Today I Made

by HEAB on August 23, 2013

I always enjoy reading about what Katie made today, especially her DIY projects and cute skirts.  She also bakes cookies…a lot of cookies, and after bookmarking several of her recipes, I finally got around to making a batch.  Um, definitly waited way too long to try your cookies, Katie.

Vanilla Almond Butter Spiced Cookies

Katie’s maple cardamom tahini cookies were my cookies of choice…but I was without both tahini and maple extract.  Therefore, I subbed almond butter for the tahini and used vanilla extract.  Oh, and I also doubled the oat flour and halved the sweetener as I like my cookies a little more oaty and little less sweet.  So, although I didn’t follow Katie’s exact recipe, these turned out sooooo good.

Crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, and I love the hints of cardamom.  Definitely some of the best tasting (& easiest) gluten free baked goods I’ve made.  Plus, I love that you can make them sugar free.  Thanks Katie – these will be made often!

Today, I also made a chickpea cucumber salad.  My MIL sent me the recipe (see below), and it made for a lovely light summer lunch…which I balanced out with a very heavy bagel + mashed avocado.  Perfect.

So yeah, I stayed busy during nap time.  It’s nice to enjoy spending time in the kitchen once again.  Laundry didn’t get done, but the cookie jar is full.

Other things made in the HEAB household this week…

A weather wheel made from leftover paint color samples.  Summer loves talking about the weather every morning and deciding where to put the pin.

The above was yesterday’s lunch.  Hehe, sweet tooth got the best of me.  We made a batch of these sweet potato brownies for a friend, and I had to taste test a few.  Not sure why it’s called a “brownie” mix as there is zero chocolate flavor – more of a cinnamon vanilla.  Anyway, they were delicious. I frosted them with my go-to cream cheese frosting and ate them with strawberry ice-cream and whipped cream.  Sweet tooth satisfied.  Ha, a little too much.  Didn’t think I’d be up for cookies today…but I was.

We painted some reclaimed wood to add a little more sunshine to our craft corner…

This was a fun and easy project – just painted an old piece of wood I used to use as a background for photos with acrylic paint, sanded it with sandpaper, and then applied a brown glaze and wiped off with a wet lint free cloth.  I would love to do more paintings like this – just need to find some more wood.

I did not make this skirt, but I love wearing it…

Skirt and 26-week bump

It’s one of Emily Falconbridge’s upcycled teeskirts, the second one I’ve purchased.  Em really makes me want to learn how to sew and make my own clothes.

Close up of the patch…

What have you made this week?  Anyone made anything special for you?  Do you know how to sew?

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I love your skirt and 26w bump. You look wonderful :)

And Katie has the most creative cookies – love all her blends. And that you subbed in Almond Butter for Tahini and Vanilla too — bet your house smelled amazing when they were baking!

HEAB August 24, 2013 at 8:10 am

Averie,
Thank you, and I know – I’ve been eyeing Katie’s cookies for so long, ever since her old blog. I was always intrigued by how chewy they look. As you know, gluten free cookies are really easy to screw up. Most of mine have come out flat as a pancake. Not Katie’s. Girl’s got the gluten free thing all figured out. :)

purelytwins August 24, 2013 at 6:05 am

baby bump — Love!!
and those cookies sound heavenly your version and katie’s :)

HEAB August 24, 2013 at 8:08 am

Lori and Michelle,
They were heavenly. :)
Bought a plantain a couple of days ago and looking forward to trying your bread!

lindsay August 24, 2013 at 6:33 am

I’ve been meaning to make these. sheesh, i’ll just come for a visit instead. Got any leftover?
;-)

p.s. are those udis bagels?

HEAB August 24, 2013 at 8:07 am

Lindsay,
come on over! I do have some leftover cookies, but I guarantee they will not last long. And nope, those aren’t Udi’s bagels. Never tried a gluten free bagel – so pricey! Those are Costco bagels. :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 24, 2013 at 7:54 am

i love this post! those cookies sound like a great adaptation :) hey, is the sweet potato brownie mix kinda well sweet? i was thinking about picking some up and didn’t know if i should downsize the amount of sugar in a recipe bc of that.

HEAB August 24, 2013 at 8:06 am

Melissa,
I would highly recommend that mix! It comes with sugar already in it, and so you can’t control the amount. However, they weren’t overwhelmingly sweet, and I’m pretty sensitive to that kind of thing. I prefer my baked goods less sweet. Of course, I coated them with cream cheese frosting, but I make that heavy on the butter and cream cheese and light on the sugar.

My MIL picked up the mix for me at a Farmer’s Mkt in Arizona, and I’m hoping she’ll bring more next time she visits. ;)

Kinsey August 24, 2013 at 8:33 am

I love both sweet potatoes and brownies, so I’m thinking that I have to try that recipe out! Thank you so much for sharing them. I just may have to top them with some coconut whipped cream and homemade salted caramel sauce…

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Kinsey,
I like the way you think. Enjoy! :)

Missy August 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Katie made me two batches of her cookies! They are unbelievable!

Katie August 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm

*blush*

Katie August 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’m so glad that you made them! I think most people are intimidated whenever they read my recipes because of both the coconut flour and the erythritol, but I swear – those two combined can do no wrong!

That skirt is great! It looks like something I would want to live in. I could make that…. :D

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Katie,
Yeah, you could so make that skirt. Seems fairly simple – I totally need to learn how to sew!

Loved the cookies. Making more tomorrow. Not sure which flavor though. Your PB & J maybe. :)

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Those cookies sound delicious! I have a recipe for cardamom-walnut cookies that I love, but I may have to try these soon too!

