No More Saltines

by HEAB on February 5, 2013

All five of us got hit with that nasty stomach virus going around, and wow, that was not fun.  Not fun AT ALL.  Do you know what’s worse than puking and running to the bathroom hour after hour when all you want to do is lie in bed and sleep?  Watching your three babies go through it.   We survived, but I was more than happy to bid adieu to Puke Fest 2013.  Everything is pretty much back to normal including my appetite, and after several days of eating nothing but Saltines, I’ve been enjoying a variety of meals this week.

Lunchtime around here can get a little crazy.  We have a part-time nanny that helps me in the mornings.  She usually leaves right around the time Chris arrives home to grab a quick lunch and see the kids.  He’ll help me feed Summer and put her down for her nap and then goes back to work, right around the time Charlie and Katie wake up from their 2nd nap of the day.  Sounds a little hectic, and some days it is, but thankfully I have help.

Now, where was I?  Oh yes, lunch.  I usually eat after getting the twins up and all settled.  They like to hang out with me in their bouncy seats while I eat. My mid-day meal must come together quickly because Charlie and Katie are usually ready to eat about 30 minutes after their nap.  Also, it must satiate me for several hours.  This is why I never just make a sandwich.  As much I love a good PB & J, I can eat two or three before I’m full.  Below are two easy-to-put-together meals that kept me going all afternoon.  Pretty darn tasty too!

Avocado Egg Bowl inspired by Elise.

I threw some red quinoa in the rice cooker earlier in the day, and when it was time for lunch, I stirred the cooked quinoa together with a little butter and brewers yeast (LOVE this flavor combo) and then topped my bowl with an egg and half an avocado.  Filling and delicious!

Today’s lunch…

Two white potatoes cooked in the microwave and topped with baked beans, sour cream, and pepper.  So easy, so yummy.

Still here, still eating bizarre combos all slopped together in a bowl, still HEAB. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Sorry you were sick…and your kids were all sick. I can only imagine, Heather! At least you’re on the mend but I bet it was a bad few days. Kath just posted today about getting the fly. Hopefully you all stay healthy now for the rest of cold, flubug, and germ season :)

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Averie, I’m hoping for a healthy remainder of 2013 myself. Done enough puking and laundry to last us until at least 2020. :)

PT February 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I still check your blog from time to time for updates and was here today looking for meal inspiration and saw your new post! I made Annie’s gluten free Mac and cheese with yogurt and butter (per your suggestion) and stir in ground turkey and broccoli, and baked into a casserole.

Sorry everyone got sick but im glad to hear that everyone is ok and things are back to normal. :)

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Hi PT, thanks for checking in, and your casserole sounds pretty perfect. I should make something like that to have on hand for lunches throughout the week. Hopefully, Summer will be willing to spare a box of her beloved mac & cheese. :)

marie February 5, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear about Puke Fest, but glad to hear that you’re still out there enjoying some lovely Fusion Cuisine. ;-)

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Haha, thanks Marie! :)

Debra February 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Love when HEAB pops up on email and always read it first. Glad to hear you and your sweet little family are feeling better.

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Aww, thanks Debra. :)

Melissa February 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm

So sorry you were all sick – especially the babies. That’s the worst part for a mom! Love the idea of those bowls, baked beans and a potato – what a cool sounding combo!
I’ve got to try cooking quinoa in my rice cooker. Do you just use the same measurements as when you cook it on the stove? And just let it go till you’re ready to use it?
Glad you’re all better and enjoying yummy food again!

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Melissa,
Thank you, and yes, it was awful. Poor babes – they didn’t understand what was happening. Broke my heart, and so glad it’s all over!

As far as the cooking quinoa in the ricer cooker goes, I usually do a 1:3 ratio of quinoa to liquid, and it works great. So, if I want to cook 1/2 cup dry quinoa, I’ll add 1.5 cups liquid (usually do mostly water with a little chicken or veggie broth).

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

woooo-eeeee! Sounds like a brutal fall out with the flu. No fun. At. All. Glad everyone’s doing better! :) So glad to see a post from you.

