Easy Grain Free Breads & My Favorite Gluten Free Pizza Crust

by HEAB on September 4, 2013

I eat both grains and gluten (Dave will always hold a special place in my heart), but I enjoy experimenting with gluten free products and grain free baking.  And when I come across a good recipe, I love to share as I know many of you out there avoid gluten.  So, here’s what we’ve been enjoying in our kitchen lately…

Purely Twins Plantain Bread

Michelle and Lori’s recipe could not be more easy, and it was delicious.  I made it for breakfast and smeared peanut butter on one slice and whipped cream cheese on another.  The remaining two pieces received a sprinkling of cinnamon, and those were my favorite.  The bread was moist and kind of sweet.  Not sure how I’d feel about using this bread for a more savory type sandwich, but it made a wonderful sweet breakfast bread – you know, the kind of recipe that makes you want to invite all your girlfriends over for brunch.  Yeah, that needs to happen soon, and I’m thinking lemon blueberry plantain bread.  Yum!

Now we all know I love Katie’s cookies, and so when she told me about her coconut flour crepes, I was pretty sure I’d love those as well…I did.

Had a bit of trouble flipping the first one.

I was in the mood for both savory and sweet and topped one crepe with mashed avocado, feta, and S & P, and the other with almond butter and strawberry preserves.  Easy, tasty, and so versatile when it comes to topping choices.  Katie, thanks for sharing.  This is a great recipe for weekend pancake breakfasts!

That’s it for my grain free cooking experiments as of late, but I also wanted to share this delicious gluten free pizza crust with you.

Meagen recommended the Namaste brand gluten free pizza crust mix to me months ago, and I finally got around to trying it.  For some reason, homemade pizza crusts, even those from a mix have always imtimidated me, but this crust was really simple.  It came out thin and crispy, and the Italian herb flavor was perfect.  We used the entire bag to make two good sized pizzas and topped them with Newman’s Own Sockarooni Sauce (makes an excellent pizza sauce!), walnut pesto, and shredded mozzarella.  And according the two year old, our pesto pee-zah was so good!  In fact, we liked it so much, that we ordered more Namaste mix in bulk from Amazon.  Homemade pizza night will be happening often around here, and I could not be more excited – such a fun way to spend the evening with CD and the kids.

I hear the babes stirring, and nap time appears to have come to an end.  Hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we did!

purelytwins September 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm

yum yum!
yay for plantain bread ;) so glad you were able to make it and enjoyed it too!! hugs

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I loved it! And, it was so filling. Was content for hours afterwards – sign of a good breakfast! :)

Tracy September 4, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Oh how I’d love to come for brunch! Lemon blueberry sounds so so good ;)

Pizza night is always welcome in our house….everyone loves pizza! Yours looks over-the-top.

Have a great weekend, Heather!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Tracy,
Come on over! :)

Jill September 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I need to get more Sockarooni sauce-I absolutely love that stuff! And I can totally picture Summer saying that about your pizza :-) I actually have a gluten-free/grain free brownie recipe that I’d pinned on Pinterest a while ago that this post reminded me to try. The brownies have almond butter, maple syrup, cocoa, and zucchini (of course some other things that I’m forgetting, too), and I feel like they’re either going to be amazing or terrible. But I, like you, do enjoy venturing into the gluten-free territory so I’ll have to test them out and let you know.

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Jill,
CD introduced me to Sockarooni sauce when we started dating, and it’s been my go-to store bought sauce ever since. So good!
PS – Happy to be your brownie taste tester ;)

Cherie September 4, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Everything looks so good. I make coconut almond breads and started making buckwheat crepe/wraps. I do really miss pizza and so far haven’t found a gluten-free mix I like, so I really want to try the Namaste mix!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Cherie,
Your breads and wraps sound right up my alley. Hope you try and like the Namaste. I would definitely flip it over halfway through cooking for a crispier crust – it’s optional in the directions, and I think it really made for a better tasting crust.

Marty September 4, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I’ll have to try these! Yum! I love easy these days, well most days!

Xo

Katie September 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I love the Namaste gf four blend. Its the only one I’ve found that comes close to not tasting grainy and beany.

I always have troubles flipping the first one too – I call it the pancake effect.

I go back and forth with the sweet and savory too – pb&j or mashed avocado are definitely my two favorites!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Katie,
Ugh, beany mixes are the worst. I love most everything Bob’s Red Mill makes, but their gluten free flour tastes like one big bean. Hope classes are going well so far this semester…and sorry about the game on Sunday. :(

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 5, 2013 at 12:07 am

The plantain bread looks delicious and I love the idea of lemon-blueberry! I’ve made a gluten-free bread using coconut flour and it turned out great. Your post has reminded me to make it again!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Melissa,
Happy to be your reminder. :)

amiee September 5, 2013 at 12:47 am

I love the recipes you share, thank you!! Just added plantain to the grocery list…sounds so yummy. :)

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Amiee,
Oh good. Lately, I feel like that’s all I do – share other people’s recipes. Haven’t been too creative myself, but when I discover a recipe I really enjoy, I like to share. :)

Amelia September 5, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yay for another ‘surprise’ post in my feedly!! :)

Your pizza looked amazing on Instagram. Even if the crust would have been a wash, thank goodness it wasn’t, the cheesy toppings looked like they would have made up for it. YUM!

