HEABified Nutri-Grain Bars
So, Lou made these amazing looking fruit bars for her toddler, and I decided to make them for the HEABlet. In her post, Lou said I might utter the phrase, stupid Lou and her stupid BARS. Well, I did, sort of, but it was more like, Hello Heather, why don’t you ever read the entire recipe before just throwing everything in the food processor? Totally screwed up your directions Lou, totally my fault, but the result is by far one of the best baby food creations I’ve made yet. So, thank you! For once, my not paying attention to details worked to my advantage.
I present to you my version of Lou’s Friendly Fruit Bars…
- 3/4 heaping cup rolled oats
- 4 TBSP applesauce
- 2 TBSP milk (I used unsweetened vanilla rice milk)
- jam for filling (I used Trader Joe’s low sugar preserves)
- unsweetened shredded coconut for topping
- Combine oats, applesauce, and milk in the food processor. Should resemble a gloppy mess. Refrigerate said mess for at least one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉.
- Divide dough in half and then again and then again. So, you’ll have 8 blobs of dough. Dough will be wet and sticky.
- Working on a non-stick surface (I used parchment paper), flatten each dough blob, place a tsp of favorite jam in the middle, and roll/form into a stick.
- Place 8 sticks on parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 10 minutes.
These are delicious and do not fall apart. Thanks again Lou!