Rainy Day Activity Ideas

by HEAB on October 27, 2013

Here are some of the crafts/activities we’ve been keeping ourselves busy with lately…

In August, Chris and I took our final babymoon and spent a couple of days relaxing and riding bikes around Rosemary Beach in Florida (one of my favorite spots!!!).  We brought the kids back some shells, and last week, Summer and I decided they needed a little more personality…

I googled “shell crafts”, and saw an image similar to the one above.  Summer painted the shells, and then I added the details and glued the googly eyes on with a hot glue gun.  Quick and easy, and we all enjoy playing with our new friends…although Katie decapitateded the turtle yesterday, but he’s all put back together now. :)

We’re on the toddler birthday circuit and having a lot of fun at the parties of our friends’ children.  We’re still enjoying making gifts, and Summer and I had a good time with this last one…

It was for a boy turning three who enjoys any and all modes of transportation, and like Summer, trains hold a very special place in his heart.  Summer helped me pick out the train, tractor, and dump truck from images we found online, and then I drew them onto some colorful card stock I had, cut them out, made a background scene, and glued everything together with craft glue.  We then  placed our finished product in a display frame I found at Target.  Before wrapping the gift, Summer and I talked about all the different scenes, and now I want to make something similar for our house.

And last but not least, like I mentioned earlier, Summer is slightly obsessed with trains and loves “driving” the trains on her train table through the tunnel.  So, we made her a Summer-sized tunnel that now serves as the entrance to our laundry room…

Makes laundry a lot more fun!

I took an old twin-sized white sheet and painted the black part with leftover paint I had from another project.  I then used these spray paints to paint the bricks, sky, and sun.  For the bricks, I made a stencil out of half a sheet of white poster board and just moved it along the tunnel as I spray painted.  To hang the curtain, I bought a tension rod from Target and used some curtain rings we already had.  Then I simply cut a slit up the middle of the tunnel  for the kids.  Summer, Charlie, and Katie love it, but the pups were a little confused…

Hehe, it took me throwing some treats through the slit for them to figure out how to access their water bowl in the laundry room.

What are your favorite rainy day activities?  We try and stay entertained inside, but we also love putting on our rain gear and stomping around in the puddles.

alli October 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm

theses are darling! what a creative and fun mom you are :) heck, i would love to go through the tunnel to do laundry! then i might actually do it regularly ;) love the posts xo

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Alli,
The excitement of going through the train tunnel to do laundry didn’t last too long. Kids are still enjoying it though. :)

Colleen October 28, 2013 at 5:40 am

Wow! I am so impressed that you still manage to make such thoughtful and amazing crafts with all of your littles! My mom was really crafty too, and I have wonderful memories from childhood. I know your children must love all the things you come up with!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Colleen,
I have a lot of fun getting crafty – It’s relaxing for me and my favorite thing to do during down time. Love hearing that you have such fond memories of making crafts with your mom – I hope my kids can say the same someday. :)

Kristin (Niblet/Cook Bake Nibble blog) October 28, 2013 at 7:33 am

You are SUCH a fun mom! I hope to be like you :)

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks Kristin, I try to be, but I definitely have my “not so fun” moments. Hoping the kids will not remember those as much. ;)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 28, 2013 at 10:50 am

omg i would have LOVED that train tunnel. you are so crafty i love it! i used to have a little pup tent when i was little that had it’s own private entrance and i thought i was a queen in that thing! defending my ‘tent castle’ lol

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Melissa,
Kids and tents. We grew up making forts and playhouses. Just something so magical about having your own private little world, no?

Lara October 28, 2013 at 3:00 pm

So clever and fun, Heabs. Thanks for sharing your fun ideas with me/us!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Lara,
You’re welcome. When G gets to the “train phase”, come on over! :)

Tracy October 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Your kids will have such great memories of all the fun crafts you do with them. They are very blessed as are you :)

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Tracy, I sure hope so! :)

Ana October 29, 2013 at 7:23 am

You are amazing Heather!!! These ideas are all so much fun! What a cool mama you are!!
I love the birthday gift you guys made, super cool and pretty too! And the tunnel idea is the best, love it!!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Ana,
Thank you. I have to get creative with all these toddler birthday gifts – as it’s so hard to come up with something to buy our friends’ kids b/c most of them don’t really need toys, books, etc. Have you had any favorite go-to gifts over the years. I can never think of anything, and so we just make stuff, which I enjoy. However, as the kids get older, and they’re all in school, I know I probably won’t have time to make every single gift.

Jess October 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Wow you’re clever and creative! The kids must have a blast with you! Those shell crafts are adorable!!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Jess,
Haha, not so much. We have to keep craft time short and sweet as they don’t have much of an attention span for it now, although they seem to enjoy the final project. :)

Ameena November 1, 2013 at 8:46 am

I can’t get over how creative you are. When it’s raining I usually head over to the library / bookstore / a friend’s place. Seriously, I’m going to have to hit up Michael’s and get some craft stuff because I’m sure the upcoming winter is going to be a long one.

Have a great weekend Heather!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Ameena,
Oh trust me, not all rainy days are filled with craft time. We HAVE to get out of the house. Story time at the library is my saving grace, and whenever a friend invites us over, we’re there. Both the kids and I often just need a change of scenery, and coloring doesn’t quite cut it. ;)

Cara (Twinthusiast) November 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm

These are great! I just did a post on homemade play dough. The girls loved it. (And our dog ate it.) That wall art piece is so, so cool!

HEAB November 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Cara, and I loved the play dough. We will be making it someday…can’t do it now as I’m pretty sure Charlie would eat most of it. ;)

Alyssa November 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm