My Life In Bowls

by HEAB on September 23, 2013

Believe it or not, I have been subsisting on more than just Rice Krispies treats.

There have been numerous random combinations thrown atop bowls of rice.  Chris and I love keeping cooked brown rice in the fridge (I usually steam 3 cups at a time) and then add toppings for a quick lunch or dinner.  I’m the veggie girl, and his bowl usually contains rice and some kind of meat + cheese combo.  The kids are rice eaters too and usually just share bites of ours, and by ours, I mean bites of CD’s.  Without fail, they always gravitate towards their Dad’s bowls.  I’m pretty sure it’s the bacon.

Brown rice with pinto beans, roasted red pepper, sweet potato, and avocado.

The above was a clean out the fridge/scrape the highchair tray kind of bowl: Brown rice with mixed greens + The Pioneer Woman’s Greek salad dressing, lima beans (which the kids refuse to eat, but I keep offering b/c I love lima beans and get all the leftovers), salsa, and avocado.

A beautiful and colorful bowl inspired by Ana: Brown rice with roasted red pepper, sweet potato, chopped avocado, and feta.

The following was served in a bowl, but I actually ate it on a plate.  A rare occurrence these days – bowls are just so much easier.

Brown rice pasta with brown butter sage sauce + sauteed green beans topped with goat cheese.

Pasta is always a big hit around here.  Are there any children out there who don’t like pasta?!?  And to all the adults who claim to not like it…I think you’re lying. ;)

The brown butter sage sauce was such a hit on the pasta, that I thought it might make a good pizza sauce…it did.  I prepared two Namaste pizza crusts (love!) and topped one with tomato sauce, walnut pesto, and mozzarella, and I brushed the 2nd crust with the brown butter sage sauce, threw on some sauteed beef and Parm and baked both crusts for an additional 10 minutes.

We ate the pizza alongside a version of this green bean and almond salad.  Kind of weird, I know, but hasn’t that always been a theme here at HEAB?

And last but not least, I’ve been eating A LOT of muffins…

Last week, I hosted our playgroup, and we threw a surprise baby shower breakfast for one of the expecting moms.  One of my friends brought these raspberry topped lemon muffins.  Oh my word.  So good, and now I’m thinking raspberry topped lemon plantain bread!

Note to self: Buy plantains…and more Rice Krispies.

maggie @ say yes to salad September 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Those are my kind of bowls ;) Sweet potato + avocado = yum!

But I would probably add bacon too!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Maggie,
Bacon does make everything better. :)

Katie September 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I concur with the bowl o veggies plan. You cannot go wrong with avocado and roasted red pepper and anything else you want to throw in there. It’s just a law of nature that no matter what, that is going to taste good.

I don’t like pasta. (And by don’t like, I mean can’t eat and so I convince myself I don’t like it. Because otherwise I would cry. And gluten free pasta sucks. You will never convince me otherwise. ;) )

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Katie,
I don’t know – come over and I will make you brown rice pasta. It’s really hit or miss with that stuff. I’ve both over and undercooked it, but if you get just right, it’s truly good. I promise. :)

Purelytwins September 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm

we love rice!! we are lucky are bodies like it too. we eat it just about everyday.

we want to come over for rice dinners ;)

and that veggie almond salad sounds amazing. We think meals just taste better than bowls, right?

mmm raspberry lemon with plantain bread! yum! we have done figs, but not raspberries. need to try it.

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lori & Michelle,
Come on over! Would love to share rice with you two anytime.
PS – you can bring dessert. ;)

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine September 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Those all look delicious! I have been obsessed with dinner bowl creations lately too!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Rebecca,
One bowl meals are the best. :)

lindsay September 23, 2013 at 8:15 pm

yes, i think adults like pasta too. Or at least i do. with butter. oh my. and veggie bowls.
okay, try this bowl. Grits or polenta, honey, butter, fried plantain, and poached egg on top.

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Lindsay,
Now that is a bowl I can get behind – sounds like an amazing savory/sweet combo. Not sure why I never make polenta. That needs to change and soon!

Kim September 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Love the rice bowls with different add-ons – anything with avocado is a winner!!!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Kim,
Agreed! :)

Meagan September 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I’ve made plantain bread! It’s delicious! I doubled the recipe, and put it in my large cast iron pan, and baked it. Then I sliced it into wedges and then each wedge in half. It’s good with avocado and salt and hot sauce because the bread is naturally sweet! Yum!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Meagan,
Oh wow, that sounds good. I wasn’t sure how the plantain bread would taste with savory toppings, but I think you’ve convinced me to try it!

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy September 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Love the rice bowls and all of the different toppings! I love to eat my meals in bowls, too! There is something really satisfying about eating your meal in a bowl!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Melissa,
I could not agree more. We dirty a lot of bowls around here…plates are overrated. ;)

Lara September 23, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I love this post! You know how I love rice ;) Hey, did you read that scary study about rice and arsenic? I don’t want to believe it but it freaks me out.

I think there is something particularly magical about the combination of avocado and brown rice for some reason. And always, you need some sort of sauce or dressing with a rice bowl!

G is SUCH a picky eater lately…has this happened with your kids?! He’s hardly eating anything and it’s driving me insane.

