New House

by HEAB on July 22, 2013

So many changes happening for our family these days.  First off, we moved (and have been without Internet for two weeks.  Oh Internet, I rely on you way too much!).  Anyway, we had outgrown our current space and fortunately found a wonderful house in a neighborhood that we love.  And that’s that.  We said goodbye to our beloved first house together as a family, packed everything up, and here we are in our new place…

My view from bed our first night after the move.  SO MANY BOXES!

With a lot of help, I spent the first few days unpacking and organizing like crazy.  Things are coming together nicely, and we are loving our house – it already feels like home.  However, after a day of hanging photos and framed prints on the walls, there was a large blank space in the living room that bothered me.  We had originally thought about putting a TV there but decided to put a smaller TV in the office instead.  Truth be told, I forbid our large tube TV from coming to the new house (it’s now at Goodwill), and we’re still debating on whether we even want a TV in the house at all.  We didn’t want it to be the focal point of the living room, and honestly, I’m more of an Internet girl myself.  We’ll see if we change our minds once football season rolls around.  Anyway, back to the blank space on the wall.  It needed something, but I had nothing large enough to fill it.  DIY time!

This is a super easy project and cost me less me than $50.  First I purchased four canvases from Michael’s.  Make sure to check out the store’s weekly online coupon deal as it ended up saving me 25% off my purchase.  I also bought the following at Home Depot…

4 cans of Rust-Oleum spray paint (colors: aqua, eden, summer squash, and colonial red) + FrogTape. I have bought the cheaper blue painter’s tape many times, and trust me, FrogTape is so much better!

Next up, I taped my canvases…

For the leaves and bird, I simply cut them out of leftover card stock I had on hand and then taped them to the canvases with FrogTape.

The next morning, I spray painted each canvas with two coats, waiting about thirty minutes between coats, and after a few hours, I pulled off the tape…

Winter & Spring

Summer & Fall

The Four Seasons

Wall space filled!  Happy Home. :)

P.S. Baby #4 is a girl!!!!

Tracy July 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Omg Heather you are SO creative! Love it. So darn cute.

Congrats on the new house! Very exciting and I’m sure you’ll welcome the much needed additional space. Now your kids will fill it up with their stuff. Just wait until they get older and you have no control over the stuff they fill your house with. I’ve warned you! haha

A GIRL :) I do love my little girl. Your family is opposite of mine. We have 3 boys, 1 girl. She’s a tough one with all her bros. Charlie and CD will have to stick together!

Good luck on the (lack of) TV. My boys would never let that fly. ESPN is always on at our house :(

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thanks Tracy. So funny our families are opposites. Like your girl, I grew up with all brothers and wouldn’t have had it any other way. Loved roughhousing and playing with them. Definitely toughened me up!

Oh gosh, and please don’t tell me they will all accumulate more stuff over the years…I was so looking forward to the day when I no longer have to step around bouncy seats, swings, and toys. Our house feels like an obstacle course these days.

Tabitha July 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

A 4th baby? I must have missed a post, Heather you are amazing, I have been reading since way back when, what a life you have built.

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Tabitha, and yep, #4 is due in November. :)

Polly July 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Peachy!!!
I randomly clicked on your blog and so happy I did! What a sweet idea and you my girl are one talented momma!! Seriously!!! Love you so much and you know we are pumped about another Demetra girl peach! Xoxo :)

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Polly, still here when I have something to say. Thanks for checking in. Love you too. :)

s. July 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

omg i love your art, and congrats on the baby & house, i totally missed all that! i just moved to a new place and i rediscovered my rice cooker, which reminded me of your old posts where you would make quinoa and other grains with it. i may have to try that soon. :)

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thanks S and still loving our rice cooker. We keep cooked brown rice in the fridge at all times. Haven’t really been using it for other grains lately – on a rice kick. So easy and versatile. Congrats on your new place too! :)

Katie July 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I LOVE SPRAY PAINT!!!!

Those are awesome pictures too. I love these little DIY projects!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Katie,
Haha, I think I read about your love of spray paint somewhere. ;)

Laurie Sayeed July 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

So exciting Heather, Congrats!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Laurie. We are excited. ;)

Lara July 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Oh Heather, congratulations! Poor Charlie will be a bit outnumbered but no doubt he will enjoy a close relationship with his many sisters :) How exciting for you all!

