Lately

by HEAB on August 17, 2014

Charlie and Katie’s room went from dark to light…

When we moved last year, we had three children two and under, and I was six months pregnant.  So, despite the fact that I did not like the color of Charlie and Katie’s room (AT ALL), the thought of painting it completely overwhelmed me.  Well, after living with it for a year, I could no longer take it and spent this past week painting.  Oh my gosh, it’s SO MUCH BETTER…and now I want to paint our entire house white.

In other decorating news, I was bored with our living room wall art and decided it was time for a change.  However, I didn’t want to spend  a lot of money on a big project.  So, I gathered digital files of photos I love from various people, had Staples blow them up onto engineer draft paper ($1.50 each) and used this spray adhesive to glue them to previously painted canvases I already had.  Done.

In traveling news, Chris and I took a quick trip to Colorado last weekend…

We drove from Denver up to Nederland and did the Diamond Lake Hike.  Colorado, I love you.

In food news, my basil plant has been slacking lately, but that’s okay, because I discovered that peas make a delicious substitute when it comes to making pesto…

Pesto recipe here, but I subbed 1/2 cup toasted walnuts for the pine nuts.  Remember when I used to have a bunch of food rules and only ate piles and piles of veggies instead of pasta?  That was silly.   Still love my veggies, but cooked brown rice pasta drenched in creamy pesto > raw spiralized zucchini drenched in creamy pesto.

Maggie @ say yes to salad August 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Love the white. It’s the best wall color! And totally agree on the pasta > piles of veggies ;)

I think having kids really gives you perspective on the important things in life.

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Maggie,
I know – I love love LOVE the white. So clean and crisp, and yes, kids totally change your perspective on things. Little K looks like he’s doing great. I don’t comment much, but I read all your posts, which reminds me I need to email you! :)

Susan August 17, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I adore how creative you are! I am so glad you had a nice trip to Colorado. I happen to love Colorado too and feel so blessed to call it home! Thanks for taking time to blog. When I see a post from you, it truly makes my day just a bit brighter.

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Susan,
You live in an amazing state. Perhaps the HEAB family will join you one of these days. :)

Thanks for reading – always happy to brighten your day. Wish I could do it more often!

purelytwins August 17, 2014 at 8:14 pm

LOVE white!! My dream home is all white. Lori is wanting a white kitchen but her husband isn’t liking that idea.

love the pictures!

and love Colorado too!

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Lori & Michelle,
I ADORE white white white, and I think Chris agrees that Charlie & Katie’s room looks a lot better, although he does prefer a little more color on the walls. Thankfully, we both dream of an all white kitchen and hope to have one someday. Show Gary some before and after pics of dark to white kitchens, and perhaps he’ll see the light. ;)

But, you have plenty on your plate for now. The time to paint will come, but for now focus on getting some rest and rubbing that belly!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) August 18, 2014 at 6:18 am

I love the refresh! We live in a rental apartment and because I always have it in the back of my head that we may travel and live somewhere abroad before we settle down, we haven’t put much effort into decorating the place at all. I was actually thinking about wallpapering a wall or something just for a change, but the thought of actually doing it feels overwhelming. Anyway! I love what you’ve done with the rooms. And yes, I tried to eat spiralized zucchini for a few years and… I just can’t. Great idea in theory, but a little pasta is so much more satisfying to me. :)

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Alison,
We’re actually renting our house – signed a 2-year lease. For the first year, I lived with the paint, but like I said, I couldn’t take it any longer. Took me three days to get it painted, and it was totally worth it! So, even if we’re only here another year, I’m already so glad I did it. Love even walking by their room and getting a glimpse of the bright walls – totally lifts my spirits. So, I say go for that change! :)

Lori August 18, 2014 at 6:20 am

I am getting ready to paint my entire house white (except the kitchen). Dreading the work, but looking forward to seeing it completed. I just need to decide on a which white now. It certainly looks beautiful in your nursery! Oh, your trip looks awesome. Colorado is so beautiful! Love seeing posts from your blog in my inbox. Blessings!

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Lori,
It will be soooo worth it!!! Oh you will love it – wish I had the time and energy to paint ours (and the $$$ – painting isn’t cheap!). I had Lowe’s color match Valspar paint to Benjamin Moore’s Decorator’s White. Had to prime with the Valspar, but I probably would have needed to do so with Benjamin Moore as well. We’re really happy with the color – a good clean white that isn’t too cool or warm. Exactly what I wanted.

the delicate place (@misathemeb) August 18, 2014 at 8:51 am

what a nice change! i love bright rooms–my entire house is white with light gray trim. i let the accessories do the talking :)

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Melissa,
White with gray trim – I LOVE that. Bet it looks great and a nice change from all white trim. I agree – let the accessories do the talking. :)

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 18, 2014 at 10:46 am

Love the idea of blowing up the prints and sticking them on canvas! I have been trying to think of something to brighten up our drab kitchen wall–this might be the answer.

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Catherine,
It was a really quick and inexpensive project. Some of the prints bubbled up in areas after gluing, but you can’t really tell from a distance. Really happy with how it looks! :)

Tracy August 18, 2014 at 11:52 am

I love the bright changes to the twins’ room. I bet they do, too!!

Exciting that you were able to get away to CO. I just love it this time of year! (I can’t handle the idea of going in the winter for skiing…brrrrr) Were you able to stay in a yurt like you did in years past? Memories…

And AMEN to real pasta with pesto! Although I really do love to eat zucchini noodles, too. It’s a yummy way to eat the bounty of zucchini available now.

Great to have an update! Is it school time for you yet? My kids started today :(
Why does summer have to pass soooo quickly??

