think it started when I started reading food/exercise blogs. It’s perspectives like yours in the post that help me refocus where I want to be with my attitude toward eating and exercising, because where I am now, it’s been detrimental to all sorts of things from academics to relationships with friends and family. Thanks for pointing out the right direction.

HEAB December 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

KC,
You’re welcome, and I’m happy this post spoke to you. Wish I could have read it in my 20′s. :)

Jess December 8, 2012 at 1:29 am

I so appreciate this post! You go right ahead and keep rambling off what’s on your mind. I’m a new mama myself and very much having similar thoughts. One thing I do struggle with though is missing the ability to workout very often. It’s no longer a priority to work out 5x/week–I’m ok with that but u do really miss my yoga. But alas, it’s just a season and before we know it we’re going to blink and our babes will be moving off to college!

HEAB December 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Jess,
So true. We’ll be back in the yoga studio before we know it. :)
Congrats on becoming a mom – pretty amazing, huh?

Joy December 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Your rambling is great! Whatever you write is right

HEAB December 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Joy. :)

Jess December 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

It is amazing how fast priorities do change! But a change for the better. Life is too short to spend worrying about how many minutes of exercise you’ve done. Although I’ve definitely been there!

HEAB December 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Jess,
Agreed. :)

Sarah December 9, 2012 at 9:51 am

love this post, and love you! Isn’t it just amazing how much kids change your priorities and life in a wholly positive way?

HEAB December 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thanks Sarah. Love you too, and hope the month of December is bringing you some rest. :)

Maren December 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Any movement is exercise HEAB! Especially with three kiddos! :) As long as you feel great, that’s what matters! And what a great husband CD is to cook for you both!

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

Maren,
Yes, the number of times I run up and down our stairs everyday totally counts for something, right? And yeah, CD is pretty great. :)

Courtney December 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

So happy to hear this! And I have this same theory/hope – in my 20s I was a mess, in my 30s I am starting to feel like I am figuring things out, so I just know that by the time I hit my 40s I’ll finally have it together!

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Courtney,
Yes, we’ll both get there. Our 40′s will be perfect. :)

Sara December 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

Love this! I read a lot of healthy living blogs that focus SO MUCH on getting a specific exercise in or certain meals and I often feel bad when I don’t do the same. I’m so glad you wrote this post! Makes me feel better for just trying to be active every day (however I manage that) and eating fairly well! I’m pregnant and adjusting to my new body and being tired and still have sickness/nausea off and on, is hard. So I’m trying to do what I can. Enough rambling. This post helped make my day :-)

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Sara,
I’m so glad this post spoke to you and congrats on your pregnancy. You have so much to look forward to. SO MUCH! :)

Nicole December 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I was just recounting being a blogger! Remember Nicole Raw & Awake? I was thinking of how it was sometimes so ridiculous and why I quit blogging after awhile because of it. I am glad you kept it going, I was just checking to see how things were with you. I am glad you’ve allowed yourself to evolve and grow. I used to obsess over exercise and diet too. Now I am more fit than before and I only exercise 20 minutes 5x a week and I ate cake for breakfast ;) . I think being happy is the best thing for your body…. and a deep level of respect for yourself.. because you will be always drawn to what will best serve you. I am so happy you are well and have such a beautiful family! and that you still blog. Much Love <3- Nicole

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Nicole,
Yes, I totally remember your blog, and I’m so happy you’re still around. Sounds like we’ve gained a bit of perspective since our early blogging days, huh? Here’s to being fit and eating cake for breakfast. ;)
Good to hear from you, and I hope you enjoy your Holiday season.
Love, Heather

Deadra December 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Oh Heather, I love your blog so much and this post is such a good reminder for me.
In the past year and a bit I’ve lost close to 100 pounds, granted I did it a little different, but I still have to be careful of what I eat and that I move move move, but it’s hard with kids, and I find myself at odds with the weight loss community because I won’t eat fake sugar, I won’t do low fat, all that icky stuff. I needed the reminder that I don’t need to obsess, just to remember the basics.
I am freaking out a little ’cause I have a chest cold and can’t run, and I REALLY feel like I NEED to.
breathe breathe breathe, hug a baby, breathe. Right?