The new house sounds/looks wonderful, and your artsy talents never cease to impress me!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Lara, and yes, we’ll definitely have to make sure Charlie gets in plenty of play dates with other boys. We also have a pretty good supply of trucks, cars, and trains already thanks to my aversion to baby dolls. :)

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate July 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Moving is so exciting, congratulations on the new house and also on the future arrival being a girl!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Thanks so much Gina. :)

Katriel July 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm

What a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for reading Katriel. Always happy to share. ;)

purelytwins July 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Wow you’ve been busy :) Congrats on the new home! And seriously you can come and decorate our homes :)
And yay for a baby girl!!! So happy for you and your growing family!! HUGS

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thanks girls. :)

Erika @ fortheloveofpeanutbutter July 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Oh my goodness those canvas’ are the cutest!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Erika :)

lindsay July 22, 2013 at 7:39 pm

looking good! take your time unpacking. Besides, boxes make great play toys, right?

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Lindsay,
Ha – exactly, and let’s not forget the hours of fun provided by bubble wrap. ;)

Abbey Groenda July 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm

So happy for you, Heather!!! Awesome things
are happening in your life, and you are such
a good mama. Yay for baby girls!!! Xox

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Aww, thanks Abbey. Same to you! :)

Christina July 22, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Love your art and 100% support the decision NOT to have a TV. Just not sure how we’d survive without baseball and OSU football. But we’ve been debating this back and forth for a few months now. If it wasn’t for sports we would have ditched cable LONG ago….

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks Christina…but I have a feeling the TV will make an appearance come fall. Either that, or CD will be spending lots of time our friends’ houses watching the Bears play. ;)

Megan July 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Congratulations on the baby being a girl! How exciting!
I love the project! I love things that incorporate all 4 seasons! How did you come up with the idea??

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Megan,
I had seen plenty of tree art canvases on Pinterest and came up with the theme for mine during church. Ha, guess the sermon didn’t quite captivate my attention that day. Anyway, our oldest daughter loves suns, and I wanted to incorporate one into the series, and I knew I wanted to do three or four canvases to fill up the wall. So, I thought about doing something to represent all four seasons, and use the sun for summer. :)

Natalie July 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm

adorable! you are so creative!!! I don’t even know where you find the time. Congrats on baby 4, 3 girls and one protector!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Natalie. :)

Cherie July 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

So happy to hear about all the great news Heather! Exciting about the new home and another sweet baby girl!! Very cool DYI project too. Congrats and enjoy!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Cherie, we’re very excited about another girl. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Congrats on your new place! I can’t imagine moving while pregnant – with 3 little kids! My hat is off to you and I hope you’re taking it easy and not overdoing the unpacking, but I know it’s so hard when you just want things DONE, like…yesterday! :)

And congrats on a little girl for #4! Charlie is going to be outnumbered :)

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Averie,
I couldn’t really imagine it either – haha, was scared about the entire moving process but I survived. It was painful for about a week, but we’re really feeling settled and loving our new house.

Hope all is well with you – how are things going with the cookbook? I need to order one, especially after reading Katie’s review.

Sarah July 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Love you! The new house, the artwork, Baby Girl #3? Life is so sweet. Glad your in this world, friend.

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Love you too Sarah and yes, a very sweet life indeed. :)

Jen July 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Congrats on the new home and beautiful family!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Jen! :)

Heather @ fit mama real food July 22, 2013 at 11:38 pm

You are so creative! I love this idea. I may need to find a space in our house for something like this. It’s so cheerful. Congrats on anothe baby girl!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Heather and yes, try the canvas project. It really brightens up the room and didn’t take very long. Had a good time with that one.

Kerry Dyer July 23, 2013 at 1:54 am

Aww a baby girl! So sweet! That art work is such a great idea & looks so effective! :)

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Kerry. Very sweet indeed – we’re excited. :)

chilled onions July 23, 2013 at 2:05 am

Such a great idea with spray painting. And congratulations on the new house:)

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks Chilled Onions. Love me some spray paint. :)

Jonna Green July 23, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hi Heather,

Congratulations on the new house! Also congratulations on finding out about your baby girl! How exciting.

I hope you enjoy the dip recipe. I was remembering that you liked cream cheese and this addition to the recipe is so delicious!!!

