Almond Butter Krispies Treats

by HEAB on September 11, 2013

Let me tell you how this would all go down if I was not currently pregnant…

These delicious almond butter Rice Krispies treats would have been made with unsweetened puffed brown rice cereal, probably a lot less sugar, and 90% dark chocolate chunks.  But guess what?  My belly is with child and wants SWEETS.  So, that’s what I gave it today.

Pregnancy is a funny thing.  The cravings get pretty intense, and when I get hungry for something, I have to have it.  Several months ago, I NEEDED Rice Krispies and bought a huge box.  However, once I got home, the thought of cereal made me nauseous.  In fact, the box has been sitting in our cabinet, unopened, ever since.  Snap, Crackle, and Pop finally saw the light of day this past Sunday night when I made a batch of chocolate peanut butter krispies treats for our dinner guests.  Problem was I was then left with half a box of unwanted cereal.  What to do…what to do?

Make almond butter Rice Krispies Treats…and throw in those peanut M&M’s, also purchased months ago, that have been sitting around ever since my MUST HAVE PEANUT M&M’s attack.

After baby arrives, I will return to my usual low sugar HEABified recipes…I think. ;)

lindsay September 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

well hot damn, now i want these and i’m not pregnant. ;-)

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Lindsay,
Make them – no pregnancy required. ;)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I love making cereal bars! Love the flavor combo of these and I love that you used AB in them. I never have!

I have tons of recipes for bars with PB + corn syrup + sugar as the glue and then stirring in everything from Special K to Rice Krispies to marshmallows. Never tried it with AB though!

Craving desserts? Well, story of my life :)

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Averie,
Oh yes, I’ve seen some of your cereal bars – some great combos, and no need to try almond butter when you’re the PB expert. ;)

Cherie September 11, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Oh man, you’re killing me girl, lol!

I remember when I was pregnant with our twins, I would crave Greek spinach pie and egg drop soup. My sweet hubby would always go get some for me. So enjoy every bite Heather and have one (or two) for me!

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Cherie,
Aren’t husbands the best?!? Chris has been so patient with me throughout all our pregnancies – not even sure if I could have put up with me. Ha!

Enjoying lots of bites – for you and for myself. :)

Katie September 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I have a half eaten pack of Starbursts sitting on my night stand for this exact reason. Intense craving, followed by intense disgust. Growing a baby is funny.

…and I’m craving chocolate this week, so these sound wonderful!

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Katie,
Ha – I can so relate. I craved cherry and lemon Starbursts like mad during the first trimester of this pregnancy and would buy a pack, eat those two flavors and then throw the rest away. I’ve always thought Starburst should come out with a “cherry lemonade” package with only cherry and lemon. Their best flavors in my opinion. :)

Katie September 11, 2013 at 9:25 pm

…and I just remembered that peanut butter m&ms don’t even have chocolate, but for some reason, my pregnant brain just decided they would satisfy the craving!

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Katie,
The pregnant brain – nothing like it. Hormones are a crazy thing. ;)

Heather @ fit mama real food September 11, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Oh pregnancy cravings! So there with you… now that I see these it’s all I want! Saving for when I pick up some snap, crackle, pop.

Marty September 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

I think I need to get some RKs tomorrow! Yum! I might melt some coconut oil and cacao and sweetener and drizzle it all over too. Yum!

Tracy September 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Pregnancy cravings are no joke for sure! Preggo or not, those sound delicious! Especially with the crunchy almond butter and peanuts.

I look forward to both HEABified and non-HEAB recipes!!

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Tracy – I’ll keep ‘em coming! :)

Simone September 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I want the HEAB recipe book :-)

HEAB September 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Simone,
Ha, don’t think that will ever be happening, but I’ll keep posting recipes on the blog for sure. Thanks for reading. :)

Marie September 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I just realized….I didn’t have rice crispy cakes in a longggg timeee! Thank you for the reminder. :)

HEAB September 16, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Marie,
You’re welcome! :)

Rachel September 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Heather-

This recipe reminded me of the oat bran crumble you once made (recipe from Polly). I have been scouring your blog and the internet for it. Can you share what that full recipe was? I would be so grateful! I have too many apples I want to use it with! I think you mentioned it here:

HEAB September 16, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi Rachel,
I so miss Polly’s blog and her simple delicious recipes! I just emailed her about that crumble recipe, and she said it’s basically the exact same method I mentioned in the post you referenced, except she usually used a bit of honey instead of maple syrup. To make the crumble, combine 2 heaping TBSP’s of oat bran, 1 TBSP peanut butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Top your fruit of choice with the crumble mixture and bake in a 400℉ oven for 10 minutes. Hope this helps and that you’re enjoying a bowl of warm apple crisp soon! :)

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 16, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I’ve been having intense cravings for sweets, too! Yesterday we were at our church festival and someone made double chocolate fudge cookies and I couldn’t get enough of them! If I wasn’t pregnant, I probably would have taken one bite or split one with my husband as a special treat, but I ate a whole one and some!

I used to love rice krispies…I just might need to make some now!

HEAB September 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Melissa,
Trust me, I get it. My appetite/cravings are totally out of control when I’m pregnant. It’s like they take over. I’m sure I would have joined you in a double chocolate fudge cookie…or five. ;)

Alex @ Kenzie Life September 17, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love rice krispies treats! They are so addictive and the homemade ones are my favorite. I bet the almond butter really takes them to another level!

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped September 17, 2013 at 9:51 am

So then what’s my excuse for cravings these so intensely? haha. Great recipe Heather ;)

HEAB September 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

McKel,
Hehe, rice krispies treats are sooo good, pregnant or not. :)

Shannon from OB September 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Yum, those look delicious! It’s funny because my mom and I made a few batches of RKTs to sell at a local charity bake sale. While we were cooking she told me about the time she made 12 dozen to sell with your MIL to raise money for new basketball uniforms for my brother’s jr high team. If we had used your recipe we probably could have raised even more money…. Or I would have eaten them all.

HEAB September 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Shannon,
Ha, I love it! Alice (Chris’s mom) was just out here visiting this past weekend, and next time we Skype, I’ll have to ask her about her history with rice krispies treats. :)

Sagan September 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Those look like perfection!

HEAB September 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Yeah, that about sums them up. ;)

vanillasugarblog October 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Heather!
I love these!
Sharing them on my “friday link” roundup!!
Have a great weekend!
xoxo

HEAB October 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Really?!? I’m honored. Thank you. :)