Sandwich Convert

by HEAB on August 17, 2013

I haven’t been much of a sandwich girl since I stopped bringing my lunch to school many years ago.  When I lost weight, I began making more elaborate lunches – usually big salads, roasted veggies, potatoes, some form of protein, etc.  Long gone were the days of a simple PB & J or grilled cheese.  Not that I have anything against sandwiches – they just never keep me full for very long.  Truth be told, there is nothing like the classic peanut butter jelly in my opinion.  So good, but I definitely need to pair it it with a bigger meal to feel satiated.  Guess that’s what chips are for, right?

Anyway, I’ve been loving on a sandwich lately that it is actually quite filling, and I wanted to share.  For now, I need quick meals that take little to no time to make, and if I can hold it in one hand while chasing around 3 toddlers, then it’s a winner.  Since nap time for all the kids has shifted to later in the afternoon, I’m often hungry before they all enter into a quiet slumber…read it’s 12 noon, Summer is demanding to play the Mr. Potato Head app on my phone, Charlie is splashing around in the dog’s water bowl, and Katie is somewhere…oh my gosh, WHERE IS KATIE?!?  Anyway, let’s just say I have a new appreciation for the Earl of Sandwich and his brilliant creation.

First off, you need two slices of the best bread ever…

I heard about the goodness of Dave’s Killer Bread several years ago, but sadly, it’s not available in Nashville.  Thankfully, my friend Melissa was kind enough to send me two loaves, and it really is some of the best bread I’ve ever tasted.  I will be so sad when it’s all gone.  Dave, please come to the Southeast!

Oh wait, we must back up a bit.  I forgot – FIRST, you need to make this basil-walnut pesto.

My mom gave us a potted herb garden as a housewarming gift.  So thoughtful – thanks again mom.  I’ve been watering, and nothing has died yet.  A miracle as I kill all plants.

So, you take two pieces of Dave’s and toast them.  Add a slice of provolone to one piece and broil or microwave just until cheese melts.  Spread your pesto and half a mashed avocado on the other slice.  Salt, pepper, and slap together.

I’m pretty sure a homegrown summer tomato would bring this sandwich to a whole new level, but that would involve me planting and keeping tomato plants alive.  So, I skipped that step.

What’s your favorite summer sandwich?

robyn jones clark August 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm

so funny, that’s one of my go to sandwiches. Avacado, Provolone, and a tomato… sometimes I throw in some bacon..

Can’t go wrong with pbj or grilled cheese either…

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

RJC
And you can NEVER go wrong with bacon! Good call. :)

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine August 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I love making hummus sandwiches. I take two small GF corn tortillas, spread each with hummus, then add loads of spinach and other leafy greens in between!

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Mmm, I love hummus, but I prefer it on fried corn tortillas. So good with chips! Should try your version instead. :)

s August 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

i sometimes make brown rice wrap “quesadillas” with half an avocado and a string cheese. pesto and/or tomatoes would probably make them even better though. my all-time favorite sandwich is actually also a wrap filled with 1 slice of cheese (melted), spring mix, trader joe’s vegetarian meatballs, and honey mustard dressing. sometimes i add quinoa to make it more filling.

in terms of regular square-bread sandwiches, almond butter and cheese was my favorite for a while. then hot pepper jelly and egg. i guess i just really like unusual sandwiches.

anyway, that was my essay-like opinion on sandwiches. i think i should probably not read your blog while hungry. :)

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

S, now those are some combos I can get behind! My favorite jelly is Robert Rothschild hot pepper raspberry preserves. Yum yum yum and soooo good plopped atop eggs and roasted potatoes. I will have to try your meatball wrap – that sounds right up my alley and gives me an excuse to go to Trader Joe’s. :)

lindsay August 18, 2013 at 6:36 am

i’m in totally gluten envy. Sounds perfect with that bread! Do you ever fry PB and Banana sandwiches? or PB & Jelly? It’s heavenly. Like making a grilled cheese, it’s melts together and all.

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Lindsay, thank goodness for Udi’s, no? I love that the Costco slices are bigger. Their regular loaves were sliced so tiny. All about the big bread over here. :)

And yes, I have had a grilled PB & J/banana but always forget about making it that way. Thanks for the reminder. Now if I only I wasn’t out of marmite. :(

Pdub August 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Are the udi’s bread sold at Costco bigger? One gripe I have with gf bread is the slices are so small!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Pdub,
YES, the Udi’s bread at Costco comes in bigger slices. According to the package, two slices = 78 grams. Udi’s from regular grocery is 49 grams per two slices.