HEAB September 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Lara,
Rice is pretty magical period. :)

And yes, Summer definitely went through a VERY PICKY stage sometime between 1 and 2. She went from eating any and everything to subsisting on nothing but provolone cheese and Larabars. We catered to her for a while but then just stopped buying whatever it was she would eat at that moment so she was forced to eat something else. She still has her moments, but it’s gotten a lot easier/better. Just keep offering G whatever you’re eating, and hopefully he’ll come around. That’s what worked best for us. Charlie and Katie aren’t too picky at the moment, but neither is a big fan of veggies, and I tend to feed them their same favorites over and over. Need to get back to more variety in my food prep…it was a lot easier to do with just one. ;)
PS – Don’t be too hard on yourself. There is a reason kids’ menus consist mostly of PB & J, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, etc. – that’s what kids love (unfortunately). We do the best we can at home. However, when we’re out and about or at friends’ houses, we try and just go with the flow. There are certain foods I do not feed our kids, but I have to admit that Summer loves a good hot dog – just like her mama!

HEAB September 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

PS Forgot to respond to the arsenic thing. Yes, I read about that last year but haven’t heard of anyone dying from rice poisoning yet. ;)

Heather @ fit mama real food September 23, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Bowls are my preference too, so much less messy than plates. Brown butter sage sauce sounds amazing! Next pizza night I’m thinking I must try it. And my little guy is a big pasta fan too. :)

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Heather,
Oh, I hope you do. I’ve been putting that sauce on everything. So good, and it’s super easy.

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 24, 2013 at 12:01 am

Ha, I am so guilty of the “throw things in bowl” method of eating as well. I don’t know why, but it really is easier than a plate!

That brown butter sage sauce sounds AMAZING, thanks for sharing the link!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Catherine,
No guilt or shame when it comes to the bowl lovin’. Plates are totally overrated in my opinion. ;)

Marty September 24, 2013 at 2:22 am

What beautiful bowls of color! Yum!!! I love eating out of bowls too, easier?! No knives or spoons needed. Well, sometimes I eat with a spoon instead of a fork… As much as I love brown rice, quinoa is my grain of choice lately. Soon it’ll be millet and kasha. Yeah. Easy peasy is the way to go! Xo m

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Marty,
Spoons are so much better for getting every last bite of rice & sauce. I usually start out with a fork but usually finish things off with a spoon. :)

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 24, 2013 at 7:01 am

Such a great idea to just keep a bowl of rice in the fridge! I always have stuff to top it with but I don’t usually think about it!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Liz,
Yes, I usually cook 3 to 4 cups of rice up at a time – once or twice a week. We love our rice bowls around here, and keeping some already cooked in the fridge makes throwing together a meal so quick & easy.

Ana September 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

LOVE your bowls Heather!!! And you are soooo sweet, I am honored to inspire one of your bowls!! I love eating from bowls (same with mugs and glass jars, hehe!), there is something about it that feels so comforting and makes the food even more delicious!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks again for the inspiration Ana. All of your meals are so pretty and inspiring!

Marcia@Frugal Healthy Simple September 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Funny I just cooked up a big rice cooker pot full of barley and have been tossing it on my salads this week. I have a tendency to carefully plan every meal (full time job, 2 kids, one just 1 year old).

But I really like the “throw some stuff into a bowl” method too. I guess that’s what I’ve been doing with my salads…

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Marcia,
Those are my favorite kinds of salads. Random, but usually so good…hehe, I’ve had a few mishaps. ;)

Heather @TheSoulfulSpoon September 24, 2013 at 11:00 am

Heather, that salad dressing sounds delish, along with the entire salad recipe!:) I love eating a hodge podge of stuff in a bowl too, especially when it’s healthy for me. Great recipes!!:)

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Heather, and yeah, that dressing is good and really easy. Love the addition of chopped olives. Adds a lot of flavor.

Tracy September 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Veggie & rice bowls are my absolute favorite comfort food and my go-to when nothing else is appealing. I think it has to do with all the different tastes and textures and NEVER gets boring.

I’m digging the sound of the dressing for the almond salad! Yum!

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Tracy,
Exactly, so many possible combos, and I love all the different colors and textures. Comfort in a bowl. :)

Alyssa September 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Oh wow!
Yum!

That is all. :)

Emilia September 27, 2013 at 12:13 am

Someone’s getting rather creative these days, huh? :-) Love it!! Those bowls look super yummy and I think you should start introducing them to pinterest (YES>>>They’re SO pinable!)- – And I’m totally doing it for you if you don’t. Love and blessings~ xo

PS>>>> :: Come to Santa Cruz- bring the fam!! xx

HEAB October 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Emilia,
Haha, not sure if you want all of us to show up…hope you have a lot of bowls on hand. ;)

Lorne October 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I have just enjoyed a delicious bowl of sage butter on buckwheat pasta… oh my. I have had a sage bush in my garden for the past year and had no recipes or ideas on what to put it on… now I do ;-) Yum yum yum

Thanks Heather for sending a little sage inspiration this way :-)

Rosey Rebecca October 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I think I need all of these bowls–especially the one with roasted reds and avocado. And brown butter sage sauce? *dies*

HEAB October 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Rosey Rebecca,
Yes, you really do. :)

Kath October 26, 2013 at 2:51 am

Bowls are the best because they’re so easy to handle! Your food bowls look mouthwateringly colorful! :)