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Catherine,
I am going through a cardamom phase and putting it on and in everything. So good in my morning cup of coffee! Cardamom-walnut cookies sound right up my alley these days. :)

Alisa August 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

Aw, love the baby bump!

You are as crafty as Katie! And her cookies are da bomb :)

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Hi Alisa,
Yeah, never met a Katie cookie recipe that didn’t look delicious. Hope you guys are enjoying your workouts. Know that I’m cheering you on…while eating lots of cookies. ;)

Alisa September 5, 2013 at 11:04 am

Still eating cookies myself! We may start on Monday :)

Ana August 25, 2013 at 11:07 am

Love the skirt, the cookies, and the avocado on a bagel, made me hungry!!
Your version of the cookies sounds like something I would love so I think I will try making it this week Heather! Looks delicious and oaty just the way I crave my cookies and snacks to be :)
Your bump is cute, you look amazing as always!!
Much love,

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Ana,
I know you love your oaty flavor, and I think you would really enjoy Katie’s cookies. Oh, and I stopped by Trader Joe’s today to pick up a few items and place an order for almond butter, and lo and behold, they’d gotten in a shipment that morning. So, I stocked up. Good think too b/c they were already almost sold out, and it was still pretty early. So excited! :)

Ana September 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hey Heather!
Yay, I am so glad you got the AB! I know how happy I am when I get my trader joe’s creamy AB, so I am very very happy for you!!
I finished my second jar and will stop by this week to put on another order and hope I can get it before I run out, haha!
I will try the cookies sometime for sure!

Tracy August 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Your 26week bump looks darn cute in that skirt! I need to check those out!

You have been very busy, Heather! I’m thinking 2nd trimester energy is in full force, yes??

Can’t wait to make the chickpea salad…right up my alley!

I have not made a darn thing this week. We are SO busy with high school starting for all 4 of my kids…UGGH! Football, cross country, debate…when will school be out? It might be a long year? Actually it will probably go by WAY too fast as I cannot believe my senior will be leaving for college this time next year. GULP :( Definitely not mentally prepared for that stage…

Anyway, happy Sunday, Heather! Your bright projects and recipes have made mine :)

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hi Tracy,
Yes, totally check out Em’s skirts. I love them – so cute and comfy. I’m feeling pretty good – definitely more energy than a few months ago, but this pregnancy hasn’t felt as great as my first two. I think my body is done producing babies. ;)

High-school. I cannot even imagine. Ha, I can’t think much beyond potty training at this point, and I don’t think I’ll ever be ready for Summer to go to college. Already makes me sad thinking about her going off to Kindergarten!

Sarah August 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

The weather wheel is such a fun idea. I love that it’s cheap and adorable, too:-).

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Sarah – it was a fun project. :)

maggie @ say yes to salad August 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm

cute bump :) :)

i am going to have to try those cookies – with your mods of course! more oaty and less sweet always.

trying to think if i’ve made anything this week… i made a delicious gluten-free “muffin bread” (was making muffins… and then remembered that i don’t know where my muffin tin is – so bread pan it was). and an awesome kale-pesto potato salad.

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Maggie,
That kale-pesto potato salad sounds delicious. I made a kale recipe not too long ago, but it turned out a little too “kaley” for my taste. I think next time, I’d do half basil and then stir it all together with steamed red potatoes. Love the idea of using it as a potato salad dressing. Yum. :)

Callie and Janet August 27, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Yum, the cookies look great. Maybe this go-round you can have neighbors to take them to! Try being a neighbor and not just living in the neighborhood this time and your results might be better. Worrying about where folks park their cars and micromanaging other aspects of neighborhood life isn’t fun for anybody involved and can be quite isolating— just a bit of unsolicited advice, but worth at least some consideration and self-reflection.

Kathy September 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Self-reflection and critical introspection are always a good idea. Sometimes, however, that only comes to folks in time. Agree the cookies look fantastic.

Ameena August 30, 2013 at 3:37 am

Let’s see, what did I make? This week nothing. Last week nothing. The week before I think I boiled some pasta. LOL

Everything is too cute, love the weather art. And the cookies look amazing!

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Ameena,
You’ve been in London. Why would you be making anything? All I’d be doing is walking around eating delicious scones and Italian food and NOT playing cards on the train. ;)

elise September 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm

youre so cute and crafty. note to self: do this.
those cookies look awesome. i think ill do a tahini and almond butter mix. or maybe cashew butter. i bought cardamom a million years ago for something and should probably use it more.

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hi Elise,
You should totally add some cardamom to your next batch of cookies. I love that spice. It’s also great in coffee. Just a little sprinkle. Been adding it every morning to my mug – makes me happy. :)

Jen September 1, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Amazing, Heather! I made potato and corn empanadas with homemade pie dough for a crowd this week – a real treat. The brownie link isn’t working for me, but it sounds like a wonderful fall recipe!

HEAB September 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hi Jen! Sorry about the link and thanks for the heads up. The brownies (blondies) are actually from a mix, which you can find here: http://mamarosefoods.com/products.php?product=Sweet-Potato-Brownie-Mix. My MIL brought me a bag from her local farmer’s market in Arizona. So good, and I think they’d make a wonderful finale to your potato and corn empanadas. YUM!

Jen September 1, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Ah, a mix! Good idea as an empanada ender. Ordering now! :)

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped September 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm

That’s so cute! I love DIY projects, my home is full of them, but wood work and refurbishing. I’ve always wanted to learn to sew and admire those who can!

HEAB September 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

McKel,
How fun you do your own wood work and refurbishing. I would love to do more DIY projects around the house rather than just crafts. Always so much to learn! :)

{ 1 trackback }