Feeding Friends

by HEAB on March 10, 2015

Chris and I love having people over for dinner, and it’s extra fun now since most of our friends starting having babies right around the same time we did.  So, our quiet little get-togethers of a few years ago are a little louder and a lot messier, but everyone always has a good time.  Plus, now that we all need to hire babysitters to go out for dinner, it’s easier on everyone to just enjoy an earlier dinner together, kids included.

In the past, I used to spend hours cleaning the house and plan an elaborate menu (for me anyway – I never get too fancy in the kitchen), but now we keep it really simple and kid-friendly…and my house is far from sparkling.  We have a few go-to menus, including take-n-bake pizzas plus salads (Costco has the best take-n-bakes!) or a taco salad bar.  However, this past weekend, we tried something new, and I’d thought I’d share it with you if you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner party idea.

Sandwiches…

WITH BUTTER!!!

Inspired by this lovely lunch, I bought a couple loaves of French bread, slathered one half of each loaf in salted Kerrygold butter, and stuffed them with deli meat, cheese, and veggies.  We served roast beef + cheddar and ham + provolone and added sliced tomato and arugula for those who wanted veggies.  Butter is my new favorite sandwich condiment.  We served mustard and bread and butter pickles on the side along with a green salad, chips, hummus, and fruit.  Both adults and kids were happy.

Then came dessert…

A skillet cookie.

Note to self: when you make a skillet cookie, DO NOT make anything with taco seasoning in your cast iron the evening before.  Oops.  I just told everyone it was a Mexican chocolate flavored cookie and covered it in vanilla ice-cream.  Problem solved.

YUM!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel March 30, 2015 at 3:08 pm

hehe taco skillet cookie then? well it looked so good! I just love your blog. Going to be commenting more because I love your posts. Feels good to be back. xo

HEAB March 30, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Kelsey, welcome back. 🙂

Cindy March 28, 2015 at 8:51 am

Your blog is seriously fab! I discovered it last week and I can’t stop reading all of your posts. We have all the same tastes in food, too! 🙂 Can’t wait for your next post.

HEAB March 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Hey Cindy,
Thanks for reading – glad you found me. I always kind of cringe when people say they’ve been reading through old posts. Please forgive that whole cauliflower oat bran phase. Seriously not sure what I was thinking back then. 😉

Cindy March 30, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Hi Heather!
So happy to hear back from you. 🙂 Your old posts are incredible, and I like them just as much as the new ones. Cauliflower oat bran sounds like my kind of thing… LOL have you seen the weird stuff I eat? 🙂

HEAB March 30, 2015 at 8:40 pm

No, let me go take a look…

Health Bee March 28, 2015 at 1:20 am

Love the mexican chocolate flavored cookie. Creative! 🙂

Kerrygold butter is my favorite too.

HEAB March 29, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Kerrygold makes me happy. The Best! 🙂

brittany March 18, 2015 at 10:05 am

Ha, Heather eats real butter too! I will never forget the first time I had butter on a sandwich, I was on vacation in Germany and starving. It was divine.

HEAB March 18, 2015 at 10:09 am

Hi Brittany,
Right?!? Soooo good!
Love,
HERB 😉

Sarah @ RunningChickago.com March 17, 2015 at 8:43 pm

that skillet cookie looks great – – do you have a recipe?!

HEAB March 18, 2015 at 10:08 am

Hi Sarah,
Yes, here is the link to the skillet cookie recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/355774/skillet-baked-chocolate-chip-cookie. It was more dry and crumbly after mixing when compared to regular cookie dough, but it turned out great.

Ameena March 13, 2015 at 7:12 am

I’ve found that if I put butter on just about anything, people around here will eat it. Have you tried radishes with butter on sourdough / French bread? Really quite an amazing combination!

HEAB March 13, 2015 at 9:20 am

Ameena,
Raw radishes + butter, huh? Well, I love just about anything on sourdough, and so I’ll try it. Never would have thought of that combo.

