Yoga and Chocolate

by HEAB on June 4, 2015

A few months ago, my best friend asked me which local yoga classes and studios I liked.  I mentioned one studio that I knew of close to her neighborhood and encouraged her to go, but I felt so disconnected from my yoga practice that I really didn’t have any advice beyond that.  It had been so long since I’d been on my mat – I posted about doing a 30-day yoga challenge last year, and I hardly did anymore than a few sun salutations.  Recently, this same friend told me that after feeling completely intimidated by yoga studios, she’d decided to just try some online classes and discovered a great site called Yoga With Adriene.  It was another 30-day gig, and she was just so excited about it, that I told her to email me the info.  I thought, here I go again, talking about committing to something I just don’t feel like doing (why do we do this???), but I got the email and signed up, deciding I had nothing to lose.  If this Adriene girl’s daily emails cluttered up my life, I’d simply hit “delete” and go about my day.

Day 1: I actually got on the mat.  It took two attempts, but I did the entire video.  My body felt great, and I decided that Adriene is adorable.  Day 2 happened, and by Day 3, I was hooked and sore and wanted to visit Austin and hang out with Adriene in person.   Y’all, I did not miss one day in the entire 30 Days of Yoga series, and I was actually excited about carving out time everyday for some yoga.  It’s been YEARS since this has been the case – 4.5 years to be exact.   After Summer’s arrival, I did yoga here and there, but my heart wasn’t really in it.  Then came Charlie and Katie.  2012 brought a lot of joy coupled with a lack of sleep, and by the time I was pregnant with Hannah, my mat was sitting in a closet collecting dust.  For the past few years, yoga hasn’t been a priority, but I knew I’d come back to it someday – when I was ready, and I guess my body, mind, and heart decided they were finally ready.  It’s so so SO good to look forward to sun salutations and Child’s Pose, and Savasana again.

My heels don’t touch the floor in Downward Dog, and my Chaturangas are pretty rusty, but I’m just doing what feels good, and it’s SO good.  The last video of the series was today, and I’m pretty bummed it’s over.  I’m not sure what’s next for my yoga journey, but I know I’m going to be practicing more often now.  If you’re looking to get into yoga or have been doing yoga for years, I highly recommend Adriene.  There is no charge for her 30 Days series, and she offers several free videos on her YouTube channel as well as some other series and classes that charge a fee.  By the way, I have no connection with Adriene – I just really enjoyed her classes and wanted to spread the word.

Another good friend gave up sugar for the next three months, and in an attempt to encourage her, I told her I’d do the same.  But then I quickly decided that life with four kids and no sugar during the summer months is no fun.  So, I altered my plan a bit and decided to give up Dove milk chocolates (um, I was eating way too many of those little blue squares of goodness).  We’re still eating a lot of beans, rice, and veggies around here – I’m just not ending every meal with chocolate…at least not milk chocolate.  Still loving my Baker’s unsweetened!

Lentil Stew with brown rice.

Above bowl contained sauteed bell peppers and onions, baked potato, and avocado.  I’m obsessed with covering everything in Frank’s Red Hot  (have been since my last pregnancy) and nutritional yeast, AKA golden sprinkles at our house.

So, that’s it from me.  Yoga, no milk chocolate, and lots of golden sprinkles.  It’s a good season. 🙂

kk June 16, 2015 at 7:20 am

Thanks for the encouragment- I’m on day 6 of Adriene! I’m on a journey to get some muscle tone back after two kids and yoga feels so good-unlike some of the other high impact exercise videos on the market!

HEAB June 16, 2015 at 9:13 pm

kk,
So happy to hear it! Yoga is definitely my favorite way to get the body moving. Always feels so good. Did the steady state cardio thing for years and then switched to more HIIT-type workouts. No thank you – not for me anymore. Yoga is my fave. 🙂

Heather June 8, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Yogaglo.com has been a game changer for me. Especially the yin classes!

HEAB June 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Great, thanks Heather. Good to know. I love yin classes. Feels so good after a lot of vinyasa flows.

Tracy June 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Ahhh I just loved this post!! Yoga and dark chocolate are 2 of my loves <3

I knew you'd get back to yoga eventually! I know how much you loved it before Summer came along. So glad you've found your mat again and I hope it continues! My commitment to yoga hasn't waned. As a matter of fact I'm about to deepen my practice by starting yoga teacher training next weekend!! Wish me luck!

