Goodbye Boring White Onesies

by HEAB on March 1, 2013

Lou asked how I made the tie dye onesies for the baby shower last weekend.  Lou, this post is for you. :)

A friend of mine had a hard time finding plain colored onesies for her son and decided to make her own using Rit Dye.  Using her idea, I simply wrapped rubber bands around my onesies before throwing them in the washing machine with a bottle of pink dye and voilà, tie dyed onesies…

I’ve been wanting to make a tie dyed onesie for Charlie and used this post as an excuse to purchase blue dye.  Rit Dye costs less than $3 a bottle and can be found in the laundry detergent aisle of most grocery stores, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.  I gathered up a onesie, a tank top and t-shirt, and a couple of burp cloths for my dyeing adventures.

Thick and strong rubber bands are the key to tie dyeing with dye in your washing machine, and I made a quick video on how to wrap them around your material.

Now for the fun part!  Follow the directions on the back of your bottle of dye or online here.  You can also use the dye in a sink or bucket.  However, I prefer the washing machine as it’s less messy, and the color comes out more even.  Oh, and my method only works if you want to tie dye with one color.  For multi colored tie dyeing, there are a ton of tutorials available online, and tie dye kits are available at most craft stores.

The end results…

maggie @ say yes to salad March 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

These are adorable! I think the last time I did tie dying must have been in girl scouts about 20 years ago. I will have to bookmark this for future fun projects :)

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Maggie. Definitely time to revisit the art of tie dye. :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I love that you made matching Mom – baby tie dyes! It’s adorable. :)

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Michelle. Fun project for sure!

sophie March 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I remember doing tie dye when I was younger. Loved it so much! I felt like a mini hippie ha!

Your skin is so amazing btw – great glow!

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Mini hippie. Love it. Guess that makes me a mama hippie. :)

Thanks for the skin comment. I’ve been moisturizing like crazy this winter, and I eat a lot of dietary fat. Always helps my skin if it’s feeling dry.

Amy March 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Cute idea, especially for when the onesies become “discolored.” :) FYI, I played your video and then left the room. When I came back, I was looking at your twins and I don’t think I was meant to be!

HEAB March 1, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up Amy. Yeah, we try to keep the kiddos off the Internet, and I went back and fixed the embedded link. :)

meghan March 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm

The best part of this is all the videos of you and the kiddos that automatically load after the tie-dye one. Cute!

Lori Z March 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Great idea!!
After the tie dye video ended another started with the twins and with Summer. It absolutely melted my heart but I am not sure you meant for it to be there. I stopped it as another video started – I think maybe your personal videos are included in the link.

HEAB March 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Lori,
Yes, they were. Thanks for letting me know. I fixed the link, but happy to hear you enjoyed the video. Loves those sweet babes of mine. :)

eliz@ourcrazysweetlife March 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Heab! I miss your posts! I can’t find your email – left my job and must’ve had it on that computer. Are you guys going to Northern MI this summer? Would love to finally meet you after 2 missed summers! Email me if/when you have a moment…

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Hi Elizabeth.
So excited to see your comment. We currently have no travel plans for the summer. Between the baby gear for three and two dogs, we’d literally have to rent a U-haul to go anywhere long term, and it would be a challenge to find suitable accommodations. We’ll miss being up there and not sure when we’ll get back. Enjoy some Moomers for me!

purelytwins March 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

seriously you ares so creative!!! love this idea!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I love hearing your voice! I miss you!

I haven’t done tie dye in years. I bet the kids would have fun with that! I need to do that again. The onesies are adorable!

Leonie Dawson March 2, 2013 at 2:06 am

ZOMG YOU ARE SO CUTE!!! HOLY DINGER!!!!

Your voice reminds me of Reese Witherspoon!!!

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Leonie,
Haha, thank you. :) Must be that Nashville accent you’re hearing. Reese and I are the same age and both grew up here.

Marty March 2, 2013 at 3:07 am

Love them! You’re so darn creative Heather! So simple and fun and lovely!

Alyssa March 2, 2013 at 8:45 am

So cute! Great idea and very trendy :-)

Ameena March 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Such a cute idea…love the video explanation. Non-creative people like myself need visuals.

So envious of your great skin and hair Heather! You look fantastic. :)

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Oh gosh, thanks Ameena. Been moisturizing like crazy lately. Winter leaves my skin so dry. Also been eating a lot of butter. :)

Tracy March 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Darling!! So cute and easy. Thanks for the tutorial!

I don’t have anyone to make onesies for, but I know my daughter and I would both love a cute t-shirt like yours! Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks, again, Heather!

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Tracy,
You’re welcome, and yes, anything white will work, from t-shirts to pillowcases. Have fun!