Kerry March 12, 2015 at 2:21 am

That cookie looks amazing, never seen one before! x

HEAB March 13, 2015 at 9:21 am

Kerry,
It was. I highly recommend it…minus the taco seasoning. 🙂

Jules March 11, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Oh, yum! I <3 sandwiches. Once I was on a road trip with my Polish friend and her parents and her mom made these amazing sandwiches that were just butter and cucumber on bread…it was honestly one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, and it was so simple! Butter is a great condiment 🙂

HEAB March 13, 2015 at 9:23 am

Jules,
Someone else recommended radishes + butter. Apparently, I need to try more veggie + butter combo sandwiches – never would have thought of these combos. Bet it’s delicious with crisp cool cucumbers! Sounds like a perfect summer lunch!

Emily March 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

I would eat that skillet cookie with taco seasoning sprinkled all over it. It looks so good!!! xo

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Emily,
I’ll have one waiting for you. 🙂

Ana March 11, 2015 at 9:51 am

Your party sounds lovely Heather!! Ah, and the sandwich idea is also great for kids bday party as yours get older. In the past few years we have been doing that and the boys love it here. In fact, Matheus’ bday is coming up on the 25th and we were just planning a sleepover, he invited 9 boys (yes, 9! can you imagine ten 13 yo boys sleeping over together?! my house is going down hahaha!) and what we do is we do subs + cake. I buy the bread, deli meat, cheeses, condiments, slice some tomatoes, buy pickles and chop lettuce, then they each build their own sandwich – it is fun, interactive, and they really enjoy! (plus, way cheaper than pizza haha! We did pizza one year and these boys eat a ton so subs it is!)
And I really laughed with the skillet cake as I have done the same, paprika sticks to the skillet huh?! And Indian spices/turmeric do too, that’s what happened to me once. My dish turned out yellow and with an Indian flare due to the previous dish I had made and the seasonings/flavors were still in the skillet even though we washed well hahaha!! I love your Mexican chocolate idea, just perfect!!!
Love reading your posts!!! 🙂
Hugs,

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Hi Ana,
No, I cannot imagine ten 13 year old boys staying under my roof. Good luck with that. 😉 I’m sure it will be a good time, and thanks for the sandwich tip. I’ll keep subs in mind for future parties.
PS – I’ve made cookies with turmeric before, and they were pretty delicious. So, maybe next time I make a skillet cookie, I’ll cook Indian the night before. 😉

Meagan March 10, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Hehe! Good call. It’s like when you burn the tomato sauce, you add some cinnamon to help cover up the flavor, and then call it “tuscan” tomato sauce!

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Meagan,
Exactly! 🙂

elise March 10, 2015 at 8:12 pm

i look forward to the not so early bedtimes, but it may be a while…that said, my mom friends and i just agreed that this needs to happen more often:

bc they all know about P’s allergies and who cares if we are in messy houses with kiddos running around…right?

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Elise,
Oh wow, I can so relate to that post. Love the concept and need to organize something like this with my friends…or I guess just show up. No organization or cleaning required, right? 🙂

Liz S. March 10, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Oh, that skillet cookie… excuse me while I stare at that beautiful dessert, haha. Great, delicious meal ideas!

Sending hugs, HEAB!

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Liz,
Well, don’t just stare. Come on over and have some! 🙂

Tracy March 10, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I get the comment “my house is far from sparkling”… I like to say our house is very comfortable and “lived in”! I gave up trying to keep up after my kids a long time ago. Teens have sooo much stuff.

Sounds like a fun dinner idea! Those sandwiches reminded me of foil wrapped and oven baked ham, cheese and butter sandwiches my friend’s mom used to make. Yum!

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Tracy,
You make me fear the teenage years as I already think toddlers have way too much stuff. Ha!

The only thing better than ham + cheese + butter would be ham + MELTED cheese + butter. Yum indeed.

Maggie March 10, 2015 at 7:08 pm

also don’t make anything with fish the night before. That is the worst!!

Butter is the perfect condiment, I agree 😉

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Maggie,
Yeah, Mexican chocolate > salmon infused chocolate. 😉

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) March 10, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Lately, I’m all about the simple meals as well. We are currently travelling and staying with family in Munich. I wanted to cook them dinner as a thank you, but felt worried about trying anything too complicated. So, I just made Asian-style meatballs with a simple veggie stir-fry and steamed rice. Nothing fancy by any means, but it was tasty and they seemed (I hope!) impressed. That Mexican inspired-cookie looks fantastic!

HEAB March 11, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Alison,
I would have been impressed with Asian style meatballs. Sounds like a delicious meal! 🙂