Our Favorite Toy

by HEAB on October 10, 2013

We try and keep Christmas pretty simple around here as we don’t want the focus of the holiday to be on presents, presents, presents, give me, give me, give me (not just for the kids but for the adults as well). We aim for one gift that the recipient will truly love and a filled stocking.  That’s the goal anyway.  The gift part is easy.  I keep an ongoing list of stuff I’d love to get for the kids, and Chris NEVER buys anything for himself.  So, whenever he shows an interest in any sort of product I write it down for future holidays and birthdays.  Anyway, it’s the stockings that challenge me as I like to stock them with thoughtful and clever gifts.  Summer was fairly easy to buy for last year, but I had no idea what to get Charlie and Katie.  After a last minute frantic google search for “best gift for a six month old”, I found a few ideas including these cups, and now I can’t for the life of me remember what ended up in their stockings besides those cups, AKA the toy of 2013.

Who would’ve have thought something to simple could occupy my children for hours?    They all love these plastic cups, the toddler included.

I didn’t realize when I threw them in my Amazon cart how many uses they have.  There are numbers on the bottom of each cup, and so they’re great for stacking and counting.  You can use them as containers for dry goods (beans, coins, etc.) to teach transferring skills, and since all the cups contain holes in the bottom, they are great for bath time and water play.

Stacking and knocking down the cups is probably their favorite game for now, but I have a feeling as the kids grow and learn, we will find more and more creative uses for their cups.  My only complaint is that I am constantly picking up cups. Haha, I can’t tell you how many nights after putting the kids to bed, I’ve said to Chris, the (insert color here) cup is missing, and we cannot sit down to dinner until it’s found.  The type-A in me rears its ugly head when it comes to these cups, but after ten months, we still have two complete sets.  A little proud of that fact.

Anyway, just wanted to share.  I am in no way connected with the cup people.  No affiliate links, etc.  I’ve just been cleaning out our toys in a major way (By the way, have you read Simplicity Parenting?  Good stuff!) and decided I needed to spread the stackable cup love.  Hope they bring as much joy to a little one in your life as they have brought to mine.

Purelytwins October 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

bookmarking these cups… if that time ever comes ;)
love it when you can find a gift that really means something to the other person, and it gets used and loved :)

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

The time will come, and the cups will be much loved. :)

Jesse October 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

my son loved those last year as well, huge hit!

Colleen October 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Simplicity Parenting is the BEST BOOK! I keep a copy on my nightstand to keep reminding myself of all the good tips.

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Colleen,
My copy is sitting on the nightstand too. Great book with so many good reminders!

Jan West October 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Hee hee – I had to laugh when I read about the best toy ever! Do you know that I bought a set like this about 30 years ago for my son! I purchased the set from a catalog place called “Discovery Toys” and I don’t even know if they are still around, but for years it was the only place I could buy them. I always made sure that I gave a set to new moms because, like you, truly believe it is the best toy ever! I don’t think these had the holes in the bottom, though. Good for you, Heather, for recognizing a good thing!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Jan,
Really?!? That is too funny, and I TOTALLY remember the Discovery Toys store. I thought it was so neat and wanted everything in there when I was little. Forgot all about it too. I think my mom used to take us there when we were bored and just needed a change of scenery…which I totally get now. ;)

I will be giving these cups to all new parents as well – the perfect baby shower gift!

Denise Billings October 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm

They remind me of some colorful, doughnut shaped, plastic, tire-like things I had when I was really, really little. They were different in sizes, like these cups, and they slipped onto a wooden spike that rocked back and forth. You had to have them in order for them all to fit on the wooden base. Loved that toy so I can see why your kids would like the cups so much.

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Denise,
Haha – I had that toy as well, and now our kids have a wooden version. Charlie loves it. :)

Katie October 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Adrienne STILL loves these cups. We took them to the pool with us all summer, and now they live in the bathtub. Such a perfect gift.

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Katie,
Yeah, I have a feeling the cups will be around for a while…for both of us. :)

Ana October 11, 2013 at 7:47 am

Matheus had that same cup set and loved it, he played with that for a few years too!
And among so other things we share the same view on Christmas Heather! I grew up always getting only one Christmas present, it was one and only one, from Santa until I believed in that, and then for my parents, and it has been like that until today.
For Matheus we kept the same thing, always one gift from Santa aka Mom/Dad now, haha! No need for tons of things, no need for a “list”, there is no list around here, it is pick one, pick something you would love. (which usually end up being something that is more expensive too, so he “saves for Christmas” hehe!).
I didn’t grow up with stockings, it is summer time in Brazil during the holidays, haha! But I usually fill with a thing or two and on the past few years with an itunes gift card that have been the highlight for Matheus so he can buy music and games :)
It is not about making lists and getting tons of presents and never learning the value of things, it is about learning the true meaning of Christmas, and being thankful for every single thing you get!
Much love to you and your beautiful family Heather!!!
And man, can you believe Christmas is already only two months away?? Matheus said he wants an xbox this year, so right now we compromised to sell our wii and all its games, then we will give him the xbox and he will use the money we get from selling the wii to buy games for the new system, hopefully that will work out! :)

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Ana,
I’m not surprised we’re on the same page when it comes to Christmas as we share so many common interests and seem to like the same kinds of things. :) I’ll have to remember iTunes gift cards for when the kids get a bit older. That’s a great stocking stuffer idea! And no, I cannot believe it’s almost November. Another good thing about keeping Christmas simple…shopping is a lot less stressful! Hope Matheus enjoys his xbox! :)

robyn jones clark October 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

of course i had no idea what to get landry.. so now I know.. cups. :) thanks for the tip!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

RJC,
Welcome. He’ll love them! :)

