A Sleepy Project

by HEAB on June 7, 2015

Anthropologie catalogs sure at pretty, no?  Of course my eyes just about pop out of my head when I see the prices, but I love perusing the pages for inspiration and styling ideas.  One arrived in the mailbox this week, and while flipping through the pages, I decided I needed to do something with those lovely photos. Getting crafty is such an outlet for me, and I needed an outlet this week.  Let’s just say that we got a lot more sleep when the kids were babies.  These three and four year-olds don’t like to nap much, and they always wake up with the sun.  So yeah, I’m grateful for art making and coffee (& yoga is still going strong!).  Anyway, back to Anthro.  Earlier this week, Charlie and I cut out 4 x 6 sized photos from the pages of the catalog.  I then used Mod Podge to glue them to cardboard, and about 20 minutes later, I spread another layer of Mod Podge on top.  Some wrinkles appeared, but they don’t bother me – adds a little character and texture in my opinion. ( You don’t have to use Mod Podge.  Rubber cement is another good option for a project like this.)  A few hours later, I covered some of the photos in white paint thinned with water and then wiped it away.  I flung some paint on a few (literally) and left some as they were.  Had no idea where I was going with this, but it was fun.  The next morning, Charlie (always the first one awake) sat with me in the driveway while I cut all my photos out of the cardboard.  We had fun ripping the edges and making a mess.   And now, we have some pretty postcards or wall art or thank you notes – lots of possibilities.

You could easily hang these on a gallery wall with Command strips.

The one below on the left had some words printed on the page, and I just covered them up with white and brown paint.  Might be fun to write a little message or quote on it and send to a friend.

There you have it – a fun and easy project that took very little time.  And now we’re off to write some cards – big fans of snail mail over here!

Jen June 24, 2015 at 10:13 pm

This is a fun idea! I have a “vision/inspiration book” I keep with collages of the beautiful photos from the Anthro catalogue. I love grouping images that inspire me for some reason (pretty birds, vibrant colors, scenes about love, etc.) and going back to look at it when I need a pick-me-up!

HEAB June 25, 2015 at 9:06 am

Jen,
Thank you. I love the idea of a vision/inspiration book. That would be a fun way for me to “journal” as I don’t like writing in a journal so much, but I would love to cut out different pics or images and put them together in a book. I’ve been meaning to upcycle an old book into an art journal. This was the reminder I needed. And I love the idea of using it as a pick-me-up when needed. 🙂

Ameena June 9, 2015 at 3:59 pm

What a cute idea…I love Anthro’s catalogues. They do an amazing job making each one so unique.

PS: I gave up trying to sleep past 6 am. Even if Maya doesn’t get up, I’m always awake by 5:30 now. It’s a habit (thanks to her)!

HEAB June 10, 2015 at 7:42 am

Thanks Ameena, and yes, I think the habit of rising at dawn isn’t going anywhere. Oh well, at least when they’re teenagers, I’ll get to drink my coffee and enjoy some quiet time, right? That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. 🙂

Tracy June 9, 2015 at 10:43 am

Oh my gosh…love!!!! So creative. They turned out great!

It won’t be long before you can sleep like the rest of the normal humans without toddlers! 😉

Keep up that yoga, mama!!

I love seeing some posts from you! Please keep ’em coming. xoxo

HEAB June 9, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Tracy, and good to know that I’ll be sleeping in past 6 AM someday.
Thanks (as always) for the encouragement. 🙂

Liz S. June 7, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Definitely love this! And I hope snail mail never fully goes “out of style.” It’s fun to receive (and write) actual letters/postcards 🙂

Susan June 7, 2015 at 8:18 pm

I love this. I do art projects to escape the real world for a bit. Even if I am not totally in love with the result, that is OK because it is the process that fills my soul. I am definitely going to give this a try. Thanks for the awesome idea.