Kate August 18, 2013 at 8:19 am

My go-to summer sammy is: tomato, basil, feta, drizzle of olive oil, on a chewy, porous bread. SO GOOD. I will definitely be trying yours out — sounds delish!

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hi Kate, and I will definitely be trying yours. Must get my hands on some fresh tomatoes and feta!

Emily Smallcomb August 18, 2013 at 8:47 am

Heehee :) :) I’ve kept my aloe plant alive for two months now.. maybe next year I will try some tomatoes! The sandwich looks yummy. My favorite right now is a toasted gluten free bread with crunch almond butter.

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Emily,
Great – I expect some tomatoes when you visit next summer! I’ll have the pesto all ready. :)

Lara August 18, 2013 at 10:12 am

Ha! G is fascinated by the dogs’ water bowl, too. Is it a boy thing? I usually keep it on the counter now and try to sneak it down when he’s distracted with an activity or sleeping. But the second he hears it hit the floor, he races over! Stinker!

Thanks for the pesto link. This sounds so good. My favorite sandwich lately is just Dave’s with hummus, carrots (I buy pre-shredded), red onion, cucumber, avocado, and a lot of salt and pepper. So good. And for some reason I got into eating it with a packet of Fritos. I’m weird.

I usually eat it while G naps! What time do the kids nap, out of curiosity? G can’t really make it later than 11:30 or noon at the latest.

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Lara,
YES, Summer never got into the water bowl, although she now thinks it’s a fun game to play with Charlie – “let’s flood the laundry room”. Poor pups – they now only usually have access to water when the babies are asleep.

C & K are still taking two naps a day. They usually sleep from 9 to 11 or 11:30 and then go back down between 1 & 2. Summer also goes down between 1 to 2. Wish I could make it that long until lunch but most days, I’m so hungry before nap time. That being said, sometimes I just need a quiet lunch alone – ahh, so wonderful when the stars align and that actually happens!

PS – Nothing weird about Fritos. LOVE them. :)

Abby August 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Ugh. That bread! Such a tease, as we can’t get it over here.

Anyway, sandwiches. I have two that are my go-tos and pretty basic, yet delicious. Toast Ezekiel bread and add sunflower butter and a banana roasted on a pan on the stove. The second one is just one whole mashed up avocado smashed on toasted Ezekiel bread with either hummus or pesto, etc.

So easy. So good!

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Abby,
I know. You can order Dave’s online, but it’s too pricey. Will just have to find a good substitute until Dave makes his way east of the Mississippi.

I’ve grilled PB + banana before but never roasted on the stove-top. Gotta try that!

Tracy August 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I have to admit I’ve never outgrown a good old PBJ. Hands down my favorite sandwich of all time. I just seem to switch up types of nut butter/jam to mix it up. Although a broiled grilled cheese is pretty good, too, especially with the addition of some spicy japs and avocado. Your creation looks really tasty!

I’ve always read about Dave’s bread but have never seen it here in Kansas City. A good hearty bread definitely lifts a sammie to a whole new level!

Take care, Heather! Have a great Sunday :)

HEAB August 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Tracy,
We would be good sandwich buds. We could split and each have 1/2 PB & J and half cheese/avocado. Perfect. :)

Kerry August 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Ooo I love a good sandwich! X

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Kerry,
Me too! :)

Catherine August 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Mmmm, sandwiches. Right now we are doing a gluten-free trial period so of course I am thinking of them all the time! My favorites are:

Open-faced tomato, avocado and sharp cheddar cheese, broiled until the cheese is bubbly and a little brown. Top with cracked pepper.

Or for a more portable option, simple hummus and tomato is amazing, especially if you can get some home-grown tomatoes!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Catherine,
Must get cheddar and home-grown tomatoes. Must broil and eat with avocado. Thank you. :)

Catherine August 20, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The home-grown tomatoes really are key–I am soooooo happy that we finally managed to grow some successfully this year!

Purelytwins August 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

lately we have been loving avocado sandwich between plantain bread ;) sometimes we throw in figs!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Lori and Michelle,
Plantain bread?!? I’m intrigued…

Purely Twins August 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm

you would love it – here is the link to the recipe – http://purelytwins.com/2013/07/16/plantains-gluten-free-bread/

Christopher Hill August 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Heather,

I LOVE Dave’s Killer Bread! A plus for me for living in Oregon. =)
It goes really well with peanut butter and jelly!

