Let me tell you how this would all go down if I was not currently pregnant…
These delicious almond butter Rice Krispies treats would have been made with unsweetened puffed brown rice cereal, probably a lot less sugar, and 90% dark chocolate chunks. But guess what? My belly is with child and wants SWEETS. So, that’s what I gave it today.
Pregnancy is a funny thing. The cravings get pretty intense, and when I get hungry for something, I have to have it. Several months ago, I NEEDED Rice Krispies and bought a huge box. However, once I got home, the thought of cereal made me nauseous. In fact, the box has been sitting in our cabinet, unopened, ever since. Snap, Crackle, and Pop finally saw the light of day this past Sunday night when I made a batch of chocolate peanut butter krispies treats for our dinner guests. Problem was I was then left with half a box of unwanted cereal. What to do…what to do?
Make almond butter Rice Krispies Treats…and throw in those peanut M&M’s, also purchased months ago, that have been sitting around ever since my MUST HAVE PEANUT M&M’s attack.
Almond Butter Rice Krispies Treats
Adapted from this recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup almond butter (I used roasted crunchy unsalted)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup peanut M&M’s
- Stir sugar and brown rice syrup together over medium heat in a large saucepan until sugar completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond butter.
- Stir in Rice Krispies until completely coated.
- Stir in M&M’s.
- Press mixture into a 9 x 9 parchment lined pan.
- Allow to cool about an hour before cutting into squares.
After baby arrives, I will return to my usual low sugar HEABified recipes…I think. 😉