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Michelle. Glad we’re doing better too! :)

Maren February 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm

ugh! What a mess! Glad to hear everyone is healthy again. Nate and I both got the flu a week before our wedding and I cannot imagine having to take care of him while I couldn’t even get off the floor. p.s. your pictures are still gorgeous as ever!

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Maren, and yes, I remember your some of your pre-wedding sick pics on Instagram. So happy you were all better in time for the big day – you looked stunning.

My mom came over to help with the babies while we were all sick. Not sure how we would have done it without her!

Cherie February 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Awww, bummer about everyone being sick. Glad you’re all feeling better!

I’m still doing one skillet wonders, lol! Your bowls look really great too.

Hope ya’ll stay well! Til next time…..

HEAB February 5, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Cherie, I’m so glad we’re feeling better too. Planning on staying healthy for the remainder of 2013!

maggie @ say yes to salad February 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oh jeez – I hope you’re feeling much better!

I will never tire of your bizarre bowl-y combos. :D Keep them coming when you have the time!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Maggie. I will. :)

Purelymichelle February 5, 2013 at 10:54 pm

oh no, hope everyone is feeling better!! My niece is sick, went to the doctor had 102 fever, but tested her and she doesn’t have the flu!! Thank God!!

thinking of you guys
xoxo

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Michelle, we’re doing much better now. Hope your niece is better too, and so happy to hear it’s not the flu. I hear this year’s virus is AWFUL. So glad none of us had fever or the chills. Could not imagine all that on top of what we already had to deal with. Yuck. :(

Ameena February 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm

If it’s any consolation there has been barfing going on in our house too. It wasn’t pretty but I guess I can’t complain because I have just one barfer to clean up after!

The boiled egg is my best friend. I’m eating one as I write this!

Glad you are all better Heather!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Ameena, me too! Hope Maya is back to 100% and working diligently on her next book report. ;)

Lou February 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Oh no! You poor things. We got slammed with a stomach virus last year (twice) and Misty ended up in hospital because he couldn’t keep ANYTHING down – it was horrendous. It’s the WORST feeling in the world, no? So glad to hear you are all on the mend and getting an appetite back – it’s so hard to see your babes sick, isn’t it? Hugs!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Lou,
Oh no, poor Misty. I was a bit concerned about Charlie (seem to hit him the worst) b/c everything went right through him for a few days, but he’s doing much better now. Awful to see our little ones so ill. :(

Cara (Twinthusiast) February 5, 2013 at 11:42 pm

What a bummer – so glad you’re feeling better! We had it over Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was so, so miserable. I think it was the sickest I’d ever seen my husband! Anyhoo…great lunch inspiration! Glad your appetite is back.

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Cara,
I know you guys have been sick too. Having sick kiddos makes is so much harder. Hope to never go through that again, although I’m sure we’ll all be sharing our viruses for many years to come. :(

the 3volution of j3nn February 6, 2013 at 3:35 am

Oh no! Getting the stomach flu is so terrible, I can’t even imagine with all the babies having it at the same time. So glad everyone is well again! And I’m so happy to hear you have help. I had a nanny when I was little — LOVED her! Your meals are so much like mine. I like a little of everything with odd flavors and textures. Never tried Brewer’s yeast, but love nooch. :)

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Jenn,
Yep, “terrible” about sums it up. So glad it’s over!

We love our nanny, and she loves our kids. Blessed to have her for sure!

Joy February 6, 2013 at 4:08 am

Glad pukefest is over! I had it earlier this month and Jim avoided me like… Well a Pukey whiny baby!
Funny story: I went through a cooking phase where everything was on a potato, ohhh you want pizza who needs a crust we have potatoes, hot dogs and beans? Sure no need to buy rolls we have potatoes etc… Well it ended but this week I bought potatoes again I thought Jim was going to cry… I was just making him steak and potatoes geesh…
He still won’t eat eggs though (I had an egg phase too)

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Joy,
Me too. Good riddance!