Chris

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Chris,
BIG plus!!! Enjoy a PB & J on Dave’s for me. :)

Alyssa August 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm

That sandwich sounds amazing! Since going GF, I have certainly missed the days of easy sandwiches for lunch :-( My favorite sandwich is probably a pear, brie and mango chutney sandwich with some prosciutto for saltiness. I also love the standard caprese sandwich with the above pesto you mentioned. Geesh, I can’t believe how life changes…you’ll be a mom of 4 in no time!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Alyssa,
I know – I can’t quite believe it either. Do you live near a Costco? Just found Udi’s gluten free bread at mine…makes a great vehicle for pesto. ;)

Ameena August 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’m not too much of a sandwich person either! But I do love the tartines at Le Pain Quotidien. Somehow they seem more manageable?

Must try Dave’s Killer Bread…I’ve never heard of it until now.

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Ameena,
How about we take a tartine tour of NYC…and maybe stop by Maison Kayser for a cookie? :)

Karen August 19, 2013 at 12:29 am

I’ve been off bread since I’m kinda fluffier than I need to be. I wish Dave would make a good gluten free bread. Most are just fluff…or don’t hold up. I was gifted a package of the new Paleo wraps from Julian’s (?) that are coconut. I plan on trying them out with a variety of rollups but your sandwich idea made me think of using Daiya (pseudo cheese) and avocado and maybe some cucumber for crunch…. I also have some pulled pork in the freezer (with bbq sauce) that I think I’ll try. I hadn’t thought of melting the cheese till I read your post, so thanks! I’ll have to add some salad crunch to the pulled pork. Can’t wait till things settle down here a little (Ha!) so I can try them!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Karen,
I keep hearing about paleo bread but never tried any myself. Definitely go with the pulled pork. I would add mustard and pickles for crunch. Would be even more amazing with a spoonful or two of coleslaw…and now I want BBQ! ;)

Karen August 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I’m thinking pulled pork and coleslaw…. It’s a great (and crunchy) combination. I’m not a fan of the paleo bread….I’ve tasted more flavorful cardboard…ok not, but it wasn’t impressive. I’m hoping the wraps will be better. So much for things slowing down….payroll is done for the month but a good friend just landed in the hospital and it’s looking kinda dicey at the moment. The wraps have a long shelf life and don’t need refrigerated so that’s good. I’ll wait till I can relax and enjoy them.

HEAB August 21, 2013 at 6:54 am

Oh no, sorry to hear about your friend Karen, and I hope life slows down for you soon and good to know about Elana’s bread recipes. Thanks – never met an Elana recipe I didn’t like!

Karen August 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Oh, Re: Paleo bread….I love Elana’s recipes at Elanaspantry.com. She has a couple good paleo bread recipes.

Dominique @ That's What Domi Said August 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Oh heavens, that looks fabulous. I can imagine that slapping a few tomato slices and/or an over-easy egg in there would be delightful, too!

Like you, I’m not much of a sandwich girl because they usually do nothing to satiate my appetite, but I do love a good lettuce wrap. When you have romaine or butter lettuce leaves washed and ready to go, and some curry chicken salad already made and chilled, it’s a quick, TASTY, and filling lunch. :)

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Dominique,
I like your style. Curry chicken salad is so good – especially when it contains raisins, and butter lettuce is the perfect vehicle to get it into my mouth! :)

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy August 20, 2013 at 12:36 am

Your sandwich looks SO good! With this pregnancy, I have been craving fancy sandwiches and wraps and I can’t seem to get enough of them! My favorite Summer sandwich (really a wrap using P28 Foods flatbread) is spread with a little ricotta mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper and topped with cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, spinach and our local Italian pickled wax peppers. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!

By the way, I made the Greek dip a couple of weeks ago and it was a BIG hit! I like it better than regular seven layer dip. I made it again for my son’s party this past weekend and everyone devoured it in a matter of minutes!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Melissa,
Why have I never put ricotta on a sandwich?!? You’re making MY mouth water. ;)

Need to remedy that soon, and again, so happy to hear you guys love the Greek dip!

Amanda August 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hm. Tough question. I’d probably say a simple grilled aged cheddar and onion sandwich is what I’m into right now.

