Give Me Stir Fry

by HEAB on October 3, 2013

My friend Jessica and I have a lot in common.  Our husbands work together, we both have two year old daughters, we’re both currently pregnant, and we both love Asian food.  So, every few weeks, we get together for dinner at various restaurants around town to discuss life over rice.  Last week, we met up for Vietnamese, and I’ve been craving a good veggie stir-fry ever since…not to mention spring rolls and peanut sauce.  I could seriously drink peanut sauce.

Anyway, tonight, I wowed CD with an Asian inspired dinner…mostly because any night I actually make dinner is kind of “wow” worthy.

My creation served over steamed black rice.

While Chris took the girls on a walk, Charlie and I chopped veggies, minced some garlic, and did a little stir-frying.  The adults enjoyed.  The kids demanded cheese.  We caved.  They’ll eat veggies someday, right?!?

And for dessert?  Peanut sauce!  Not really – I ate a few handfuls of chocolate chips, but a bowl full of rice with peanut sauce would have been perfect.

Samantha October 4, 2013 at 2:40 am

DEFINITELY trying this! Fig jam? Yes please! We make this stir fry on a very regular basis (I make it meat and meat substitute free since tempeh/seitan are not available here) and love it too.

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Sam,
Pinning that stir-fry recipe. Thank you! Obsessed with Asian flavors these days, especially any involving peanuts. :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 4, 2013 at 10:14 am

definintely trying this…fig butter from tj’s maybe? or maybe pumpkin butter! mmm i do love a good stir fry. it’s just the perfect sweet and savory combo! hope you’re feeling well mama!

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Melissa,
Bet it would be great with either. I’ve added pumpkin to stir fry before but not pumpkin butter. GOOD IDEA!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables October 4, 2013 at 11:06 am

I just poured some homemade peanut sauce over my oatmeal this morning–that stuff is addictive!! Your stirfry looks delicious :)

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Catherine,
I know, right?!? Love the thought of breakfast with an Asian flair. Good thinking! :)

Tracy October 4, 2013 at 11:39 am

Don’t even get me started on peanut sauce….I die! Obsessed. And fig jam? Great idea! Definitely will be trying your version. I’m roasting a spaghetti squash right now and just decided how I’m going to eat it.

Your description of the dinner hour sounds so familiar. Never a dull moment at your house I’m sure! And vegetables? Still trying to encourage my kids to eat them. Hummpf.

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Tracy,
Yeah, the veggie thing is a challenge, but looking back, I wasn’t always a huge fan of them either. Now I love all veggies – hoping my kids will say the same someday, but for now, they’re all about cheese. ;)

Ameena October 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Fig jam…love it. What a great recipe! What a great friend. Reading this makes me miss my best friend in LA – we were pregnant at the same time too.

She’s almost the only thing I miss about LA. :)

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Ameena – it was tasty. Hope your friend is able to visit often. We talk about moving out to Colorado one day, and I know I’ll miss my Nashville buds like crazy if we go!

Hannah October 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I used to consider myself quite the wacky stir-fry sauce creator (mustard? Sure! Wasabi powder? Yep! Balsamic and kecap manis? Why not!) but fig jam is awesome. Go you.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple October 4, 2013 at 8:18 pm

My kids eat veggies. Both boys ate baby food veggies for a LONG time (15 month old, still at it) and my 7 year old went from that to soup with veggies.

Hey, it worked, the big boy eats them now, and hopefully little guy will be the same.

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Marcia,
We never did the pureed thing much, and now I’m wondering if I should have. Maybe I could still try. All the kids love potatoes, but they fear most greens. Whenever I make salad, Summer says, “Mom’s eating leaves.” ;)

Jennie October 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Have you seen Archer? I’ve started only making stir fries on Fridays since seeing it so I can say “it’s stir Friday!” Haha, never gets old.

Glad to see a new post from you HEAB! Hope you’re doing well :-)

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Jennie,
No, I haven’t but I think I might need to watch…however, that would kind of screw up Friday pizza night around here, and we love our pizza night. Guess I could always make stir fry for lunch. ;)

Anita October 5, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hi Heather: great to see your post! What brand fig jam did you use? Would you also post your peanut sauce recipe? I used a short cut one by just adding peanut butter to good old hoisin sauce…jif makes a new whipped peanut butter …much lighter and so easy to use… Does not require refrigeration

HEAB October 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hi Anita,
I used the St. Dalfour Royal Fig jam, and as far as peanut sauce goes, the one I ate recently came from a restaurant…was probably full of sugar and soooo tasty! ;) This is my quick homemade recipe: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/worlds-easiest-peanut-sauce/, but this one is probably my favorite: http://www.annmcgrath.com/?q=node/23. So so good, although it calls for almond butter rather than peanut. Your version sounds just about perfect, and I haven’t ever tried the Jif whipped stuff, but I have a friend who loves to eat it frozen. Says it’s the best snack ever.

Lynn @ The Actor's Diet October 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Mmmm – craving black rice now!

lindsay October 6, 2013 at 6:51 am

now i am craving rice and peanut sauce for breakfast. eggs on top?

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Yes!!! Did you ever make it?!?

lindsay October 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm

actually, i did, or something similar. But used red rice.

vanillasugarblog October 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm

oh my gosh I HAVE drank (drunk?) peanut sauce!
that stuff is dangerous around me!

HEAB October 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Vanilla,
Haha, don’t think I haven’t been tempted. ;)

Mandy October 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Stir fry has been pinned. That sauce is genius! Hope you’re feeling good! xo

HEAB October 15, 2013 at 7:22 am

Thanks Mandy, feeling pretty good these days. Almost 34 weeks along. She’ll be here soon, and she’s obviously a fan of Asian food. Been eating lots and lots of stir fry lately. Hope you enjoy as much as baby and I do. :)

Kath October 26, 2013 at 2:49 am

This looks wonderful, Heather! I love a good stir fry. :) And I hope everything is going well with your pregnancy!

HEAB October 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks so much Kath. Still on an Asian food kick ever since posting this. The pregnancy is going well, thanks…although I think this baby is going to come out craving peanut sauce. ;) Only 5 more weeks to go!