Enjoy!
Jonna

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks again Jonna, just posted your recipe. The girls I made it for could not stop eating it last night. I told them the cream cheese was the secret ingredient. :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) July 23, 2013 at 8:30 am

congrats on the little girl and move! ohhhhhh i am so with you…i move in 9 days. haven’t packed a single thing yet. eeeek! my phone is going to get me through our internet-less period. i need you to help me decorate! we are very minimal over at TDP and it tends to look a bit sparse haha. in fact, we won’t have a couch for a while…we’re just so indecisive over here!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Melissa, happy to see you and Nate are feeling settled in your new place. You sound really happy. :)

Ana July 23, 2013 at 10:10 am

I absolutely love your craft! Upon seeing the taped white canvases I didn’t imagine it looking so cool as the finished product did. Heather you have a talent for crafts, I love it!!
A new house is fun, it is refreshing and new for everyone so you all can grow in it together!! Congrats on the beautiful baby girl that is coming!! Soooo lovely!! Can’t wait to hear what name you picked!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Ana, it was a fun project. We have picked our name – it’s really sweet. Can’t wait to share. November will be here before we know it!

Meagan July 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

I love that idea! Charlie is certainly going to have his hands full with all those girls :) And you’ll have some lovely days out shopping with the three of them :)

lena July 23, 2013 at 10:45 am

So glad to hear from you again!!!!
Congrats on your new home! wow! another lovely baby girl!
I love your art work! it’s beautiful and makes the room so cheery! ((:
Toast to a new home, new addition and yet another new chapter!!!
Wishing you all a house filled with loads of love, joy and laughter!
((:

Franko July 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Congrats on the new house, and especially the baby girl! I’m impressed with anyone who can handle 4 kids! My own 2 little blessings keep my quite busy, and I have no idea how I could keep up with 1 or 2 more!

Melissa July 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Congrats!!! On baby #4, the new house and a great DIY project! I think I want to try a project like that with my kids – tape and spray paint, they’ll love it! Maybe even the older ones (13 &15) would like to try it!

Kayla July 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Congrats on the house, beautiful decor & baby #4!
What a blessed life.
Definitely keeping an eye on your crafting- looking for something simple for college dorm room. Any ideas?

Errign July 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

LOVE this idea! Congrats on baby #4!

Rose July 25, 2013 at 11:43 am

My goodness! I didn’t know you were pregnant again. Congratulations! What great parents you and C are and will continue to be.

Lynn Chen July 26, 2013 at 1:18 am

CONGRATS on #4!!! Moving is so hard. My mother’s doing it now and just talking to her about it stresses me out!

Rachel July 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

LOL, every time I sign on you’re pregnant again! That’s so great!

Deadra July 27, 2013 at 1:58 am

congrats on the house! We debated about a TV too and decided that there won’t be a TV on the main floor (we moved a year ago) and instead have it in the master, we have no cable, just netflix and hulu hooked up to it. So far the kids haven’t realized that they can use the computer as a TV downstairs, but since they don’t see a TV everyday, they don’t want to watch, so nice!

Deadra July 27, 2013 at 1:58 am

Also YAY for girls! Everyone I know who’s having a late Nov. baby are having girls, me included! And I was so sure this baby was a boy!

Ameena July 28, 2013 at 3:26 am

Such a cute idea. I wish I had some artistic talent…our bare walls could use some seriously help.

I didn’t think we needed a TV either but my husband had other ideas, as I’m sure you can imagine.

Good luck with settling in Heather. Your new house looks gorgeous.

Sara July 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Wow! A girl. CD and Charlie will be very much outnumbered. Congratulations, Heather!

HEAB July 30, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thanks so much Sara – Chris suggested perhaps we could get another male dog. Haha…no!

Congrats on the birth of your little one, and I hope all is going well. :)

beth July 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm

congratulations on every front, home, pregnancy, and art work (i like both versions), where does it end? seems like ongoing energy and adventures, best wishes, may you be provided for as you provide for,
Peace and Love, beth

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Thanks so much Beth.
PS It never ends. Always an adventure happening over here. :)

Rosa July 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Congrats on everything! :) Love the arT!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Rosa. :)

Alyssa (azusmom) July 31, 2013 at 10:57 am

Congrats on the new house, it’s beautiful! (And congratulations on the fourthcoming-er-forthcoming little girl!!!!!! :) )

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thanks so much Alyssa. :)

alli July 31, 2013 at 11:47 am

i love it! i love your creative mind, your “quick and to the point” blog posts and that you have all these exciting things going on! congrats on the baby girl! i still remember how you announced summers gender on the blog :) hehe

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Alli,
Haha, long live the vajay-jay cake!!! ;)

Lucie August 1, 2013 at 6:46 am

I am a new follower to your blog and am in love – congratulations on baby number four, I hope you have a great week!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Thanks so much for Lucie. Hope you have a good week too! :)

Cara (Twinthusiast) August 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Congrats on your new house — and your news about your new little girl!

HEAB August 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Cara, we’re excited. Baby girls are so fun. :)

{ 1 trackback }