- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 TBSP (13 grams) flax seed meal
- 1 heaping TBSP tomato paste
- few shakes Italian seasonings (1/2 to 1 TBSP?)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grind rolled oats into oat flour using a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet. You may have to stop blending and stir with fork a couple of times.
- Combine remaining ingredients with oat flour.
- Allow flax seed to thicken the mix for about 10 to 15 minutes while you heat up your pancake griddle over low heat.
- Stir again and fry pancakes on griddle or in greased skillet over low heat.
For my toppings, I made Mae’s Humnut sauce: 1 TBSP Sabra’s Spinach Artichoke Hummus with 1 TBSP nutritional yeast and some water to thin. I then drizzled a bit of tahini over my whole plate and finished things off with a generous amount of freshly ground pepper. The pancakes were so moist on the inside, kind of crisp on the outside, and I loved the pizza-like flavor. I think these would taste amazing with a spread of pesto and a sprinkle of pine nuts, or for all you cheesy readers out there, top with a little crumbled feta and stick the pancakes under the broiler until the cheese melts. Ahhh, I’m drooling just thinking about it.