Let’s Play House

by HEAB on January 15, 2013

So far, the year has been pretty grey in Nashville, and until the sun decides to once again grace us with its presence, we’ve been trying to come up with activities for a rainy day(s). ¬†Enter Play House Project 2013…

We used cardboard boxes leftover from Christmas deliveries, and after a few swipes with the X-AXTO knife and a little paint, Summer now has her own play house.

For days when she feels like romping around in the grass surrounded by flowers…

and butterflies…

And for those days she’d rather wander the streets of New York City, hail a cab, and head to the Village…

Such a fun project, and Summer seems to be enjoying her new digs.

Picky Nicky January 15, 2013 at 6:35 pm

What a cute idea! and those pj’s are so adorable!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Nicky. :)

Tracy January 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm

So cute and fun! I bet it keeps her entertained for hours.

I can’t believe how much older she’s looking! Where does the time go?!

And seriously, how many months ’til summer?!? It’s dreadfully cold here in Kansas City. Indoor activities are a necessity for sure!!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Tracy,
I have no idea. She’s looking more and more little girl and less toddler every day. Please make it stop. :(

Sunshine all weekend here. Cold but sunny. Definitely ready for some warmer temps!

Michelle January 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm

omg, look at Summer’s long hair!! Gorgeous. And what a fun project for playtime. I love it!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Thanks Michelle, we love the finished play house too, and yes, Summer’s hair is so long. You should see it when it’s wet. Goes all the way down her back! Love her long gorgeous curls. :)

Missy January 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Beautiful.
No screen.
No batteries required.
100% stimulated imaginations at work.
and one nomination for best mom ever. Make that three. no four..no probably a whole lotta votes, Heather.

Sincerely,
Blog reader whose best toy remembered was a refrigerator box carved with windows and decorated by my (dearly departed) brother.
You are creating memories and so much more.

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Aww, thanks Missy. Your comment melted my heart. Sounds like you made some precious memories with your brother.

Lori January 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Too cute! You are very artistic.

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Lori. We had fun making it. :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Oh that is too cute!! I love the flowers and butterflies on one side and new york on the other! So creative and I’m sure Summer will love it! Something about boxes is so fun as a kid!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Alex, and yes, not sure what is so exciting about boxes, but I loved them myself back in the day. :)

purelytwins January 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I want to come play house!! You guys are sooooo creative!!!
xoxo
~Lori

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Lori, and you know you are welcome anytime!

Morgan January 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Look at those gorgeous curls! Love the creativity. I imagine it’s so much fun to get to be a kid again with your little ones : )

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Morgan,
I know, I love her hair! And yes, it is fun. I have a blast with Summer’s art supplies and play with them more than she does. :)

Shannon January 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Heather,
Have you ever read the book, Christina Katarina and the Box? It’s such a cute children’s book, about a girl who does lots of things with the refrigerator box. You can only find it used, but I would recommend you get a copy.

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Shannon,
No, I have not, but I think I need to. Going to look for it on Amazon right now. Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds right up our alley. :)

Natalie January 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Adorable, what a cute idea!!! You’re so talented. And I can’t get over Summer’s hair. It’s so long and pretty! I’m still waiting it out to be able to put my 2.5 year old’s in a ponytail!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Natalie,
Hehe. If it makes you feel any better, the twins arrived with a lot less hair. In fact, Katie will not be seeing a ponytail holder for a while. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 15, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Awww, what a cutie! I love the playhouse and all the little artwork on it. And her hair…is just gorgeous! She takes after her mama :)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Aww, thanks Averie. She definitely inherited my thick hair, but mine doesn’t have those gorgeous curls like Summer’s. I love it.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Oh, how I totally forgot about making cardboard houses when I was young! Mine weren’t as pretty as yours, though! :)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Kerry,
Ha, ours weren’t either, but we didn’t care. My mom said we spent HOURS in our refrigerator box. No paint required. :)

dianna January 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm

this is just totally awesome. i have a 14-month-old and i’m totally inspired! thanks!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Dianna,
You’re welcome. Have fun with your play house art. :)

Holly January 16, 2013 at 12:09 am

So great! I especially like the artwork. I could never have something turn out that nice. She is getting so big!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Holly,
Thank you, and so true about Summer. She is looking more and more “little girl” and less “toddler” everyday. :(

Marty January 16, 2013 at 12:40 am

What a great idea! Summer looks like she’s having fun. Love the idea. Xo

Cecilia January 16, 2013 at 6:07 am

Love that! What a great idea to paint different scenes.

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Thanks Cecilia, it was a fun project. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 16, 2013 at 7:25 am

Gosh I miss the days when the boys played in boxes. I LOVED watching them use their imagination and creativity that way. I’m so over this weather. I need a little sunshine in my life! Hopefully it will be over soon…hopefully.

PS, I’m emailing you today!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Hi Sarena,
Hope you guys enjoyed this sunny weekend as much as we did. It was beautiful here in Nashville!

Melissa January 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

Great job! My ‘little ones’ are much older (7 yr old twin boys, 9 yr old girl, 11 yr old boy, 13 yr old girl, 15 yr old boy and 23 yr old boy!) but they still LOVE boxes! I wish I could find a huge box that they could play in.

Stay safe and warm – hopefully your weather will be better soon. In Florida we’ve been dealing with warmer temps. I know that sounds great to alot of y’all but we get enough summer! A little winter would be nice.

