Our kids like hummus, and they also like to crawl in bed with us first thing in the morning. I love the early cuddles, but I do not love smelling garlic breath at 5:30 AM. No thank you. So, we stopped buying hummus in bulk at Costco and started making our own garlic-free version. That breath was bad, y’all! I developed the recipe below about 15 years ago and dug out my old recipe notebook to find it. Does anyone feel like their recipes were more organized pre-Pinterest, or is that just me? Anyway, it’s pretty simple and super yummy, even without any garlic.
Homemade Black Bean Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas (or any canned bean)*
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (2 TBSP)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 clove crushed garlic (omit if trying to avoid early morning garlic breath)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup drained liquid from canned beans for thinning
- Drain and rinse beans, saving the canned liquid drained from the beans.
- Combine all ingredients except for the canned liquid in a food processor and process until well combined. While your food processor is still running, slowly add the liquid until your hummus reaches desired consistency.
*We normally cook our own dried beans, and I hope to try this recipe soon with homemade beans or chickpeas using the cooking liquid to thin out the hummus. Just might need to add a bit more salt.
And speaking of salty dips, I’ve been making a lot of cashew cheese sauce lately…
Back in my vegetarian days, I lived on this stuff, and after sampling some vegan nachos on a recent trip to California, I started making it again as soon as I returned home to Nashville. It makes a wonderful dip or sauce. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
From the Country Life Vegetarian Cookbook (my most used cookbook!)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (I use a cup of cashews, because I prefer a thicker sauce)
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 3 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 oz jar pimentos
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 TBSP)
- Combine all ingredients in high speed blender until creamy