So funny about your potato phase. CD and I go through our tater times too. They’re just so filling, inexpensive and good for you. Make a great pasta sub or pizza crust if you ask me! A potato = a blank canvas. ;)

Cecilia February 6, 2013 at 5:36 am

Glad you are all feeling better!! I love your “bizarre combos”. I do the same. You have to find things that keep you going when you have little ones to take care of.

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Cecilia,
Amen to that. My bizarre bowls definitely keep me motivated and happy. :)

Lena February 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

Dear me! Glad that everything is ok again. Glad that you all are feeling better and doing better. A friend just introduced me to quinoa, perhaps this would be an excellent idea for me to try with the quinoa. Thanks! and take care! (:

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Lena,
Thank you and yes, try the quinoa bowl! So good – to add a little flavor replace some of your quinoa cooking water with chicken or veggie broth. Makes it even betta. :)

Ana February 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

Oh no, it is already hard when mom is sick, I can’t imagine you being sick along with Chris and the kids… I am glad you are all done with the puke fest, stomach bugs are the worse.
I had the same combo as you last week and this week again, I love quinoa with eggs and avocado! I have basically been eating avocado daily on my lunches and can’t seem to get enough. And egg is another food that I have been on a kick lately, the organic cage-free ones with the orange yolk are so amazing, I love my eggs just like yours, with a runny yolk. I poach and top them with salt, pepper and olive oil, and then when I break the yolk I add a sprinkle of salt in it… sooo good!!
Always enjoying hearing from you Heather, your blog is still the best!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Hi sweet Ana,
Of course you love quinoa with eggs and avocados. From oats to ice-cream to avocados…our bellies are totally in sync! :)

Would love an update from you whenever you get the chance. Miss you!

Amelia February 6, 2013 at 8:53 am

Aw, poor babies. Sorry you all had to go through that! Luckily it’s over. :)

I definitely miss your posts, but know that you are a busy mama! It’s always a nice surprise when I open my reader and see anything pop up from you. :)

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thanks Amelia. Always lifts my spirits to read comments like this. I miss you guys!

Susan February 6, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’m glad that you and the kiddos are feeling better!

Hayley@PBRunnerGirl February 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

So glad you all are doing better! Sounds like a crazy schedule but I am sure it is so worth it! That avocado bowl looks amazing! I get so many good ideas from your blog! Thanks Heather!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Hayley. Hope you enjoy an avocado bowl soon! :)

the delicate place (@misathemeb) February 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

glad to hear the HEAB home is on the mend! have you ever baked an egg in the avocado half? also, i’m going to change your life…the soft boiled egg…perfect every time. all you have to do is put 1/2 inch water in a pan and bring it to a boil, place egg in there for 6 mins. remove and run cool water over it, peels perfect and the middles are insane custard goodness! also, that potato pave recipe i ate last night is so good. it’s really just potatoes, heavy cream & butter…obviously delish :)

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Hi Melissa,
Just enjoyed my first soft boiled egg for lunch. Mmm, love that runny yoke. Definitely life changing. THANK YOU!

Oh, and no haven’t tried the baked egg in the avocado but just recently saw a photo of one and thought, I must try that!

Katie February 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

I am in the throes of this bug myself. I haven’t gotten the pukes just yet, but things are coming out if you know what I mean.

I agree with melissa above too. The avocado baked egg is awesome. And the soft boiled eggs…heaven. I used to eat that for breakfast daily in Hawaii – 2 soft boiled eggs with two pieces of crumbled toast, mixed with avocado cubes. YUM.

Hope everyone is back to 100% soon! And so glad to hear you have help!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Oh Katie,
I am so sorry and hope you’re feeling better soon. It knocked both Chris and I off our feet for about 24 hours. Affected babies a little longer – so sad. :(

Hope you’re enjoying some avocado and eggs again soon…also hope you’ve been able to find a good avocado supplier up there in the midwest. I know you’re missing your cheap avocados!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh HEAB, I’m sorry all of you were sick. It’s really hard to deal with throw up for yourself and your kids…especially at the same time. I’m glad you’re all feeling better! Love to see good old HEAB eating her bowls of food again. Tony is amazed at how I can eat every meal from a bowl. It’s a gift. ;)

I hope this week is treating you better! xoxo

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Sarena,
Haha, yes, a gift from heaven indeed. :)

Tracy February 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Bless your heart! Glad puke fest is over and glad to hear you’re still the same old HEAB, bizarre combos and all.

