A Natural Alternative To Goo Gone

by HEAB on April 11, 2016

That sticky stuff left on glass after removing a sticker or price tag?  The worst, right?

IMG_1510

After cleaning up a jar the other day to use for flowers, I thought I’d share one of my favorite life hacks.  I think I read this tip on the Internet years ago – it’s no big secret, but whenever I mention it to people, they’ve often never heard of it before.  So, here you have it – the secret to removing the goo…

IMG_1512

Eucalyptus oil.  That’s it.  First peel and scrub as much of the sticker off as you can.  Then saturate a cotton ball with eucalyptus oil (available at health food stores in the essential oils section),  and simply rub the sticky residue until it’s all gone.  Then rinse with soap and water.  I usually run the jar through the dishwasher to get rid of the strong eucalyptus smell, and I toss the used cotton ball into the bottom of the diaper pail to make opening that thing a little more pleasant.

We re-use all sorts of jars for storing homemade sauces, holding crayons & markers, and for giving flowers to friends (or myself).  Sunflowers in a salsa jar went to some friends who had us over for dinner last night,

IMG_1509

and that applesauce jar pictured above now adorns our dining room table.

FlowersInCleanJar

Happy De-Gooing!

beth May 9, 2016 at 8:44 am

i am a jar collector, so appreciate all wisdom of whim and charm; am sorry to hear…a special happy mom’s day to you, find your path, love. you will.

HEAB May 9, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Thank you Beth. It was a hard day, but despite the sad moments, there were a lot of happy ones too. Thank you for your kind words. Needed to read them today.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 20, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Haha I always re-use jars, mostly my peanut butter jars to use as drinking glasses because I’m a cheap college student who doesn’t buy real glasses. I’ll have to try this!

HEAB April 20, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi Alex,
Hope all is well at college – I remember when you were looking at schools. Sounds like you’re living wisely and making good use of those nut butter jars. Cheers. 🙂

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Yes! It’s going well, graduating in 2 weeks-it’s crazy how fast it’s gone by. Nut butter jars brought me through (: Hope you are doing well!

Cherie April 13, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I didn’t know it worked for that. I’ll have to pass this tip on too! Thanks.

I was just thinking the other day that it has been a while since I saw a post from you. Good to hear from you Heather. Hope everyone and everything is going well?!

Take care until next time!

HEAB April 14, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Hi Cherie,
I know – I miss blogging. There are so many posts in my head, but they rarely make it the keyboard these days. We’re doing okay. Enjoying this spring weather, that’s for sure. We LOVE picnic weather. 🙂 My mom passed away earlier this year shortly after being diagnosed with bone cancer. So, that’s been sad and really hard. We miss her terribly, but we’re hanging in there. Hope all is well with you.

ashley April 26, 2016 at 9:19 am

Oh, Heather, much love to you and your family!

HEAB April 26, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Thanks you Ashley. That means a lot. 🙂

Marty April 12, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Awesome Heather! I’ve actually tried GooBGone on bottles with not 100% success, I love the idea of eucalyptus oil instead! Love the smell, and far healthier! 💖

HEAB April 14, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Hi Marty!
The eucalyptus oil works really well. One of my favorite tricks. Hope all is well. Where are you living these days???

Tracy April 12, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Wow! Thanks, Heather! So simple & useful.

Great to hear from you! Hope all is well with you & your family! Happy Spring 🙂

HEAB April 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Hi Tracy,
You’re welcome. One of my favorite little tricks.

Most definitely loving this spring weather and enjoying lots of picnics. Hope you’re enjoying the season as well. 🙂

Susan April 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Wow…I didn’t know this. Thank you for sharing! I am going to try this…I have the oil and I love the smell so it’s perfect. Hope you are well. Love when you blog!

HEAB April 14, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Hi Susan,
It’s one of my favorite tricks – happy to share, and thanks for reading. 🙂

jojo April 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm

So sweet, Heather. Love that we can de-goo and be uplifted by eucalyptus at the same time. Win-win! Great to see you posting again 🙂

HEAB April 14, 2016 at 2:22 pm