This Time Around

by HEAB on August 1, 2013

This pregnancy hasn’t been much different from my first two, although the nausea stuck around a bit longer.   I’m almost 23 weeks and finally feeling more like my old self again.  Per usual, I lost weight during my first trimester, and now I’m doing my best to gain.  Still craving lots of bagels, chicken, and ice-cream.  Not the most well-rounded diet, and so I try and throw in salads and veggies when we go out to eat.  When I’m at home, throwing something bready in the toaster is just so much easier!

Eats these days…

My go-to lunch: apple chicken sausage + Udi’s toast with avocado, hummus, tomato, salt & pepper.

The above was actually dinner not too long ago.  All I wanted was a vanilla malt Reese’s swirlie from Bobbie’s Dairy Dip.  So, that’s exactly what I ate.

Love this place!

A few weeks ago, I posted my go-to hummus dip for summertime get-togethers, and when reader Jonna left the recipe for her version in the comments, I decided to make it for our next cookout.  I’ve made it twice now, and both times, it was a huge hit.  Highly recommend it.  So good!  Thanks again Jonna.

And then, there’s my new favorite ice-cream…

Oh man, this stuff is good.  You Midwesterners really know how to make ice-cream!

Now, go make that Greek dip…I have some ice-cream to eat. :)

Meagan August 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I’m glad to hear you’re doing so well!

Greek / Mediterranean food is my new favorite!! :)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Meagan, and happy to hear you jumped on the Greek/Mediterranean food train. Enjoy the ride! :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm

love greek food! those tomatoes look absolutely perfect! oh the summer tomato…the best time to enjoy em! my grandma used to grow them and let them ripen on her windowsill…i’d go over to visit and just eat the whole fruit with some salt. i would pillage her garden constantly! poor lady ;)

glad to hear you are doing so well, i cannot imagine how difficult it must be to feel nauseated all the time while trying to grow up a mini person?! mind boggling to me still!

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Hi Melissa,
Oh goodness, don’t even get me started the on a good summer tomato. Nothing like it…especially now that all the nausea is over…forever!!!! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm

The dip AND the ice cream both look wonderful. I can imagine both go down so easily in this heat, and with general pregnancy feelings and cravings. So happy that you’re doing well :)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Averie. :)

Tracy August 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

That Greek dip sounds divine…will definitely be making soon!

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, right? Bagels, chicken and ice cream worked the first and second times so go with what works! And ice cream for dinner? That was my standard dinner with my 2nd and he turned out healthy & happy. Lots of protein, carbs and fat in it, right? Worked for me!!

Glad you’re feeling more like yourself, Heather :)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Tracy,
Thank you and yes, divine indeed. In fact, I think I should start calling it “Divine Dip” when I bring it to parties.

And yes, ice-cream equals the perfect meal in my opinion. ;)

purelytwins August 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm

so happy to hear that you are well :) and your eats look yummy!!!
we have been craving some ice cream — guess we better go get some ;)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Thanks Lori and Michelle. Hope your ice-cream cravings have been satisfied. :)

Sarah August 1, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’ve often wondered why I couldn’t be one of those pregnant women who crave veggies, but I have to force myself to eat them! My lunch today looked very similar to yours! Love avocado toast. I’m glad you are starting to feel better :)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Sarah,
I am ADDICTED to avocado toast. A friend sent me some amazing bread, and I load two huge pieces up with mashed avocado, salt, and pepper everyday. Will be so sad when my two loaves are all gone. Must find more vehicles for avocado!!!
PS Veggies are overrated. ;)

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy August 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Gosh, I feel like our lives are way too similar! I am 11 weeks pregnant and we also just moved! Things have been crazy and hectic to say the least! We finally just got our TV and DVR player hooked up! It’s funny that you mention you have been craving bagels, because I have been craving toasted bread a lot! Your Greek dip looks wonderful, in fact I’ll be making it this weekend!

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Melissa,
Good to know someone else is along on the same journey. Moving is hard work, especially when pregnant. Trust me, I understand the “crazy and hectic” all too well. Hope you’re feeling well and getting all settled in your new place. Now go put your feet up and watch some TV! Hopefully, you’ve DVR’d something good. :)

Julie August 2, 2013 at 12:51 am

Heather! I miss hearing about your life! Great to see that you are doing well. At our house, every day is an ice cream day so you would like it over here.
Best,
Julie

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hi Julie,
Thanks for missing me – always nice to be missed…and I think I need to come visit your house. Sounds like my kind of place. :)

Chilled Onions August 2, 2013 at 1:57 am

enjoy the ice-cream:)

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Oh trust me, I did. :)

amelia August 2, 2013 at 6:02 am

Mmmm….I pretty much love this whole post. Good food, yummy recipe, and ice cream. I grew up eating Graeters black rasp chip in a waffle cone. Now I usually buy a pint then add a scoop of Jenis dark chocolate on top.
Oh man, so rich and delicious! Glad this pregnancy is going well. Your little ones are cuties!