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Melissa,
Wow, you sound like a busy mama. I love it! :)

We had sunshine all weekend Cold but sunny, and I’ll try to send some of those cooler temps your way.

Melissa January 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm

We stay pretty busy (we homeschool, too!), but I wouldn’t have it any other way! Thanks for sending some cool temps out way – this week is going to be perfect!

Scott in Ohio January 16, 2013 at 8:39 am

So in that last photo…is that the table she sits at to write her blog? :-)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Scott,
Ha! Totally. ;)

Alyssa January 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

Love the artwork! You are so crafty :-)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Alyssa. :)

the delicate place (@misathemeb) January 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm

her hair is getting so long! this is a genius idea and cheap! i had a tent type thing when i was younger that was my playhouse and it was where some of my craftiest plans were hatched!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Melissa. I hope Summer can say the same someday. :)

Monica January 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Always love seeing a new blog from you pop up in my feed! And I love this creative play idea! We have been all going nutty from the snow and cold and keeping Wrigley interested in toys has been difficult. Is it spring yet? ;)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Awww, thanks Monica. Love the photo of you and your little one all bundled up for a walk outside on Instagram. We’ve been doing the same. As long as it’s not raining we try to get outside!

Ameena January 16, 2013 at 4:49 pm

The New York scene is just amazing…seriously. I can’t draw a thing so I am very impressed!

Here’s hoping you get some good weather soon!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Ameena. We’ve had sunshine all weekend but doesn’t quite compare to the view from your parents’ deck. ;)

Lorne January 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Boxes are just the best – so many possibilities!
I love love love Summer’s PJs – they are the cutest.

Have a super day Heather :0)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Lorne,
Hope you’re feeling better and that you’re getting plenty of rest!

Alyssa January 17, 2013 at 12:10 am

O.M.G!!!!!! I LOVE it! So cool!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Alyssa!

Jess January 17, 2013 at 8:20 am

How wonderful! Enjoy!

Lena January 17, 2013 at 8:26 am

totally awesome!! totally innovative and I simply love the drawings to make an ordinary box into a play thing!!! so fun!!!

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Lena,
We had a good time making it. :)

Lara January 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I hope I am as creative and fun as you are when G is a toddler. I’m bookmarking this for a rainy Seattle day in a couple of years :)

HEAB January 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Lara,
I have a feeling you will be. It’s amazing what a mom is capable of after being stuck inside with a toddler all day due to bad weather. Trust me, the creative juices will start to flow!

Jennifer J. January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I just read your blog. It seems like you try to make your readers think you are the ultimate creative “super-mom”, slaving away doing art projects on a rainy day, while also caring for 3 kids on your own. But you never mention anywhere that you have a full-time nanny. Yes, you have 3 kids, but so do many, many other moms— and many of those also work for a living. I think most people think that defining yourself as a “stay at home mom” means something different than the life you are leading, so I think it’s less than honest and devalues the truly full-time in the home work that so many millions of moms do. The only moms I know with a nanny also work and have a career.

HEAB January 21, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hi Jennifer, I’ve mentioned it in the comments before, and it’s not a secret that we have help. I’m grateful for our nanny because otherwise, leaving the house by myself with all three is a real challenge as we don’t own a triple stroller. Plus she is wonderful with our kids. However she does not work for us full-time. She’s only part time.

HEAB January 21, 2013 at 8:26 am

P.S.
Unless it’s a craft I am doing with my toddler, all crafting and painting are done after all the kids go to bed or during nap time.

Bid January 21, 2013 at 11:51 am

Jennifer did you really just say “slaving” away? Great word choice…

About Heather… I have known her for a long time… You are wrong Jennifer…or at least misdirecting your anger.. I don’t think i heard Heather complaining about her life, saying she was burdened, or claiming to be someone she is not… Just that it was raining and she was inside with a toddler.. and it made her creative..

What is wrong with having a nanny? Who does not come out ahead in this situation?

So what is your real problem here?

Cara (Twinthusiast) January 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Soooo cute!

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) January 24, 2013 at 6:16 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE the playhouse!!!

And P.S., ignore the hater commenters above.

Alli January 25, 2013 at 3:14 am

TOO CUTE!!! You have great talent, too. I Love the paint job on the play house :D This inspired me to make one for my son. He’s an only child so far (almost 2.5) and I bet he would LOVE something like this! I appreciate momma sharing their creative ideas so those of us who don’t have them can benefit ;) xo

HEAB January 25, 2013 at 8:49 am

Thanks Alli, and I hope your little boy enjoys his play house. I love when moms share their projects as well. So much creativity out there, and I’ve gotten many ideas from others…thank you Pinterest. :)

honeywhatscooking January 31, 2013 at 9:36 pm

what a cute idea.. to play house.. dont’ have kids yet, but i’ll keep this one in mind. it’s been gray here in NYC too… here’s to hoping we both get some sunshine.

HEAB February 1, 2013 at 8:16 am

Honeywhatscooking,
It’s sunny here right now, and so hopefully you have some coming your way! :)

Kelly February 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Awesome!!! You are such a good mama!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2013 at 5:43 am

Aww, this is the loveliest idea! I had a play house as well when I was little, and loved it dearly!

Shefali February 28, 2013 at 2:26 am

What a super idea. Those pjs are totally adorable. And since we have LOTS of rainy days in Seattle, I am going to do this pretty soon :)