Tracy March 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Thanks, Heather! A question: have you washed any of the items yet? Did you treat them any differently to avoid the colors running in the wash? I was thinking it might be a good idea to do a separate wash with a vinegar rinse to set the colors. lmk!

HEAB March 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi Tracy,
I didn’t know a vinegar rinse would help set the colors – like dying easter eggs, huh? Good to know, and I’ll have to try that next time. For both sets of tie dyed onesies, I made sure to rinse them with cold water in the washing machine until the water ran clear after dyeing. I have washed the pink one I made for Katie a lot, and although I didn’t notice the color running in the wash, it’s definitely faded over time.

Mandy March 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Those are adorable. You are adorable. I have that same shirt (that you’re wearing underneath the adorable tied-dyed t-shirt)!

PS Cuz you have nothing else to do ;)
I nominated you for a Beautiful Mama Blog Award! http://mamamandy.com/2013/03/02/first-blog-award/

Couldn’t help it. xo

HEAB March 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hi Mandy,
Love that we have the same taste in Target thermal shirts and baby gates. :)

Christopher Hill March 2, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Hey Heather

A couple of weeks ago,
I found out that I’m going to be an uncle!!

Chris :)

HEAB March 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Chris,
Congrats, great news! You should make some tie dyed onesies for your new nephew or niece when he/she arrives!

Laurie Sayeed March 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Brings back memories from summer camp, thanks Heather!

HEAB March 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Laurie,
You’re welcome. Fun memories, huh? :)

Nicole March 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I love it. I used to tie dye everything when I was in middle/high school, but it’s even better tie dying for baby. Adorable.
BTW – it’s a girl :)

HEAB March 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Nicole,
Ahhh, so happy for you guys. Girls are so fun! Time to bust out the pink dye! Love you. :)

Christopher Hill March 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Heather!

This is my sister’s first child so — first time uncle, my parents will grandparents! It’s amazing feeling — now, I can practice being a dad! lol

Tie dye — ummmm. My sister might go for that! lol

Also, for the most part, I’m am still eating healthy but there are times where I over did it on the bad foods, but like friend says, ” Don’t focus on your failures but on your successes!” Now, that I have thought about it — yes, I probably one too many cookies yesterday, but compared on how I used to eat, it still a major improvement!

Chris :)

Alyssa March 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm

:) :) :) !!!!!!!!!!

Lara March 4, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I can’t watch the video right now because G is sleeping in bed next to me :( But you look adorable and what a cute idea! You are so clever and crafty. We love our personalized picture frame in G’s nursery…everyone comments on how sweet it is and how nice it is to have something homemade in his room :)

HEAB March 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Lara,
Oh good, I’m so glad you guys are enjoying the frame. Honestly, I could sit and make art all day. I think it will be so fun when the kids are older and we can get all crafty together. Of course, if they inherited more of CD’s genes, they’ll be outside shooting hoops instead, but I’m hoping at least one of out three will be all about arts and crafts time. :)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) March 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Aww, love the vlog and the tie-dyed onesies! Cute!

We. must. chat. soon. oh. my. goodness. gracious.

XOXO :D

Lou March 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm

LOVE!!!! Thank you so much for this, HEABie….. I’m off to buy some white tanks NOW – my little project when Misty is at kindy on Friday…. I’m so excited :) You’re a gem x

HEAB March 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Have fun Lou. Love you! :)

Jen @ Existential Evolution March 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Oh those onesies and your top are so cute. We just returned from Jamaica a few weeks ago and we tie dyed t-shirts and it was so fun (it was my first time ever)! They had 5 colors and oh boy did they know how to rubber band your t-shirt to make it extra super-duper cool. Thanks for sharing!

samantha March 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm

So great to see some posts from you! I really love the onesies, so much fun! Been trying to think of a way to do some tie dye shirts with my yogis that don’t take an inordinate amount of time and supplies. The pic of a curled up Charlie is adorable!

Interesting read on the macrobiotics post. Our schedule is so crazy that if I don’t meal plan ahead, it all falls apart. But I’ve found us lacking in veggies lately, definitely a focal point.

You look lovely, and sound so happy!

HEAB March 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks Sam – it’s good to be posting when I have the time. I do miss it, and I quickly discovered that when I quit blogging, I needed this creative space.

Hope you and your fellow yogis are tie dyeing soon and that you and your family rediscover your veggie love. We’re working on it over here. :)

Cara (Twinthusiast) March 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Love! Hippie chic. ;)

emma April 28, 2013 at 9:45 am

This is SUCH a cute (and easy) idea! I’m a new mom and I LOVE a project I can do at home that adds some sass to my little girl’s wardrobe!
I’m also a new reader and like that you promote a balanced lifestyle, refreshing.

HEAB April 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi Emma,
Glad you found me and thanks for reading. Hope your baby girl is sporting a sassy tie-dyed onesie soon. :)