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Amelia,
Graeters topped with Jeni’s? Um yeah, we’d be good friends. :)

lindsay August 2, 2013 at 6:30 am

your eats look like mine, but i’m not pregnant. Greek goddess this is GOOD! I am still waiting on those darn GF pita chips but i think I’ll make my own in the meantime and devour this. Glad you are feeling better.

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Lindsay,
Haha, I often wonder if you’re pregnant when I see your meals on Instagram…but then again, I think the same thing about your husband’s combos as well. ;)

Hurry up Udi – I’m curious to hear what you think about the pita chips!

Gloria DeRusso August 2, 2013 at 8:39 am

What brand of chicken apple sausage do you prefer?

HEAB August 3, 2013 at 7:04 am

Hi Gloria,
We usually buy Aidells’ brand from Costco: http://www.aidells.com/. Samples lure me in every time! ;)

Gloria DeRusso August 4, 2013 at 6:07 am

Me too! Thank you!

Krissy August 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm

You eat incredibly well to me. I’m older than you I think (early 30) and a bit of an emotional-eater disaster. Not pregnant and not an exerciser (walking?). And you know those “bakers unsweetened dark chocolate squares”? Well I eat 1-2 ounces per day (yes at least an ounce of chocolate..often at 11 pm) every. single. night. I know its not right, help ! Seriously though I’ve no control, it controls me!

Those pints of coconut milk ice cream look so good to me. But I fear buying because I know I’ll eat the entire 500 gram pint. I want to believe that would be okay, but….

I think I need to get back to simple basic eating. If you’ve any experience, please email me. Boy, with my habits, I sure wish I were pregnant!

HEAB August 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hi Krissy,
Sounds like they’re are some underlying emotional issues for you when it comes to food & eating. I would really recommend speaking to your doctor or a good nutritional counselor. I’m afraid I can’t offer much help from the comment section of my blog – wish I could. I know it’s hard.

TJ August 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Hi, Love your site!! Thanks for the posts; glad you’re feeling better :-)

I’m a mess. I’ve been trying to give up sugar, and my diet seems to be worsening, not getting better. I KNOW I need plenty of water, but I HATE water, and I really prefer drinks with something sweet in them (stevia, truvia, maple/date/organic sugar, agave, maple syrup) — I feel captive, angry, and frustrated. Help?

Also, I’m living overseas right now, so that doesn’t help matters (limited grocery shopping options, etc.), but one of the places we’re considering moving to when we return Stateside is Nashville. What can you share with me about the ‘workout scene’? Or, can you point me toward a facility, blog, or group?

Many, many thanks.

Tj

HEAB August 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hi TJ,
So fun you guys are thinking about Nashville. I go through my phases where I think plain jane water is so boring, but I promise it does get easier to drink nothing but water. When I’m not feeling the water, it really helps me to drink it ice-cold. I’ll keep a bottle of water in the fridge and sip on that throughout the day. The cravings for sweet drinks really will subside. I promise – just try using less and less sweetener and pretty soon, you’ll wonder how you ever drank such sweet drinks. Trust me, this is coming from a 4 Splenda venti iced coffee girl. Blech. The thought of drinking that now makes me ill.

Anyway, about workout facilities here. I can’t say enough great things about our YMCA’s. Here is the website: http://ymcamidtn.org/. The facilities are all really nice, offer great classes, child care, pools, etc. You can opt for a city-wide pass or just pay to join the Y nearest you. We have a few independent & some crossfit gyms, but I’ve always been a Y or yoga studio kind of girl. Let me know if you have any other questions. Here is my Nashville recommendations page (which is in need of an update FYI):http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/faq/nashville-advice/. Thanks for reading and good luck with the sugar cravings. You’ll get past them – just be patient with yourself.

Wanda August 9, 2013 at 5:49 am

Hi, Heather!
I really like your blog! I found it when I was searching for a good almond butter recipe to go with a cake recipe I was posting in my blog.
I liked the way you explained the process and the photos so I allowed myself to put a link toward your blog, hope you don’t mind!

HEAB August 9, 2013 at 6:51 am

Totally don’t mind Wanda. Thanks for spreading the almond butter love. :)

Jen @ Existential Evolution August 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Congrats congrats congrats! Wow you are creating such a beautiful family journey! Best to you all as you shift into a new home and new baby!

P.S. Just made a triple batch of oaties for an upcoming get together! The hubby was nibbling like crazy on the “dough” before we even refrigerated the batter!!!

HEAB August 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Jen,
Thanks so much, and just so you know, I read your comment on my phone this past weekend while baking a triple batch of my lactation oaties for some new moms…and I could not keep CD out of the batter. What is up with husbands and cookie dough?!? Too funny!

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 17, 2013 at 8:22 am

Hi Heather! You might remember me as Alex @ Raw Recovery (I started a new blog hence the new name). Wow baby #4!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy and lots of wonderful memories!

HEAB September 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hi Alex, yes, of course I remember you. Congrats on the new blog, and I hope you’re doing well. Good to hear from you…and you should totally try rice kripies treats with almond butter. Good stuff! :)

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

Aw thank you so much Heather! Yes I can’t wait to try the rice krispies with almond butter! They are on my to-do list this weekend! Have a wonderful weekend!

{ 1 trackback }