Stay healthy!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Tracy,
We’re trying! :)

R February 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I have you on Google Reader so I can still tell when you post :)

What’s brewer’s yeast taste like? How much do you use? Every time you post food, it makes me want it!

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Hi R, thanks for keeping me around! :)

Oh gosh, I love the Lewis Labs brand of brewer’s yeast, but the taste is a little hard to describe. I guess it’s kind of nutty like nutritional yeast, but not as cheesy tasting. A little more bitter. Pairs really well with butter. I stir that combo into my oats, quinoa, etc. Good on potatoes (white and sweet) as well, and I like it on toast too. Big fan!

Lara February 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Oh Heabs, I cannot even imagine. The three of us had a cold over Christmas and I thought that was bad. I am so sorry. So glad you’re all better though! I think there is something magical about potatoes and beans…especially when you add sour cream :)

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Lara,
Honestly, it was awful, but we survived.

Jacket Potatoes – those Brits are totally onto something. :)

Sarah February 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I feel your pain on such a smaller scale. Wish I were closer so I could have helped. Isn’t it amazing how great you feel now?

HEAB February 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Sarah,
Can’t imagine having gone through this only to deal with an appendicitis and then colds a week later. Happy to hear we’re both feeling amazing, and I hope the rest of the Pea family is as well. :)

Lorne February 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Yay! to your one bowl wonders :0) Isn’t the rice cooker the bestest?

HEAB February 7, 2013 at 8:58 am

Lorne,
The bestest for sure. :)

beth February 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

thank you for posting, i come back for a look often but realize that since the family has increased you have caretaking tasks at hand, may continued health and vitality be restored. thank you for posting at one point about summer’s allergies to wheat and cinnamon, the latter was unusual to hear about. peace and blessings, beth

HEAB February 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for sticking with me Beth. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 16, 2013 at 5:42 am

Oh no, stomach virus just isn’t fun! :( Good to hear you’re all better now!

Thank you for the meal ideas! The combination of fibers, fat, and protein is the most satisfying for me as well, but after a sandwich I’d get hungry again quickly.

HEAB February 16, 2013 at 8:42 am

Hi Kath,
Thankfully, we’re all healthy now, but yeah, the virus was pretty awful. I need a good combo of fiber, fat, and protein as well to keep me full. Potatoes and quinoa both make a great base and satiate me a lot longer than bread.

Also, so happy to read about playhouse. Hope our kiddos have fond memories of theirs as well. :)

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily February 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I found the baked potato/baked beans combo by default and it’s my new favorite lunch combo. Totally going to add sour cream next time :)

HEAB February 18, 2013 at 8:33 am

Jen,
You MUST try the potato/bean combo with sour cream. Brings it to a whole new level!

Melanie Bowen February 21, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hello,

I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

Melanie

sophie February 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love your meals! The potato and beans sounds so yum! I recently brought white potatoes back into my life – damn I have been missing out. Have to say they are better than sweet potatoes!

Hope the twins and summer are all well.!

HEAB February 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hi Sophie,
Too funny – I did the same thing with white potatoes. Avoided them for years. So silly because they are so good, not to mention very versatile. Happy to hear potatoes are back in both of our lives! :)

Jeff March 16, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Suggest folks to check into the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and the science behind it. Almonds are the only non acidic nut so I’m glad to see you love that though. Can’t believe yall are eating complex carbs like potatoes. Nightshades are our enemy :D All the best to everybody hope ya find a steady course of health God bless.

Jeff March 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Also forgot to mention to look into GMO(Genetically Modified Organisms), and how they are rampant in the United States. Many nations like Europe ban GMOs. Trader Joes has been GMO free since 2001 they go into depth about it on their website. Whole Foods however is not GMO free and won’t start labeling GMO until 2018. For more info on GMO checkout link below to a forum that someone organized with info.