The Little Things Part II

by HEAB on July 7, 2014

Snacking on buttered and salted popcorn with bacon, candied walnuts, and chocolate chips.

A few weeks ago, I took the kids to tour a local dairy farm, and while there, I purchased some of their whole cream.  My morning mug (or two…okay, three) of coffee never tasted so good.

We LOVE pesto around here, but buying fresh basil from the grocery store gets expensive.  The above basil plant cost me $10, and it has supplied us with homemade pesto all summer…well, for most of the summer anyway.  I got a little pesto happy two weeks ago, and I’m eagerly awaiting for my plant to fill out again.  When it’s low on leaves, we end up with more of a walnut-Parmesan dressing with basil (see photo below), but close enough!

My go-to pesto recipe here (toast the walnuts, use half the garlic, skip the butter, but add the salt).

I have searched and searched for an all natural deodorant that actually works, and I FINALLY FOUND IT!  Love the above stuff.  My scent of choice is patchouli.  Now, I love me some patchouli, but I don’t like to reek of the stuff.  However, the scent of this deodorant is light and perfect and makes me so happy.  Plus, it works really well.  I’ve been using it everyday for about a month and have barely made a dent in the jar.  So happy to have found you Happy Hippy!

Any other all natural products (that work really well) that I should know about?  My shower and kitchen sink could sure use some help as I have found nothing natural that works quite like Comet. :(

Lauren July 7, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hi Heather! Have you ever tried Shaklee products? They work amazingly well and I so appreciate how Shaklee is a green company, their products are always safe and always effective. Definitely try their scour off paste-works so well without any toxicity and is so inexpensive. I am a distributor for them, but honestly you probably know someone who is as well! Just in case :) http://www.laurenbreeden.myshaklee.com

HEAB July 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Hey Lauren,
I’ve heard of Shaklee but never tried the products. Thank you for the tip. I don’t think I know any distributors, and if I decide to order, I will do so through you. :)

Mary July 8, 2014 at 1:27 am

Bacon popcorn sounds really random! Think I’ll stick with the salted variety! I’m such a lover of pesto but I’ve never tried making my own. Seriously need to have a go at this though. I have a basil plant on my kitchen window, so I’m all set!

HEAB July 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Mary,
No bacon?!? Haha, that’s okay, not everyone is a fan, but I highly recommend the candied walnuts. Makes such a good salty/sweet combo with the popcorn. So, make the pesto, and then candy any leftover walnuts. ;)

Susan July 8, 2014 at 5:12 am

Can I just say again, how truly inspiring your blog is? Every time I read an entry I am so motivated. Thank you for sharing!

Here is my idea for natural home and beauty: baking soda!
I have always used it in my hair (make a paste) about once/month to clean out any product build up. Recently I started using it on my face and body as an exfoliator. After using my crockpot recently, I was having trouble getting it totally clean and decided to try it and while doing that, I cleaned my kitchen sink. It works great and is non toxic and it’s inexpensive.

I hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful summer!
Take care.

HEAB July 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Susan,
I post such random stuff these days, and so I appreciate you still find my posts helpful. :)

Totally trying baking soda in my sink today. I’ve used it for cleaning our dishwasher – not sure why I didn’t think to try it on our sink. Sometimes the simplest solutions escape me. Thanks for the tip!

Kirsten July 8, 2014 at 5:48 am

Bar keepers friend is natural and works as well as comet IMO!

HEAB July 8, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Kirsten,
Others have recommended Bar Keepers Friend to me before, and I can’t remember if I tried it or not. Adding it to my “must-try” list right now. Thank you.

Jen @ Existential Evolution July 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Welcome back, Heather! I’ve missed your posts!

I feel like I have tried every natural deodorant out there with no avail. I must give Happy Hippy a chance! I just cringe when I have to put the toxic kind on so I don’t freak people out at work. Thanks for sharing!

HEAB July 8, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Jen,
Happy Hippy is so great – I discovered it via Instagram, believe it or not, and I’m really happy with the deodorant thus far. Let me know if you try it.

Katie July 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Love shaklee!! All non toxic, save our family so much money because they last so long, and work so well!!

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Katie,
Another commenter recommended Shaklee. I’ve never tried the company’s products but looked into them yesterday. Going to try some natural cleaners I already have around the house, but if they don’t work, might be placing on online order for the Shaklee scrub paste.

Brittany @thegingerlifeblog July 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Bacon in pop corn? You would:)
I haven’t gotten brave enough to try hippie deorant yet, but I LOVE my hippie coffe maker – the chemex.
Now excuse me while I go make some bacon-chocolate-nut-pop corn, because that sounds magical.

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Brittany,
One of my good friends just got a Chemex, but it sounds a little complicated as she and her husband seem to be having trouble perfecting a good cup of coffee. Sounds like you’ve had better luck. I’m curious to learn more about the process as I LOVE all things coffee.
Hope you enjoyed your popcorn! :)

lindsay July 8, 2014 at 6:19 pm

raw dairy is the best! it just feel so nourishing to drink as well. CREAM it up! and bacon of course

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Lindsay,
You know it! :)

Jennie July 8, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I don’t have a helpful bathroom cleaner recommendation – Method Le Scrub is my favorite but it looks like it’s been discontinued :-( Mostly I just wanted to say that I’m glad to see you posting again, Heather! I’ve missed reading your blog.