Tracy October 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

OMG those cups!! We had a set of those, too! They went through all 4 of my kids and we never lost one. We totally had the same requirement for finding ALL the cups before we went to bed or cleaned up before leaving the house. Too funny! My mom & sis thought I was crazy so I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one. lol

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Tracy,
As always, you give me hope. If your set of cups can survive 4 kids, then surely mine can too.
PS – My mom thinks I’m crazy too. Someone has to be the anal-toy-keeper-together, right? ;)

Sarah October 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I love it! My little guy will be 7 months old on Christmas this year and I have been googling myself. Might just have to get those. I would like to read that book too! Thanks for sharing :)

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Sarah, you’re welcome, and I hope he loves the cups! :)

Jennifer October 11, 2013 at 8:45 pm

My kids loved those cups too! One time when pushing the stroller through the mall parking lot, my son threw one of the cups. It ended up under a HUGE vehicle and I literally had to do a belly crawl under the thing to retrieve it. I wasn’t willing to lose it! It was dumb to bring the cups with us (I always carried 1 or 2 in the diaper bag) and they never left the house again after that! Looking back, I should have ordered another set…

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Jennifer,
Haha – I’d totally crawl under the vehicle too. Heck, I’d wedge myself under a bus if I had to. Must never lose a cup! ;)

ashley October 12, 2013 at 7:30 am

This is a cute post :) Even though my youngest is now 15 months, I have a feeling he might enjoy those cups for Christmas. We also try to keep pretty simple around here, so I appreciate it when I hear another parent talk about that (not many of the parents we know personally keep it very simple…). Also, I am reading Simplicity Parenting right now, and I love it so far!! The ideas in it really appeal to me.

Take care!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Ashley,
We’re all about keeping things simple around here. Our kids really seem to do better with just a few favorite toys, and they behave a lot better with a regular routine. The whole family does. So, yes, some wonderful ideas in that book. Oh, and I think your youngest would love the cups – so many playtime possibilities when it comes to those cups!

Lara October 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I think I need to read that book. I’m constantly worried that G is bored, that he doesn’t have enough toys, and he will therefore not be as smart or as happy as his peers with more toys (all of which is ridiculous, both because I know toys does not equal smart or happy, plus the fact that he has a ton of toys anyway).
This is a sidenote but I just finished Positive Discipline for 1-3 year olds and really liked it. I think you would, too. :)

susiehomemaker October 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm

My boys loved those cups when they were babies too! And they both played with them for years. I love simple toys like that. We are the same way about Christmas as you, we try not to go crazy with presents and just get them one or two things plus stockings. My parents are the same way, but they are completely spoiled on the other side of the family. I know I won’t ever stop their grandparents and aunts and uncles from spoiling them at Christmas, but I’ve learned to request small gifts, as our house is overflowing with huge toys, most of which they never even play with. Smaller is better! :)

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Susie,
Amen – smaller is better. Trust me, I totally get it…we give a lot of big stuff away to Goodwill…as well as the loud toys…or the batteries happen to “fall out”. ;)

Mandy October 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Have the cups. Ian doesn’t really gravitate towards them, but perhaps I’ll pull them back out into the forefront and see if he wants to do something other than roll them or throw them (the former is fine, the latter, not so much). Must check out this book! Funny, just today I was battling with Ian, trying to get him to either play soccer because it was “time for his soccer class!” or get him to play at the park, which he was not really in the mood for. Once I stopped trying to push an agenda on him, we had a blast hanging out at a bus stop, where we took turns finding something to give to one another, which we then made into a “collection.” Gum wrappers, grass, rocks, a rubber band. He played happily for 30 minutes. We were outside, in the shade, no TV…’twas good. And simple. xo

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Mandy,
Yes, I totally remember seeing your “collection” photo on Instagram, and I thought, “how fun!”. It’s always the simple games that turn out to be the best, no? I know that was true for me growing up – I had a lot more fun playing made-up games with my brothers than I did with any toy.

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy October 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

We love those same cups, too! In fact, we have a set for inside (which is now used solely in the bath) and one for outside to use in the sand box and water table!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Melissa,
Aren’t they the best?!? And that’s smart to have one set for bath time. We should do that as my kids love playing with them in the tub.

Melanie October 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My son is almost 11 months and has loved these cups the past few months! I leave a few in his crib and loves to play with them when he wakes up in the morning – I know he’s awake when I hear the cups banging together :-) A big hit!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Melanie,
That’s a good idea, but I picture mine throwing the cups out of the crib and making a game of it with each other. One drawback to having twins share a room. ;)

Jess October 24, 2013 at 11:06 am

My kids have some I got at a garage sale that they love especially in the bath. We are missing a few so they don’t stack so well. I love that you are not into giving your kids heaps of “stuff”. I am the same way, unfortunately I have a family member who totally disagrees and gave my girls 4 large boxes of stuff for their upcoming Birthday. It way too much and I’ve tried to discuss putting money aside and one gift limit, but it is ignored. This year we decided to donate 4 boxes of old stuff and turn it into a positive thing!

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Jess,
I loved your positive spin, and trust me, I totally get it. I started sending out links to specific gifts or “ideas” about what we’d like for the kids to receive whenever any family member asks about what to get them. Some get it, some don’t. A lot of the time, we just try and go with the flow as I know my family loves giving gifts to our kids…and other times, I just remove the batteries. ;)

Jess October 24, 2013 at 11:09 am

PS I forgot to say congratulations on number 4 !!! I’m way behind! You’ll be busy, but no doubts have a full heart! Plus if you can handle twins and a toddler what is one more! :)

HEAB October 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Thanks Jess – didn’t see this part of your comment until after I read your first one. Haha – right?!? Might as well just throw another one into the mix. I mean it really couldn’t get any more crazy around here. ;)

{ 1 trackback }