Namaste 🙂

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Tracy, and I am so excited that you are starting yoga teacher training. Oh my gosh, that is awesome. Please keep me posted – I’d love to hear more about it as I’d love to do something like that someday. So great! 🙂

Liz S. June 5, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Hooray for yoga and extra dark chocolate :). I too love the Yoga With Adriene videos – great resource. So glad you’re enjoying yoga again and the summer months! And a life without any chocolate isn’t living (in my opinion, haha). Happy weekend to you, Heather! Xo

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Liz,
Life without chocolate – yeah, that sounds completely lame. Love you friend and hope you’re enjoying your summer as well. 🙂

Ashley June 5, 2015 at 11:32 pm

I absolutely adore Adrienne too!

Cherie June 5, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I’m glad you’re carving some time out for yourself and back into yoga. You look great and between your article and all the comments, I have to try Adriene’s site out!

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Cherie, and yes, you should totally try out Adriene’s videos. She’s great. Always good to carve out some time for ourselves – for all of us. 🙂

Susan June 5, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I have been doing Yoga with Adriene for almost a year now! I did the 30 days of yoga in January right before I went on a week long yoga retreat in Tulum. I LOVE HER. Not surprised that you do, too. She’s just great. Thanks for another awesome blog post. Your food looks amazing. Makes me want to come to your state and hang w/ you so you can cook for me!! Take care, Heather.

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Susan, a week long yoga retreat in Tulum?!? Oh my gosh, so jealous. Bet that was amazing. Please come hang out with me anytime. We’ll eat yummy food and do yoga with Adriene. Sounds like a good time to me! 🙂

Julia June 5, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I love when I go to your blog and a new post is up! Your posts are always so encouraging and have such beautiful photos 🙂 I love Yoga with Adriene!

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Aww, thanks Julia. Good to hear – I love writing posts when I can, and your comment was so encouraging. 🙂

Hillary June 5, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I always love seeing a new post pop up from you. I have also recently gotten back into a practice (mostly in my tiny office over lunch) but Leslie Fightmaster has a youtube channel that is wonderful. I can pick out something short if I just have a few minutes or I can practice something more complex with her focused videos. Truly a lifesaver. It has reminded me why I like yoga so much. Enjoy!

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Hillary,
Several others have recommended various sites, and I look forward to checking them out. So grateful for all the free online options these days, and I’m adding Leslie Fightmaster to the list. And kudos to you for making time to do yoga in your office. It truly is a lifesaver! 🙂

Diana June 5, 2015 at 10:39 am

OMGosh, I am the same with Frank’s. I put that stuff on everything! 😉 Ha.

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Diana,
Right? We buy Frank’s in bulk from Costco. I was never a “heat” person, but I craved it like crazy when I was pregnant, and now there’s no looking back. Good to know I’m not alone. 🙂

Sara June 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

I slacked off with my practice for several years after having kids. I started back this year and I love Yoga with Adriene! Yoga by Candace is another great YouTube series, her voice is really relaxing.

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Sara – good to know. I’ll have to look up some of Candace’s videos. Grateful for all the online options for yoga these days.

Hasu June 5, 2015 at 8:40 am

You can do free yoga classes online though YogaInternational.com. Right now they’re doing a 7 day series on backbends. All you’d need to do is sign up via email. I have no affiliation with them other that I like their classes. Yoga brings that stillness of mind that is so necessary. Enjoy!

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Thank you Hasu – I will check it out soon. So many online options these days for yoga. I’m grateful.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) June 5, 2015 at 1:19 am

Thanks for the tip about the 30 day yoga trial! I’ve fallen off the yoga wagon so hard, I wasn’t even sure if I’d get back on it after several unsuccessful attempts over the last few years. And to think at one point I was costing out teacher training in Bali and trying to figure out how to get my boss to allow me to take a one month level of absence. 😉 I’m going to try it and see if it helps me get back into the groove. Yoga gave me something running doesn’t. I don’t think I can cut myself off chocolate, though! I mean, maybe I can in theory but I would be very grumpy as it’s one of my last vices! 😉

HEAB June 7, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Hi Alison,
Oooh, I hope you try Adriene’s videos. I did a new one today – she put out a June playlist with a different video for everyday. So great, and you can tell she truly cares about her audience. And no need to cut chocolate out of your life – that sounds like zero fun. Still loving the dark stuff myself. 🙂