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Dea,
Oh my goodness, that is awesome!!! I know letting go of the exercise thing is hard sometimes, but you just have to trust. Taking days off from a scheduled run used to completely stress me out, but over the past few years, I’ve learned that the weight will not come back if I continue to eat well and stay active, but there is no need to overdo it with excessive cardio. No need at all. Towards the end of my running days, I was simply using exercise as an excuse to eat more, and it turned into a horrible cycle for me. I could go on and on, but just know that you will be fine, and it sounds like you’re doing it right. So yes, remember the basics and get some rest. The few days off will do your body good and give you plenty of time for baby hugs and lots of cuddles. :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Love this post, Heather! Your point of view is wonderful.

HEAB December 10, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Kerry. :)

gina (fitnessista) December 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm

i feel like i could have written this post myself. i used to care so much about fitness and meals, trying to be “perfect” (whatever that is) and focused on time and numbers. it all probably wasn’t healthy, even though at the time it was normal for me, and motherhood has helped me realize what’s important. i don’t have time or care to cook like i used to, gym sessions are quickies, i drink a lot more coffee, and i’m a heck of a lot happier.
i still check your blog every day hoping for a new post- it’s always been one of my favorites. i’m so happy you still update when you get a chance.
love you, friend and hope to see you all next time you’re in az.
xoxo

HEAB December 11, 2012 at 9:01 am

Hi sweet Gina,
That means so much – thank you, and yes, motherhood definitely puts things in perspective, huh? It’s brought some wonderful changes to my life, and I know you feel the same way. Can’t believe your little one is almost a year old!!! I bet you can’t either. Hoping to get all the kiddos together some day for a play date in Arizona. It WILL happen. :)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Love this post. Love having read about your life and seeing how you’ve grown the last few years. Things change, people change, and we’re better for it I think.

HEAB December 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Joelle. :)

Cara (Twinthusiast) December 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Great post on perspective. I think this happens to a lot of women. I used to be pretty compulsive about strenuous exercise and “diet” food, and it’s amazing how differently I look at things post-pregnancy. While I certainly wish I had more time to exercise (simply because I LIKE to run), it’s not a do-or-die situation. And I’ve done a total 180 on food – now I eat almost nothing artificial, go for the full-fat version of everything, and generally seem to enjoy eating more. (It was a welcome a shocking surprise that my body bounced back from the pregnancy so quickly – I’ll take that perk of running after two little crazies!) Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying – I hear ya, Heather!

HEAB December 11, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Cara, and I could not agree more. Bring on the butter! :)

Marisa December 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Hi stranger! Glad you are at peace with so many things in your life.
I was wondering if you continue adding a protein shake during the day?

HEAB December 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Marisa,
No, I can’t tell you the last time I made a protein shake. I bought a new protein powder months ago, and it sits unopened in my cabinet. Smoothies or shakes would make a great quick meal, but they’re just not what I want when I get hungry these days.

Kristie December 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

Hi Heather! Long time no talk.

So, my question is: how do you draw that line between loving vegetables and wanting to eat them in abundance, and being stuck in a certain rigid mindset and making every meal veggie centric? Clearly you have reached success in this enterprise…please share!

HEAB December 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi Kristie,
I still love veggies – give me a big pile of steamed broccoli or roasted root vegetables, and I’m in heaven. Nothing wrong with wanting to eat them in abundance, but I used to think I HAD to have veggies at every meal, although I think part of my mindset was veggies are filling but low in calorie, and I would use them as a filler. Then I got pregnant and the thought of eating anything green made me really sick (for months, both pregnancies). It was then that I realized veggies are wonderful (when they don’t make you want to puke), but I can still be healthy and eat good meals without them. I get a lot of my vitamins/minerals from the meat, dairy, and grains I eat. I also eat a lot of white and sweet potatoes – veggies, yes, but before I thought I always had to fill my plate with GREEN vegetables. So not the case. Life goes on without broccoli…who knew?!?

STUFT Mama December 13, 2012 at 12:11 am

I just love this post Heather. I feel like I’m in over my head a lot these days, when the truth is, sometimes i just want to sit back and relax and not worry. Something’s gotta give and it’s about time I figure it out. You’re so honest and inspiring. I needed to read this tonight. Needed it. :) Hugs friend!

