Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
Recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry’s Chocolate Cream Pie
Coconut Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- In large bowl, combine almond flour and shredded coconut.
- Over low heat, melt coconut oil, remove from heat, and whisk in honey and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients into almond flour mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Press dough into pie dish and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before filling.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 can coconut milk + 15 ounces HEABified coconut milk (or simply use 2 cans of regular coconut milk)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional topping)
- Reserve 1/4 cup coconut milk. In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining coconut milk and salt to a boil; whisk constantly for 1 minute, then decrease heat to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the tapioca starch in the reserved coconut milk, stirring to make a paste. Raise the heat under the saucepan to high and add the tapioca paste to the saucepan, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the chocolate, stirring vigorously until it is completely melted. Let the filling cool, then pour the mixture into the crust. Top with toasted unsweetened shredded coconut and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set before serving.