Take care, Heather! xo

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Tracy,
We went a few times during the colder months, and both times, it was unusually warm. So, I’ve never experienced any extreme cold temps in CO…extreme hail? Yes, but not much cold. We’ve been spoiled, and the weather is usually perfect whenever we’re there. Love that state!

School has started here, but we’re not quite there yet. Summer does a one day a week Waldorf method play-school here in the neighborhood, but that doesn’t start until next month.

PS Zucchini noodles are good, but zucchini bread is even better. ;)

brittany @thegingerlifeblog August 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Yay Colorado! We are headed to Seattle later this week – can’t wait to escape the Louisiana heat – which is smothering at times.

Also love the cheap decor ideas. Always looking for cute ways to spruce our house up!

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Brittany,
I love Seattle, and it’s so pretty this time of year. Hope you guys have a blast!

The Dainty Pig August 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I just love you. And all your “lately’s”. And pasta > zucchini noodles for sure :)

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Jess, and yes, pasta (& brown rice) are two of my faves these days! :)

Clare August 18, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I used to read your blog all of the time, and then you took a break! I just recently decided to take a look and see if you had started back up, and obviously you have been back for a good while :) I love your blog, and I’m so glad it’s back!

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi Clare,
Thanks for checking in and welcome back! I post a lot these days, but try and write something whenever I get a chance. Hope to be back soon. :)

Ameena August 19, 2014 at 5:33 am

Something about having kids that doesn’t allow for food rules. LOL

I love the white…after years of painting rooms gray I love simplicity again.

Emily August 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm

The photo wall looks amazing!!! :)

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Emily – your skills definitely helped! :)

Jennifer August 19, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I really miss your blogging! However, kids>blogging I get it! I think we are kindred spirits and love what you have to say : )

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Jennifer. :)

Melanie August 20, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi, you probably already heard this, but there is a recall on several brands of Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Maranatha nut butters for possible salmonella. Check out FDA.gov for a full list. Just thought I’d give you heads up in case you didn’t hear!

Still love seeing posts from you!

HEAB August 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Hi Melanie,
Thanks for the info – good to know. I did hear about this, but it was a while ago. Has there has been another recall? I will check online. Thankfully, all we have right now is peanut butter (Smucker’s brand) and tahini, but I Trader Joe’s sunbutter is on my shopping list.

HEAB August 21, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hi Melanie,
I checked and saw the new recall. Thanks again for the heads up as we did have some Kroger brand nut butter – fortunately, just their peanut butter and no almond butter.

Sara August 21, 2014 at 8:47 am

I love all of your crafty ideas! We need some better art for our house. I need to remember some of these!

HEAB August 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thanks Sara. Love getting crafty around here! :)

Kelllie August 26, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Ditto about being happy to see a post from you. Can’t believe I’ve been reading since before kids! You know, when you were eating piles of veggies and doing yoga :)
Sooooo does that white have a name? LOL since there are about a zillion “whites”… And I’m REALLY considering some sort of white for my entry (it’s been Forrest green for toooooooo loooooong)

HEAB August 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Hi Kellie,
Haha – I sure knew how to pile on the veggies, no? I was laughing at myself when I ate a huge bowl of roasted green beans and carrots last night at dinner. Felt a little nostalgic. ;)

I had Lowe’s match Valspar paint to Benjamin Moore’s Decorator’s White. It’s a pretty pure white, but a little on the cooler side if you ask me. We have some green and blues in the room which might make bring out the cooler tones. I’m so happy with it! I also used a primer since I was painting over dark green. It took one coat of primer + 2 coats of paint, and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it makes! I say go for it – your entry will look so much brighter. :)

Kellie August 27, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thanks so much!

emma August 26, 2014 at 9:29 pm

The kids room looks great! Paint color makes such a difference. I’ve been doing some decorating around the house too….must be in the air. :)

HEAB August 27, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Emma, and yes, there is something in the air. The hints of autumn are bringing about change everywhere. :)

Kristen August 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hey Heather,

I’m writing an article for a national health and wellness website on the health benefits of nut butter and would love to include your voice and a recipe! It’s very last minute, so I’d need a response by tomorrow. I can’t find an email address for you. Please contact me directly if interested. I love your authenticity – great site!

Thanks,
Kristen

Pdub August 28, 2014 at 7:25 am

Heather! I just want to drop by to tell you that I found Dave’s Killer Bread (21 Whole Grains and Seeds) at my local Costco in NC yesterday! Had a slice toasted with scrambled eggs this morning, soooo good! :)

HEAB August 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Pdub,
No way – I was just at Costco. Literally, like an hour ago, and I bypassed the bread section. Ugh! Will look next time I’m there. Thanks for the heads up! Love Dave. :)

Samantha August 31, 2014 at 11:11 am

The white makes such a difference! It really enhances the natural light. And the room itself is just so fun!

Did the watercolor set ever make its way to you? I meant to check sooner but this move has had us upside down for weeks.

HEAB September 1, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Hi Sam,
Yes, love white! So refreshing, and no, I haven’t received the watercolor set, but it might be in the mailbox right now. We’ve been out of town for a few days, and I need to check. Thanks again for sending and please let me know how much and where to send a check. Hope you guys are feeling settled back in the States!

erha skin care September 2, 2014 at 6:13 am

If you wish for to increase your experience just keep visiting this website and
be updated with the newest news posted here.

gluten free diet September 3, 2014 at 4:46 am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!

Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for
such information much. I was seeking this particular
information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

stamped concrete pool deck September 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I am truly happy to read this blog posts which contains plenty of useful facts, thanks for providing such data.

Fwdurl.Net September 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this website needs far more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the information!