HEAB December 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks Kristin. Here’s to a relaxing evening free of worries, right? Hugs right back at ya. :)

Katy M December 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for keeping it real. As a new mom, a sometimes blogger and frequent blog reader, it’s nice to read something familiar. Lately I feel extremely accomplished if I make a full meal and it had better last for a couple days at least. Popcorn is also acceptable for dinner, FYI.

HEAB December 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hi Katy,
You’re welcome, and yes, popcorn is a totally acceptable dinner. So funny you wrote that b/c we’ve been making microwave popcorn so often that I finally borrowed my mom’s popcorn popper and bought some kernels this weekend. Can’t wait to try popping our own for dinner soon. :)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) December 17, 2012 at 5:28 am

Love seeing the fun times you’re having with your darling family. Enjoy it all!!

MISS YOU!!!

HEAB December 17, 2012 at 8:23 am

Liz,
Sweet friend, MISS YOU too. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season with your family. My goal for 2013 – call Liz! Hehe, it WILL happen! :)

alli December 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm

this is why i love you! your wisdom. thanks for sharing. i am so stuck in the- “i have to sweat 6+x/week”. i did really well after i had my baby over 2 years ago when it comes to body image and overexercising {but of course i would never say i overexercise!} ;) but i have slowly crept back on that wagon. i always enjoy posts that remind me to work on shifting my thought process. thank you. xoxo

HEAB December 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Alli,
You’re welcome – glad this post helped. I sometimes wonder if my old habits would creep back into my life, but then along came Charlie and Katie, and nope, workouts once again got shoved to the back burner. And AGAIN, I realized that staying active is great (for both me and the kids), but I don’t have to get my sweat on for a certain amount of time each day five times a week. So grateful for these three little ones and all the lessons they teach me. :)

Angela Mou December 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hi Heather,

I’ve been a big fan and follower of HEAB for some time now, and I really enjoy drawing inspiration from and cooking your delicious recipes at home!

I’d like to talk with you about working with you and your blog. My company, DietBet, is a social dieting startup that runs fun, friendly, engaging weight-loss competitions. Considering your passion for healthy recipes and fitness, I think your audience would be a great fit for a campaign we’re about to launch.

You can find out more about our company at: http://www.dietbet.com

Please email at your convenience and we can discuss budget, timing, etc.

So happy to hear that your life is going so well! :)

Thanks,
Angela

HEAB December 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi Angela,
Thanks for reading and for your kind words regarding my blog. I appreciate you thinking of me in regards to your new company, but it’s not something I’m interested in doing right now. Family life is keeping me pretty busy these days, and the blog is just for fun whenever I have time to write.
Enjoy your Holidays and best of luck with DietBet!
-Heather

Angela Mou December 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for your response, and please do let me know if you change your mind down the road… enjoy the holidays with your family!

All the best,
Angela

Tilly December 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm

You are so right- having children really does change a person’s perspective on a lot of things!

HEAB December 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Tilly,
Agreed! :)

JaimeFNP December 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I have always adored you, and I particularly love this post. It may be my favorite one ever of yours. I cannot wait to be a mom one day soon(ish), and reading your blog always reinforces that sentiment :)
xoxo

HEAB December 24, 2012 at 6:54 am

Aww, thanks Jamie, that means a lot. You’re going to be an amazing mama someday. I just know it. :)

Lizzy January 16, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I think I just wrote the exact same post the other day. My blog is called to Food to Run For but since having my baby – I’m not exactly into running OR food. Priorities certainly shift in life but it seems like we’re both very happy : )

Kristen January 31, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Oh my gosh, HEAB! I thought you had stopped writing on your blog so I stopped checking it a looooong time ago. I’m so excited to see you’re writing on it again! I can totally relate to this post. I have a two month old (yay!) and it’s totally made me realize that my priorities were totally out of whack before I had a baby. I was completely obsessed with food and working out. Although I still think that stuff is important it has taken a huge back seat in my life. I can probably count on one hand the amount of dinners I’ve cooked in the past three months, and going to the gym? Hah! These days going for a walk is the best I can do, but I’ve realized that that’s okay because spending the day with my son (and learning how to breastfeed, get him to sleep, etc.) is what is important right now :) . So glad to get in touch with you again! I live in the south now. Hopefully we’ll make it up to Nashville some weekend and we can get together :) .