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Amanda,
Simple is best. Grilled cheddar and onion – Mmmm. Love melty cheese and sweet onions. :)

Laurie Sayeed August 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Love the nursery Heather! We’ve enjoyed this bread company lately: http://www.thebreadbarn.com/

They even have gluten free products (who doesn’t these days). I gotta try your sandwich recipe, it looks great! :)

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Laurie,
Never heard of The Bread Barn – oh my gosh, they have so many gluten free options. Would love to try the Irish Soda, sourdough, and raisin walnut…and might as well throw in a cinnamon roll and brownie while I’m at it. ;)
Thanks for the link!

Pdub August 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Your sandwich creation sounds really good! I’ll have to try it. I recently discovered rudis gluten free tortilla and it’s so much better than the brown rice tortilla from food for life! So last week for lunch I spreaded a wedge of spreadable Brie from trader joes on the tortilla, added ham, 1/4 avocado, bread and butter pickles, handful of cilantro and baby kale. My gosh so good!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Hi Pdub,
I’ve never had the Rudi’s tortilla, but I’ll be on the lookout for them as I love a good wrap. Your combo sounds pretty much perfect. :)

Erika @ fortheloveofpeanutbutter August 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Gahhh I love Daves! I’m one lucky girl to live in Oregon, and I might just have to stay here forever simply for DKB ;) I actually just had a sandwich today with some Daves! I love grilled sandwiches with just meat and cheese, so I usually pair it with veggies rather than putting them on. However, I do love veggie filled sandwiches, but sometimes I just need some good ole’ meat, cheese, and bread :)

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Erika,
You simply CANNOT go wrong with grilled meat and cheese…especially when it’s on Dave’s bread. No veggies necessary. :)

Katie August 20, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I’ve been CRAVING sandwiches this pregnancy…cannot get enough. Sometimes I eat a turkey sandwich for breakfast. With lots of pickles.

And I just started seeing Dave’s Killer Bread in our grocery stores, too. I love it!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Katie – me too!!! Love my carbs in sandwich form this time around, and so excited to hear Dave’s is now available in Denver. All the more reason for us to move there! :)

Jill August 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I’m really weird about sandwiches – I seriously don’t think I’ve made any for myself in a few years! Well, except for the occasional fried egg sandwich on the asiago bagels from Panera. I guess I’m with in that I don’t find them that filling unless they are enormous and I eat them wayyy too fast if I take them to work. That said, I’ll happily order one that looks good at a restaurant or eat one if someone makes it for me.

That bread looks awesome – nice to see a loaf that still looks delicious while being healthy. I absolutely love the Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread – tastes sooo delicious when it is toasted (and I actually do think it would make an awesome PB sandwich)!

HEAB August 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Jill, the Ezekiel raisin bread does make an awesome PB & J or PB & banana. Used to make them and then toast in toaster oven. Would be even better grilled. Mmm, melted PB & warm gooey banana. You can’t go wrong! :)

Melissa @TryingtoHeal August 23, 2013 at 1:58 pm

So glad you enjoyed that bread! There are several other varieties if you want to try some more, I’ll send some when I get my hands on them next month!!! I just finished off a loaf of the PowerSeed and man, I can’t wait to get more. Sooooo delicious!

HEAB August 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Melissa,
Dave will forever hold a special place in my heart. :) I have a friend who lives in Seattle that’s going to send me some of his bread after her next trip to Costco. So, no worries, I’ve found my Dave’s hook-up, but thanks for the offer to send more. You’re so sweet. Plus, I looked at his site, and I can order it online if I get desperate for some a PowerSeed fix!

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped August 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I LOVE basil pesto on sandwiches! p.s. I’m in Nashville as well! I’d be great to cross paths sometime :)

HEAB August 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Hi McKel,
So fun you’re in Nashville! Perhaps our paths will cross over a pesto sandwich one day soon. I just checked out your blog – cinnamon tahini protein smoothie? Happiness in a glass. :)

You have beautiful photos and recipes.

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped August 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Thank you for those sweet comments about my blog, I appreciate it! If you’re ever out and about or want to meet up I’d love to, feel free to email me!

Best,
McKel

HEAB August 23, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Thanks McKel, and you do the same. :)

Mary Ann August 29, 2013 at 1:33 am

Dave’s really is the best! I love going to their bakery store and buying day old bread at a discount…I know, and as if that isn’t good enough? Well it’s right across the street from Bob’s Red Mill! mmmmm

{ 1 trackback }