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Jennie,
Good to be back more often. :)

michelle July 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Really I can’t think of much that bacon doesn’t go with. I made candied bacon, chocolate chip cookies for a girls night out and they were a huge hit :) I clean my sink with a paste of vinegar and baking soda.

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Michelle,
I took that popcorn to an afternoon gathering of my best mom friends, and while our kids played upstairs, we ate popcorn. I think our friends would get along quite well as far as bacon + chocolate is concerned. ;)

And thanks for baking soda + vinegar tip. Several others have recommended the same. I will give it a go.

Holly July 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I use baking soda to clean just about anything. It’s great for the stove top, bath tub, and sink, and I even use it to clean up after the cats when they don’t make it into the kitty litter. If I mix a little diluted Dr. Bronner’s peppermint castile soap (only 9.99 at Trader Joe’s), then the house smells like Jr. Mints instead of kitty pee.

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Holly,
Good to know, and I love the idea of mixing the baking soda with Dr. Bronner’s. His peppermint soap is one of my faves…as were Jr. Mints back in the day. ;)

Lorne July 8, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Hey Heather,

I have been making our deodorant for a while now using a basic recipe I found online. http://beingomma.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/orange-pit-paste/

The last batch I made I decided to add Shea Butter. It is easier to scoop out of the jar as well as being nourishing to my pits. I love love love the orange smell (although I have made peppermint too for my dad and it was yummy smelling too). I am also making it for my sister and her husband who report great results.

I can’t see myself ever using store bought deodorant now I know how effective this stuff is, that it doesn’t contain any nasty chemicals and how simple it is to make. I love it :-)

Huggles to the babies :-)
Lorne

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Lorne, checking out your recipe right now!

Tracy July 9, 2014 at 10:43 am

Love walnuts in pesto! Much preferred to pine nuts. The dressing sounds delicious!!

I’m definitely going to seek out Happy Hippy! I’ve been on the search for natural deodorant for years. Thanks! And bath cleaner… you’re right about Comet…unfortunately.

Have a happy, sunny Wednesday, Heather!

HEAB July 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Tracy,
I agree. Walnuts > pine nuts! Hope you try Happy Hippy. I used Tom’s for several years and then tried Jason’s Tea Tree. Loved the way Jason’s smelled, but it didn’t work very well. I discovered Happy Hippy via a blogger’s post on Instagram and so glad I gave it a try.

Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) July 10, 2014 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the deodorant recommendation, I will check it out because I need one that works in this heat!

HEAB July 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm

You’re welcome. Love my Happy Hippy. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well July 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm

That popcorn combination looks KILLER. Thanks for the inspiration!

HEAB July 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm

You’re welcome. Enjoy – those candied walnuts are addicting!

Deadra July 10, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I want to put bacon in my popcorn so bad. I saw a recipe once that popped the popcorn in coconut oil with some maple syrup as well and it would caramelize on it, then add bacon and chocolate chips. I’ve been thinking about it a lot!
For kitchen cleaners, I love good ol’ dr. bronners in a foamer bottle (mix 3/4 water, 1/4 dr. bronners) I also use barkeeper’s friend, which is said to be nicer for the world than comet. Also standards of baking soda and salt. Oh and I have a plastic jar of vinegar with lots of lemon peels in it soaking, and I put it in a spray bottle and dilute with water, as I use the vinegar out of the jar I add more, I find it keeps the really strong vinegar smell away. Another option is to add EOs to it to make it less harsh.
I’m going to try your deodorant too! I also use Primal Pit Paste, which is good!
this is most excellent too,

HEAB July 11, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Deadra,
Oh my goodness, that coconut oil + maple syrup combo sounds divine. You know what else is really good on popcorn? Coconut oil + nutritional yeast. Summer goes to a little neighborhood play-school once a week during the school year, and her teacher sometimes makes it. Soooo good! I’ve been using lemon + salt to clean my cutting board, and it works great. So, I’m loving the idea of vinegar + lemon peels in a jar. That is brilliant, and I do love my Dr. Bronners. Just need a foamer bottle. Thank you for helping me keep my kitchen clean. :)

Laura July 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm

That popcorn looks delicious.

For deodorant, I’ve been really happy with Real Purity http://www.realpurity.com/bath-and-body/deodorant.html
It also has a mild smell and my husband even likes it. I found that the primal pit paste stained my clothes :(

HEAB July 11, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Thanks Laura,
It was. :) Also, thank you for the link to the deodorant. Rosemary + lavender sounds lovely and looks like it’s gotten some great reviews. I’m not familiar with Real Purity and about to have a good look through their site. :)

emma July 11, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for the natural deodorant suggestion! I have been searching and I will be trying this one out. thankfully it’s been not as hot in St. Louis this summer so it’s not been too much of an issue. :)

HEAB July 11, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Hi Emma,
You’re welcome, and hasn’t the weather been this summer? Nashville has been beautiful – not too hot here either, and I’m loving it. Hope you like Happy Hippy! :)

purelytwins July 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm

popcorn looks good!!

yay for natural deodorant, we have been on the hunt for years. We made our own a few years ago and did not really work. We look forward in trying this out.

