The Little Things

by HEAB on June 20, 2014

Two posts in one week?  Yep, just had some stuff to write about this week.  Trust me, I could fill post after post with our day to day adventures, but since we try and keep the kids’ lives off of the Internet, I honestly don’t have much to share.  Our kids are my world.  From dawn to dusk and beyond, we are laughing, playing, snacking, changing diapers, crying, reading, creating, and who knows what else.  So, since our little tribe doesn’t appear much here on HEAB, it’s hard for me to come up with posts that don’t include photos of the kids…because they’re pretty much all I photograph these days.  However, after posting about Charlie and Katie’s birthday party, I realized I do miss this space.  Therefore, I thought I’d share some little things that bring a smile to my face these days, besides Summer, Charlie, Katie, & Hannah.

This quick and easy meal…

When I say quick, I don’t mean “nuke a frozen meal” or “make a sandwich” type meal, but if you plan a bit ahead, this delicious meal really comes together in no time.  We cook up big batches of rice once or twice a week, and so there is always rice in the fridge to use as a base for meals.  My personal favorite is short grain brown rice.  I also like to keep peeled and chopped carrots in the fridge for quick snacks and veggie roasting.  For the above bowl, I roasted carrots and frozen green beans in a 425°F oven with a couple tablespoons of butter and salt for…I’m not sure. It was early evening/feed kids their dinner/bath night at our house, and there is no telling how long those veggies sat in the oven.  I’m guessing between 45 minutes to an hour, and I stirred them several times.  I love my carrots to get sweet and caramelized, and so I probably cook them longer than most.  Once the veggies were done, I scooped out some rice, added lots of veggies, and topped my bowl with crumbled goat cheese.  Done and delicious, and leftover veggies usually make an appearance at lunch the next day.

These sweet lights

We have an early riser, and instead of going the light up alarm clock route, I put some Christmas lights in a jar and set them on a timer.   When Summer showed up in my room at 5:30 AM the first morning we tried them, I asked her if she’d waited for the lights to come on before getting out of bed.  Her response was, “I was awake, and the lights weren’t on.”  Since it was early, and I couldn’t come up with an argument for her logic, I just smiled, rolled over, and we cuddled until her siblings started stirring.

Long skirts…

I live in long skirts these days.  So nice and breezy for hot summer days.

Oh, and speaking of hot summer days, sunshine makes me smile…always. :)

Tracy June 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Wow! This is a treat having 2 posts! Glad to know you miss this space cuz we miss you in it!! :)

I really respect your choice to keep the kids off the internet. You’re a wise mama! It’s easy for your life to revolve around them, especially at this young age. Thanks for sharing little snippets!

Roasted veggies over rice or quinoa is a favorite meal of mine. Yum! I’ll definitely add some goat cheese next time!

Yay for summer and sunshine! xo

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Tracy, and yes, try that combo with goat cheese. Love it. Also good with basil walnut pesto. Mmmm. :)

Elaine June 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Nice to hear from you!!! Love hearing your meal ideas….they are always good!!

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Elaine. :)

Nan June 20, 2014 at 9:31 pm

It’s wonderful to read your blog again. I’ll definitely be making the rice bowl this weekend. Looks so yummy! I just love your twinkle lights idea, too. That would’ve been a lifesaver when the kids were little. So glad you’re enjoying your time with you family!

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Nan and hope you enjoy the rice bowl. It’s also really yummy with pesto. :)

Cindy June 20, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Where did you get the skirt? It is pretty and looks very comfortable! Your meal idea is great…..simple, yummy, healthy, perfect. Nice job protecting your children from the internet. Good choice and one they will be very appreciative of when they are older.

HEAB June 21, 2014 at 7:22 am

Hi Cindy,
The skirt is from the GAP: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=960252002&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gap.com%2Fproducts%2Fwomens-dresses.jsp. I ordered it when they were having their Memorial Day Sale, but looks like they’re having another sale today. If you enter “BONUS” at checkout, you get 35% off. The skirt is so comfy and can be worn 4 different ways, including a strapless dress. I love it – the fold-over waste band hides my lumpy bits. :)

Lou June 21, 2014 at 2:08 am

Wahoooo 2 posts!! Great to see (read) you back :D Love that skirt!

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Lou! :)

Lori June 21, 2014 at 9:07 am

I heard that rice only keeps for a day or two in the fridge. False? Do you keep it in a large container or in smaller servings? Do you freeze the rice?

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Hey Lori,
We usually keep rice for up to 3 days in the fridge with zero problems and store it in a big pyrex glass dish. I’m sure I’ve eaten rice that is older than that and never had it spoil on me.

Purelytwins June 21, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Love hearing from you and seeing how everyone is doing ;)

love the long skirt!

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Lori and Michelle. :)

Ameena June 22, 2014 at 5:46 am

Really good idea to keep your children off the Internet…I should have done that but of course didn’t think of it back when I started the blog. She’ll probably hate me when she’s older!

Pretty skirt…looks great on you.

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Ameena – love that skirt, and Maya gets even with you when she references your frizzy hair in her guests posts. ;)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) June 22, 2014 at 9:24 am

i don’t own one single maxi! i need this to change bc you make them look so breezy and comfortable! the christmas lights sound like such a cute idea—i wish my parents would have used fun ideas like that for me growing up!

you are such an inspiring mama heab! it’s really nice to hear how fulfilled you are in the current course of your life at this moment :) i hope your joy continues to grow!

HEAB June 22, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Melissa, and I can’t take credit for all the fun ideas. Very grateful for Pinterest. ;) I am enjoying this phase of life. It’s so sweet and rewarding, and I know it’s only going to get sweeter.

Now go buy thyself a maxi if not several. THE BEST!

The Dainty Pig June 23, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Sooooo lovely

HEAB June 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Susan June 23, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I am so happy to have not one, but two new posts to read! I completely respect your decision to make family number one priority, but I so miss your blog. Such smart advice, great ideas, beautiful crafts and pictures!! Thanks for taking time to put out a few posts and enjoy your summer. I smile when the sun shines, too and am savoring every minute of the season.

HEAB June 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Thank you Susan. I miss blogging and hope to pop in more often. Thanks for sticking with me, and I hope you’re enjoying your summer as well. :)

natalie@thesweetslife June 23, 2014 at 8:32 pm

aw I miss your blog and would love to see and hear more about your sweet family, but I totally understand your hesitation there!! Thanks for popping in occasionally!

HEAB June 24, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for sticking with me Natalie. :)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run June 27, 2014 at 1:26 pm

love that skirt!

HEAB June 29, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Hillary. Me too. :)

kellie July 6, 2014 at 3:10 pm

i am so excited to “see” you “back” LOL…. i get the whole “keeping the kids off the internet” but I sure do miss your posts :) so. feel free to post about your dogs, your food, your hubs, your house, your yard… LOL

HEAB July 6, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Hi Kellie,
I’ll keep posting when I can. Thanks for sticking around…and trust me, you don’t want to see pics of our yard. ;)