HEAB January 31, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Hi Kristen,
Yep, still blogging when I have the time which isn’t very often, but I needed a creative outlet. :)

Congrats on the birth of your little one. Awesome news, and I’m so happy for you guys, and yes, you have moved. I think the last time we emailed, your time in Japan was coming to an end. I hope everything went okay with the move, and that you got all settled before baby arrived. Happy to hear you’re enjoying some time outside and taking walks. Nothing like a little fresh air for both me and kiddos. Love our walks together.

So glad you stopped by, and I look forward to your road trip to Nashville someday. ;)

Sarah February 28, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I’m just curious, do you think you’d still have the diet/exercise obsession if you hadn’t had children? i always find it so interesting when people say things along the line of they realize their priorities were out of whack before having kids…when really, they were just your priorities at the time, without the whole ‘being completely responsible for lives other than your own thing” thrown into your personal mix. I’m really enjoying your blog, my sister just recommended it to me. :)

HEAB March 1, 2013 at 7:36 am

Hi Sarah,
Good question. Knowing myself, I’m pretty sure if I’d still be making diet & exercise a top priority if I didn’t have kids. I mean both are still important to me. I want my kids to see me eating good food and taking care of my body – but in a healthy/non-obsessive way. I used to make exercise my TOP priority, even when it shouldn’t have been, like on family vacations, etc. Before our first arrived, I had already relaxed and backed off the exercise – thank you yoga. My yoga practice rescued me from my cardio addiction. The diet thing is still a struggle sometimes and probably always will be, but I’ve let go of a lot of my “food rules”. Again, I want to eat well as a family, but I don’t want there to be a lot of rules surrounding what we eat like I had for myself for years. Working on it, and so far so good.

Thank you for reading and please tell your sister thanks for spreading the HEAB love. :)

Heidi March 30, 2013 at 2:31 pm

It’s amazing how much time we’ll spend and pain we’ll accept/inflict/demand before we stop equating control with perfection, believing one will lead to the other. It’s an addictive cycle, and so unrewarding. Healthy living is empowering, but obsession is not. The times in my life I’ve actually been most fulfilled haven’t been the times I worked out and dieted the most. They’ve been the times when life was too full for thinking about or doing much of either, and when I wasn’t comparing myself to others. Never once has real happiness made me fat or sick. But I have to be reminded of that constantly. Thanks for this post.

HEAB March 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Heidi,
Well said. Thanks for your comment as I need reminding too.

Leah May 20, 2013 at 6:33 am

I love this post. My children are 6 & 9. I always used to stress over meals. Wanted everything to be “perfect” Gosh when I finally chilled out and realized meals don’t have to be a huge production it was a relief… Kids enjoy simplicity and it’s less stress all around :)

Just curious as I’m trying to lose a bunch of weight, what do you put in your coffee? I cat drink it black. I like half and half but my sweetener of choice is the liquid creamer. I love it

HEAB May 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Leah,
This makes me feel so much better as I feel all this pressure and keep telling myself someday we’re all going to actually have to sit down to family dinners together – but honestly, I could not imagine cooking for everyone every single night and all of us sitting down together. I know a lot of families do it, but I’m with you – I don’t think family meals need to be a huge production. We’re all about keeping it simple around here, and besides, I don’t want the focus always being on food when we’re all together.

As far as coffee goes, I use half and half (I like my coffee almost white – NOT a fan of black either), and to sweeten it, I use NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops. My favorite combo. The NuNaturals drops help me wean myself off of sugar free French Vanilla Coffee Mate. ;) Oh, and when I’m at a coffee shop, I usually just get an au lait sweetened with sugar free vanilla syrup, splenda and all!

Leah June 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Where do you get your NuNaturals from? Online or a store?
Its time to get off the coffee creamer for good. Im tired of fighting this Sugar Monster – LOL!! Im so addicted to it..

HEAB June 13, 2013 at 6:59 am

iherb.com. Use the code EME542 for $5 off your first order. Love that site!

{ 2 trackbacks }