HEAB July 11, 2014 at 10:02 pm

It was good! :)
Love my Happy Hippy deodorant, and there are several recommendations for other brands in the comments. I’ve had trouble finding a good natural one as well, but so far so good. :)

Jess July 12, 2014 at 6:44 am

Oh so cool natural deodorant that works! I havemega sensitive skin and seem to get eczema from so many not natural kinds, but I hate being stinky and have not found a decent natural one!

That popcorn is genius! Bacon and chocolate make everything amazing!

And that cream looks delicious!

Random question how do you manage all 4 kidlets out of the house? I have 3 under 4 and I have much to learn!

HEAB July 12, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Jess,
I have a friend who gets a red rash from a lot of natural deodorants on the market. I can’t remember what the ingredients is that causes it, but it’s in Tom’s and Jason’s. Happy Hippy doesn’t contain it, and there are several other great sounding deodorants mentioned in the comments on this post. Hope you find one that works for you.

And regarding getting out of the house with 4 – we have a nanny that helps me here at the house during the week. She is amazing and always up for an adventure. When she’s not here, I still manage to get out, but it definitely takes some prep work and good time management…and lots of snacks. Always lots of snacks! ;)

s July 12, 2014 at 8:37 am

lol, just commenting to say that that popcorn looks amazing.

HEAB July 12, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Ha, thanks S. It was!

Simone July 13, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi Heather – I use a natural deodorant bar bought from a UK company called Lush, https://www.lush.co.uk/products/teo the ingredients are: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar, Apricot Kernel Oil, Blue WaxTea Tree Oil, Magnesium Carbonate, Lemon Oil, Juniperberry Oil, Lemongrass Oi, lFresh Green Grapes, Blue Cornflower Petals Citral*Eugenol*Geraniol*Citronellol*Limonene*Linalool*Perfume

My current bar has lasted over 6 months and works perfectly – I’ll send you one if you email me an address for posting.

HEAB July 13, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Hi Simone, that’s so nice of you to offer, but Lush just opened up a store here in Nashville. I haven’t been yet but hope to go soon. I used to use their products when I lived in London. Not sure if they still sell Cherry Tree Lane or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, but those were my two favorite soaps. Thanks again for the tip!

HEAB July 13, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Haha, just looked on their site. They do still sell it, but it’s called, “Honey, I Washed The Kids”. I was close. ;)

Simone July 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Washing kids / shrinking kids – easily done :-)

mandi July 13, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Heather! Thank you so much for the spotlight on my deodorant. I received lots of deo orders this week and I’m thinking this may be why. ; ) I appreciate your kindness and I’m so glad your deodorant is working well for you. It’s all that works for us over here too. And I’ve tried them aaaallllllllllllll.

xo-
Mandi

HEAB July 14, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hi Mandi,
Oh, I’m so glad you received some orders as your deodorant is such a great product. I found it through Nesting Gypsy’s Instagram, and I’m so glad I did. It’s nice to find an all-natural product made with thought and care. So, thank you!
PS I also use your Happy Cheeks & Lips. Makes my lips so soft, and I love the blush it give my cheeks. Just a little rosy – perfect. :)

Chandler July 18, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Norwex! It has seriously changed our lives. I can clean my entire house with water and a Norwex cloth! For sinks, I use Norwex Cleaning Paste–it has 3 ingredients: Marble flour, coconut oil, and natural soap. It is AMAZING! And natural! I love the product so much, I became a consultant. If you don’t know anyone who sells it, I’d love to hook you up! Here is my website: http://www.chandlerdearth.norwex.biz I was skeptical before I started using it–but now I am a believer! I even use the Norwex body cloth and wash my whole body with just water–no soap needed. Seriously! Love it!

HEAB July 23, 2014 at 9:13 am

Thanks for the info Chandler. Never heard of Norwex. The cleaning paste sounds great – marble flour, huh? If I ever decide to purchase any, I will let you know. Thanks again!

Lorie July 29, 2014 at 10:38 am

Heather–
Baking soda and vinegar are the only cleaners I keep in my house. Works great on just about anything.

As for personal care products, I love Acure’s face wash, moisturizer, and body lotion. A bit pricey,but worth it for the peace of mind that I am putting only good things on my body!! I also love Badger products–their Damascus Rose Antioxidant Facial Oil is my go-to nighttime moisturizer.

I could go on and on about other (truly) natural products,but those are a few of my faves!

HEAB July 29, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Hi Lorie,
My baking soda and vinegar are stocked. Been using baking soda on my sink, and it works well. Just have to use a bit of elbow grease. I’m not familiar with Acure’s products, but I have seen Badger products at Whole Foods. I think I”ll try the Rose Facial Oil. I’ve been using oil on my face as a moisturizer (one I got off Etsy), and I’m almost out. Thanks for the tip. Sounds lovely. :)