Haven’t tried plantain bread yet. I purchased my second ever plantain and it is sitting on the counter getting more brown and speckled by the day. I think I need to change that today. You inspire me with trying all of these new recipes/ food combinations AND being a mom to 3+ 1 on the way. :)

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Surprise! :)

Yeah, pesto always make for a good pizza even if the crust is so-so, but I was really pleased with the Namaste mix.

Hope you tried the plantain bread. Such a quick, easy, and filling breakfast. Tasty too.

the delicate place (@misathemeb) September 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

mmm i need to try that plantain bread! how ya feeling mama? getting close now right?

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Hi Melissa,
Yes, you do! I’m feeling pretty good most days, but I think my body is definitely done producing children. ;)

Due date is November 30 – about 11 weeks to go!

Pdub September 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

We tried the namaste crust while it was not bad, it could be a little gummy in texture, and can’t fool anyone that is not gf. While I was in California last month, I had this amazing gluten free pizza a Patxi’s. It doesn’t even taste like gluten free crust! The crust is pliable, but crispy, and it comes in 14″! It was sooooo good. I asked about their crust and they are made by Venice Bakery. I just ordered a pack of 6 yesterday! :)

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Hi Pdub,
Did you flip your Namaste crust halfway through baking. It was optional in the directions, and I flipped. Definitely helped make for a crispier crust. I’ve never heard of Venice Bakery’s products, but will have to check them out. Thanks for the tip!

lindsay September 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm

love all these recipes and namaste is a great brand! i’ll eat your scraggly crepes any day. Flipping is overrated. ;-)

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Lindsay,
Totally overrated! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I still need to try the plantain bread. I keep meaning to. I had a bad experience with plantains years ago and am still kind of scared. I think it’s time I get over it. Everything sounds amazing! Now I want pizza!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Sarena,
Yeah, I’ve had my bad experiences with food before and then don’t want whatever it was I ate for years. Jambalaya comes to mind. After we went to a Mardi Gras party back in February, I spent the next 24 hours puking. Not sure if I can eat it again for a long long time. Perhaps just make pizza instead. ;) That being said, the plantain bread was really good!

Ravenous Venus September 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

Mmm that plantain bread sounds fantastic :) I have a feeling that it’d be AWESOME with coconut cream, sea salt, and maple syrup. Drool.

I’ve been following your blog for a while and I love your approach to life and eating. Reading your posts on how being obsessive about food and exercise taught me a lot, like how it’s NOT healthy to be so obsessive (I thought it was a good thing). Thank you for the shift, I really needed it!.

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hi Ravenous Venus,
Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. Sounds like you’re on a better path these days (happy to hear it!), and I look forward to checking out your post. Life shifts can be really good things. :)

Ana September 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I need to try that plantain bread and some of the plantain recipes from the twins, I have been seeing her concoctions with and always keep telling myself to go buy some plantains :) That bread is one I would like to try, totally easy and looks good!
Good to know the pizza crust mix is good, I will see if I can find some around here!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Ana,
Only problem with the bread is that you can’t eat it in a cute mug. Hehe, I know you love your breakfast ‘n in a mug! Guess you could always smoosh it down in there with your toppings though. :)

Joy September 9, 2013 at 12:13 am

Ooh lemon blueberry, can I ask how you’d do that? Is it really as easy as adding lemon juice and blueberries

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hi Joy,
I was thinking about adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries and a tsp of lemon zest to the batter before baking. :)

Melanie September 9, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hi Heather,

I’ve been looking through your archives of late and thought of you today when I had a post-lunch dessert of banana and a big old blob of Dark Chocolate Dreams!

Hope you are well!

HEAB September 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hi Melanie,
A winning combo for sure – makes me happy that it made you think of me. :)
PS – have ever tried freezing a blog of Dark Chocolate Dreams? It’s like a frozen Reese’s. So good!

Melanie September 10, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ha! Funny you say that because I bought all the stuff to make the peanut butter cups with the dark chocolate and the peanut butter/nooch combo. It’s just sitting in my cupboard waiting for me to put it together!

I love your blog :)

HEAB September 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Haha, thanks Melanie. Now go make yourself some PB cups! :)

Ravenous Venus September 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Sorry to double comment! I recently posted my journey to eating real food and I mentioned your blog in part III of my series. I have the link listed below :)

natalie September 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm

looks like SO much fun. And the recipe looks right up my alley! thanks for posting!

HEAB September 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Natalie,
Welcome. Plantain bread is delicious – hope you try it soon! :)

erika October 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hey Heather, I noticed that you are not eating a lot of meat lately and a lot of grains and vegetarian dishes. Is it because that is what you want right now or are you feeling better without a lot of meat? Just wondering? I can’t believe you are on number four! That’s awesome!

HEAB October 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Hey Erika,
I am craving a lot of veggies and grains these days…finally! Those first two trimesters were a bit rough, and my cravings were so bizarre. I’m not posting everything I eat, and looking back at the random recipes I have posted haven’t included much meat. You’re right, but I am eating chicken most days, and we have grilled burgers atop salads one or two nights a week. Just not as exciting as veggie stir-fry or Rice Krispies treats. ;)